It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TIME Magazine publishes an article about my militia; The Ohio ODF

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I had just started getting involved with these great men when i met some men from TIME when we were doing some statewide training. They took a few things out of context, but hey what do you expect. This group has been around since 1989 so i don't want to hear people say they formed because of recent events, and they have also helped with disaster relief around Ohio.

I thought it was cool they even had a pic of me amongst them I currently don't know if this will be published in their hard copy or not.

This August weekend of grueling mock combat, which left some of the men prostrate and bloody-booted, capped a yearlong training regimen of the Ohio Defense Force, a private militia that claims 300 active members statewide. The fighters shot blanks, the better to learn to maneuver in squads, but they buy live ammunition in bulk. Their training — no game, they stress — expends thousands of rounds a year from a bring-your-own armory of deer rifles, assault weapons ...

Read more: www.time.com...

They do have a website if anyone wanted to read about them here sodf.org...

Like i said, they sure are fast to try and make things sound bad, well, you know the drill, but these are good old boys

What are your thoughts?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I wouldnt have done anything especially with Time. I know of a guy that was approached in the same way for his Unit and he told them flattly "NO." I know of another person that was the topic of a European Rag and that article made him out to raving mad. These newspapers and yellow papers are all are bias.

I would think especailly after what happened to the Hutaree and the connections to OVM and whoever else up there, I would think that they would keep their collective heads down for awhile.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

"It could be U.N. troops. It could be federal troops. It could be Blackwater, which was used in Katrina. It could be Mexican troops who are crossing the border." .....
Or it could be, as it was for this year's exercise, an Islamic army marauding unchecked because a hypothetical pro-Muslim President has ordered U.S. forces to leave them alone. But as the drill played out, the designated opponents bore little resemblance to terrorists. The scenario described them as a platoon-size unit, in uniform, with "military-grade hardware, communications, encryption capability and vehicle support."

Yea right and if they look hard enough they may run into Bigfoot, Godzilla or a platoon of well armed and savage Chupacabras.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Good for you and expressing your 2nd amendment rights, God bless you and your group...At least some of us are still Americans!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Well, i am prior service and i wont lie, some questions that the journalist had asked me, i flatly told him i wouldn't answer it. there are too many questions that can be taken out of context and i didn't want to leave room for error.

I think they did a good job though keeping them at bay without much firepower to be used against us, i mean they did say

As militias go, the Ohio Defense Force is on the moderate side.

and that coming from Time magazine...

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
this is why i wouldnt join a militia.
whats your next project -domestic terrorist weekly?
and why are you wasting all your ammo you knuckleheads-
dont you know theres a war on?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I personally don't think using ammo to practice and improve proficiency is a waste. i also do not believe there's anything wrong with being published in a news article as we have nothing to hide

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
People in these militias are just asking to be arrested.
How many members are informants or undercover cops that will do anything to set the members up for being arrested.
what do you think someone that has been caught up in a felony arrest will do to keep from going to jail.
en.wikipedia.org...
www.npr.org...
www.uaff.info...
www.adl.org...
www.wingtv.net...

The first rule of forming a militia or survival group is never call it a militia or survival group.

Hunting club. gun club, reenactment groups, are good covers.
I even know of one volunteer fire department that is a cover for a group.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
By the way do you happen to know what channels the press went through to get this interview? Time and date of youre training? Do you have a press officer/whatever and if so did he say how he was contacted? Did they just show up as far as you know without any prior warning? Did you guys get briefed?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I don't know who they contacted but i'm sure they knew prior (this was my first training event with them) and we were told by the command to watch what we say so it wouldn't get blown out of proportion. so i don't know what channels they went through, but it seemed like they had had it planned.

I'm sure what sparked their interest was the recent happening up in Michigan just last march. it sells, so there they were.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Mcintosh_gator1833

I would be a bit leary of a command in a unit like that, citizens milita, that doesnt give out more information to its members about something like this. Sounds to me like you got used for a pony show. May not be all bad depending, but a time mag article could serve the puppet masters. If you dont know what I mean you should study the matter i.e. its really not a citizens milita but a co-op.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
The command is just fine. And remember that month was my first time with them guys, which they did tell us when i got there, we all drove separate, its not like we rode a bus. they made sure i knew about them.

in all honesty it was just me testing the waters to see if i liked them, making sure they didn't promote anything illegal, or anti government, and i was very pleased with what i had found. very nice group of guys. they were very intelligent and I was surprised to see the level of professionalism and how much they knew about their roles and military tactics. most were made of civilians, but some were prior service.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

ok- ( 0 killed) carry on..
if you are not proficient yet ,i suppose you should practice.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Everyone is a member of the militia.
Be it an an army of one or hundreds.

That is all.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by p51mustang

ok- ( 0 killed) carry on..
if you are not proficient yet ,i suppose you should practice.

may I ask what extremist action I have taken in the past? I must have done something as you are obviously attacking me for upholding and standing behind the constitution...

ARE YOU ANTI AMERICAN!?

obviously a joke, but do you see your own irony? please tell me you do

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Did you look at this Time article? Its a dump piece a smear job and hay the leadership just opened the door and let the dogs in. They used you guys like a dog uses a tree.

By the way are you aware of the poor relationships between law enforcement and milita members around Zanesville ohio over the years? Some milita have been shot and killed!

The old prison property does the state still own that? And if so you were doing training on state land? How does that happen

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
yeah they didnt really stay on the right track with the article, alot of the reason for that is because we were not extremists like they had hope. i actually asked them what they thought, and he said

"well, this one is very tame, we were actually hoping to find a group a bit more radical."

but its the media guys, they lie and slit throats, you all ought to expect that no matter what the subject were to be.

and the zanesville prison, the old one anyways, is privatly owned by a family who let us use it, very nice of them.

the police actually stopped by while we were there just to check it out. i didnt talk to them but it didnt look like they had a problem at all. just checking it out. no tension at all.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

There was at one time a very nasty bunch down there in zanesville. Look it up may be some info on line.

edit on 1-10-2010 by Logarock because: (no reason given)

top topics

join