It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FreeBSD

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Does anyone use FreeBSD? I've been looking into it and there is easy to install versions like DesktopBSD and PC-BSD.

Is it better than Linux? Both are based off Unix.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I've used FreeBSD for years. I've always enjoyed it, but the principle differences between it and Linux are not things that are obvious for you to see. It's still just a unix-variant that gets distributed with a GUI framework (e.g. X11/XFree86/Xorg) and a window manager (e.g. Gnome, KDE, Xfce) . Are you just looking for a desktop OS? If so, and you're currently a Linux user, and all you really do is basic computer stuff, then I can't think of a single compelling reason for you to switch. Perhaps if you were a developer who was interested in BSD or wanted a safer out-of-the-box server OS it would make sense. But again, for the average user, the differences between BSD and Linux will mostly go unnoticed.

As far as ease of install, ease of transition from windows/mac environments to a unix-like environment, and general simplicity of use at home are concerned, it's hard to argue against any of the big Linux distributions.

edit on 3-10-2010 by bikeshedding because: (no reason given)

join