It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police: Gunman On University Of Texas Campus

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Just heard this on the radio. No more details available at this time.

AUSTIN, Texas -- There's been a report of a gunman on the campus of the University of Texas in Austin.

According to the university's website, an armed man was seen in the vicinity of the Perry Castenada Library.

The university asked that people on the campus remain at their current location and keep their doors locked.

www.click2houston.com...

I pray all goes well here. UT doesn't need another one of these. I will post more details when they are available. Anyone in the Austin area that can fill us in on more?

edit on 28-9-2010 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Well I can tell you at least this is not another Columbine copycat. Seems all these kids who are depressed do stupid stuff like this.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Just heard on local Fox news that the gunman has been found dead in the library.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TXTriker
Just heard on local Fox news that the gunman has been found dead in the library.

Thanks for the quick update. It's a sad situation, but could have been a lot worse.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Reports coming out say they are looking for a second gunmen.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
The Statesmen says they are looking for a second shooter.

But that is from almost an hour ago. I hope this turns out to be false.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Watching updates now. Says they are looking for a 2nd shooter. Will keep posting as I see stuff.

2nd line if needed. Austin Fox is what I'm watching via Houston Fox.

ETA: Houston Fox stays on until 10AM

edit on 9/28/2010 by TXTriker because: add additional comment

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
You can listen to a local radio station here for updates. here

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Spent $150 on new stuff this weekend to carry my weapon more comfortably and better concealed. I have had permission to carry my gun at work on state property for several months now, but I haven't had a comfortable way to do it. I finally shelled out the money to buy the right equipment, and I sit here at my computer in slacks and a regular dress shirt with my Bersa .380 auto tucked tightly under my arm and entirely concealed. I can access it in seconds, and nobody can detect it without a major patdown.

I don't think that was off-topic, because incidences like this UT thing today is what made me seek out the permission. It is what influenced my supervisors to approve the request (the only 1 they have ever approved!), and it is what convinced me to spend a little extra money to make it more convenient and comfortable.

In my job we get daily threats of violence. We have disgruntled employees, and an entire state full of disgruntled clients. Arrests are made around the state on a regular basis in response to these threats. It is only a matter of time before one shows up here at this office, and if they do, it won't be a typical killing rampage, because no gunman expects a state employee to be armed and ready to end the thing before it even gets started. I hope it never happens, but if it does, I am prepared.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Swat is going into the library.

No real information yet. Just reporters trying to sound important.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
There is a second gunman!
www.kxan.com...
Only in the Bible belt!!

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

You mean it only makes the news in the Bible Belt, because it is rare there. There are full-scale riots at inner city schools that never make the news! Shootings are common place either in schools or directly adjacent to the schools, but they are not important enough for national coverage.

Here at FSU, sexual assaults or attempted sexual assaults are a common (almost daily) occurence, but it isn't in the crime statistics, because the FBI database only pulls certain types of crimes, and it doesn't pull amended crimes. Therefore, when the police issue a warrant or make an arrest, they are careful to label the crime as a misdeamenor or a non-sex crime, and then let the prosecutor amend it the following day. Boosters are happy, parents are oblivious, and everyone goes about their daily lives like normal.

Surely you didn't mean that shootings are more common in the Bible Belt?

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
joker on CNN giving SWAT positions....CNN is going to get in trouble for this...I imagine they got TVS in a few places...my little school does.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I knew someone was going to reply. Funny how easy it is to make people look twice. I was being sarcastic. Yes people do this all the time everywhere. People are animals exercising they untamed nature. Many of them just kill or injure people. The Truth Hurts!

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Did anyone get a kill count?

No one is reporting casualties.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
So have both Gunmen been caught? I do hope no one else has been injured or killed.

One thought with the previous shootings that occurred, security would be stepped up. How come 2 Gunmen are able to get into a school. If Security was strict in schools nowadays over there in the US?

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

How did they manage to get a gun onto campus? I thought security measures were stepped up after previous shootings.

Security measures sure were stepped up. After Virginia Tech they lifted the restrictions of carrying your weapon on campus to even up the playing field! Now it isn't just the crazy criminals with guns, the average students are permitted to be armed as well. Mine is tucked away neatly at this very moment. Hopefully this will stop something like Virginia Tech from happening again, because the rampage won't go on and on. Someone will stop it quickly.

College campuses do not have any mechanism for detecting or stopping the carrying of a weapon onto campus. These are mini-towns with dozens of buildings. There would be no way to "secure" them effectively.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Word is a supposed 2nd shooter, as far as I can tell, no one knows that for sure yet.

They are keeping everything tight lipped....except this Micah kid talking to CNN, giving away SWAT locations.

Body count is at 1, and that is the first shooter. A UT worker said no one else was shot as far as he knew, and he was around the area (although he could be wrong..i figured he got the heck out of dodge instead of checking for bodies)

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Fox just did an interview with someone from the UT news paper that said there is rumor that the "shooters" are not students. My question is if there are 2 possible 1of which is dead, how do we know there aren't more? They have also deployed and armored vehicle on campus for two possible shooters? That seems a bit extreme to me. Just my .02.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Sorry, I missed your sarcasm, but I did give you the benefit of the doubt.

Crime reporting irritates the hell out of me, because I was once sitting reading the statistics for my town and it showed 3 sexual assaults for the previous year. That very week I knew of 2 assaults and 1 attempted assault. I have lots of friends in local law enforcement, plus a lot of times these incidents make the local news. You can watch and count up 2 or 3 occurences per week, but when you pull the stats they are almost non-existent.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join