It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Awesome Solar Light

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I ran across this today searching for survival gear. This company makes items for Third World adaptation but of course they work great for survival/outdoor/home emergency needs.

www.toughstuffonline.org...

Not only that, they promote a good cause. Every time you but something from them, they donate part of the price to funding solar entrepreneurship in Africa or elsewhere. Instead of burning dangerous fuels or burning up the forest, folks can start supplementing their needs with renewable solar. It sounds like a good idea if it works out.

I order one of the solar panel/LED light kits today and it was pretty inexpensive for a light that last 30 hours on 4-6 hours of solar charge. I will let you know how it works out.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
OK, so apparently not that interesting to most. However, I will follow up on my promise.

The system arrived and it rocks. The solar charger itself is really tough and looks like it is usable in the real world. The light itself is simple but built strongly. It weighs next to nothing.

There are four settings on the light from dimmest to brightest. While not a searchlight, it works just fine to see what is going on around you. If you have to go a long way in the boonies on a very dark night, this is perfect.

All in all, a great buy.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Hey, that looks like a very useful light. And they actually charge with solar!
I should get one of those soon....Thanks.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
What's even more interesting, is that they have battery replacements (for using solar charged batteries) and even cell adaptors for phones.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
This looks very usable. My husband brought home two of those "shake" lights. What a miserable excuse for a light. The only thing you could see with it... was the light!

I like that you can swap out the battery since those will wear out with use. Now, if you happen to find a solar charger that will charge a Ryobi 4tek light I will worship at your feet (jk lol, but not by much). The Ryobi 4tek light is very small, very convenient, the batteries last easily a month on one charge with very little dimming. They can let you see at least 100 yards easily and you can detect motion at up to 150 yards. I had my husband drive 1/2 mile up the road and shine his at me while I shined mine at him. I couldn't see him and he couldn't see me but the light was very visible and very bright! I want to try the next road over (about a mile away) and see how visible they are.

These things are tough too. My husband lost his one night last winter. He'd been plowing snow and used it to take the chains off the truck. I went out the next day and found it buried in the back driveway. He'd run it over with the dually and mashed it in the ground. It had no damage and worked just like new.

I use mine every day, probably accumulated time per day is one hour, and I recharge every three or four weeks. I bought four spare batteries

Link for the Ryobi 4tek items: Ryobi Tools: Tek4

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Thanks for all the feedback on this.

I have been using the light and it is great for what it is: a tough, no-nonsense, easy to carry or charge, use anywhere light. It is made in the USA and supports a great cause. Enough of the soap box.

Unfortunately I can not see it 3/4 of a mile away
but it was never meant to be that. For many application though, it is better. It will not harm you night vision on the lower setting but allow you to find your way on rough terrain or work with your hands. I used my G2 SureFire in Iraq a lot but it was too powerful sometimes. Of course batteries get heavy too.

If anyone uses their other products, let me know.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I just read the other tabs on the Toughstuff website. I'd be willing to buy two - get none and give both to families in developing countries. They are inexpensive (to us) and would make such a difference to them. I don't like that half the purchase price goes toward buying a set that the family has to pay for?? Who does that benefit?

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

From what I gather from the same place is the cost is greatly reduced to the family elsewhere. It also goes to promote local folks starting their own businesses in their own communities with more sustainable products.

While not perfect I agree, it is way more conscientious than multinationals stripping the place of anything of value and leaving the locals with nothing to sustain themselves on. Of course, that is fodder for a whole 'nother rant.

top topics

join