It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Says Nuclear Plant Unaffected by Virus as Industrial Computers Struck

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Iran Says Nuclear Plant Unaffected by Virus as Industrial Computers Struck

www.bloomberg.com

Iran said its Bushehr nuclear power plant is safe after confirming some of its industrial computers have been targeted by a computer worm and that it is working to counter the cyber-attack.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I wonder if cyber warfare can be considered an act of war. In this day and age, computer hackers are part of the military and intelligence. In the case of Iran, I suspect western powers obviously but I dont think that they really need a computer worm to find out if Iran is weaponizing its nuclear program.
It is only a matter of time until they get it, unless those cyber attacks are the prelude to a military action.

www.bloomberg.com

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

When performing a cyber attack at this scale...Or in prelude to military action, you had better be damned sure of success. Some news agencies are pointing the finger at Israel. Let's face it, the Israeli military/intelligence/civilian leadership are impulsive. But there are other players in this game.

If it had been a prelude to an attack we probably would have seen a mass shutdown of crucial infrastructure systems, and the physical attack itself would have taken place within minutes of a successful penetration and execution of Iranian systems.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
For all we know maybe the software attack was successful and that
The whole objective of the attack was to plant firmware or software that would give the attacker backdoor access to the facility at a later date when there was a real threat.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOracle

I wonder if cyber warfare can be considered an act of war. In this day and age, computer hackers are part of the military and intelligence. In the case of Iran, I suspect western powers obviously but I dont think that they really need a computer worm to find out if Iran is weaponizing its nuclear program.
It is only a matter of time until they get it, unless those cyber attacks are the prelude to a military action.

www.bloomberg.com

I am gonna make a guess here that you believe they want nukes, so they can nuke Israel lol..

As Ahmadinejad said himself, the age of nukes is over, it is the most disgusting weapon built, and it has no place in the 21st century. What did N-Korea gain from nukes?

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by TheOracle

When performing a cyber attack at this scale...Or in prelude to military action, you had better be damned sure of success.

I agree.

If launched, which it may have, they most certainly were "offline" for a few hours.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Seems to be disagreement on what constitutes damage as they certainly have a problem on their hands. Though I suppose since it didn't burn a hole in the Earth, I don't see how anyone can report unaffected by Virus.

the Web site of Iran's Atomic Energy Organization included a link to a lengthy Mehr story on Stuxnet.. That story noted that government officials said that "serious damage that caused damage and disablement" had been reported to officials.

ComputerWorld "Iran Confirms massive Stuxnet infection"

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Looks like the UK has been afflicted by the same virus/ worm; SKY news has just launched a story about the matter and claimed that many are blaming Israel. Israel will neither confirm nor deny. Hmm. And apparently many commentators are saying they fear a retaliation by Iran.

Doomsday scenario? Just in time for that whacky prediction of a full disclosure / aerial intervention by UFOs on October 13th....

top topics

join