It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CDC: 20% of Gay Men Are HIV-Positive, but Nearly Half Don't Know It

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

CDC: 20% of Gay Men Are HIV-Positive, but Nearly Half Don't Know It Read more: healthland.time.com...

healthland.time.com

Recent data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) show that 1 in 5 sexually active gay and bisexual men in America are HIV-positive but that 44% of them don't know it.

Read more: healthland.time.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 26-9-2010 by TheAmused because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
1 in 5 have hiv and are spreading it at a alarming rate.

either they don't care or don't know they have it basically.

Are these number's the CDC put out shock you in any way?]
probably not.

On a side not i have to ask the question.
If one in five have hiv..and are gonna be terminally ill soon.
why would we allow children to be adopted by them?
haven't the kids been threw enough?
Or should there be a law to test potential parents before adoption for hiv?

just a simple question.

healthland.time.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

OMG here we go, another homosexual bashing topic. And who is Them? Have some decency, It really does show what a homophobic individual you really are.

What is the precentage of hetrosexual couples who have HIV, either through numerous sexual partners or using dirty needles to inject, drugs? Answer that question for me. Wouldn't thier children be at risk, but No you have to target homosexuals once again.

edit on 26-9-2010 by Laurauk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Does that then mean that we should not allow HIV positive children from being adopted period? If we aren't going to allow adults (whose sexual orientation should have NOTHING to do with whether or not they are fit parents) who have contracted HIV to adopt, then why adopt the children?

I mean really. Where does the CDC get these stats? If 44% of them don't know it, how does the CDC know?

These sorts of articles are fear mongering IMO, and do nothing but cast a stigma on those who have HIV, and when you include a minority group in the title, you are simply making things worse.

~Keeper

edit on 9/26/2010 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

that would be 1 in 5 there.
the cdc report does not say 1 in 5 not in a couple lol

this isn't intended to bash homosexual's.
But if 1 in 5 strait people was spreading a disease at a alarming rate..
the number's would be astronomical.
and yes we would force mandatory hiv testing before adoption of the kids.
The kids have had a bad life already..why would the government allow the babies to go in a home to watch someone they love die yet again?

that's all i am saying..and its a fair question i think.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Are you really sure about that? You could have fooled me when you mentioned, homosexual couples adopting children, and also referring to Homosexuals as Them.

Why did you not mention, that detailed in the article, the infection rate in heterosexual black women are higher than thier white or hispanic counterparts.

HIV is a growing problem in other groups as well. The CDC study also found that the HIV infection rate in heterosexual black women is higher than in their white or Hispanic counterparts, and even higher than rates in Hispanic gay men. According to another CDC study, HIV infection was the leading cause of death for black women aged 25 to 34. Fully 81% of American women living with HIV are women of color.

That to me from your opening is to demonise homosexuality. Rather distastefull in my opinion.

edit on 26-9-2010 by Laurauk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Nor did you mention stated in the article once again:

CDC estimates that the majority of new sexually transmitted infections are transmitted by individuals who are unaware of their infection, and studies show that once people learn they are HIV-infected, most take steps to protect their partners. Therefore, because undiagnosed infection likely plays a major role in HIV transmission, reaching younger MSM with regular HIV testing is critical.

You targeted the rate for homosexual and bisexual men, the same question should be asked if Hetrosexual individuals are living lifestyle like this should they also be allowed to adopt children, it applies to all not just Homosexual or Bisexual couples. Which leads me to believe you have sinister motives in posting this in the first place.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   

See? WHat you did right here, with the fear-mongering and misrepresentation of an article (which I hppened to read jsu thte other day, BTW):

This article was SPECIFICALLY - A) Focused on "Gay and Bisexual Men" who were "sexually active". AND, B) Did NOT feature the complementary stastics for all of the STRAIGHT (please note the correct spelling) men AND women in the USA who also are HIV+, and ALSO "sexually active".

This bias should have given, even the casual reader, a bit of a clue in how to interpret the story.

Furthermore.....having written that, I draw the more informed readers (here on ATS) to the OP's wording, in the portion highlighted above:

"...spreading the disease at a (sic) alarming rate...."

Terribly incorrect, and misinforming....hence, my initial (and albeit emotional) reaction, with the "fear-mongering" comment.

I am personally appalled at this distortion attempt.

I do hope those with clear heads will understand my point.....only adding, that MOST adults, who (as far as I know) are aware of their HIV status, do NOT cavalierly engage in indiscriminate and "unsafe" sexual practices.

It is also likely, in BOTH cases of hetero- and homo-sexual individuals, that NOT "knowing" their individual status can be a result of many factors....not the least of which is "fear"....but, in many cases, there are also social-economic aspects to consider. AND, drug use/influences, etc.

This "broad-brush" approach, as indicated by the OP, is particularly vile in it's innuendo....IMO.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Can we have a section for this topic on ATS where people can maturely discuss this issue without people saying it's a gay bashing thread?????

Are we kids?????

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Because that is what it is.

Who is them? Why is the O/P not referring to hetrosexual couples also? You cannot have a bann on one section of Society without having a bann on all sections of society when it comes to HIV Couples, weither Homosexual, Bisexual or Hetro Sexual. That is complete discrimination and demonizing and you know it.

link   

Originally posted by TheAmused
reply to post by Laurauk

that would be 1 in 5 there.
the cdc report does not say 1 in 5 not in a couple lol

this isn't intended to bash homosexual's.
and yes we would force mandatory hiv testing before adoption of the kids.
The kids have had a bad life already..why would the government allow the babies to go in a home to watch someone they love die yet again?

that's all i am saying..and its a fair question i think.

I agree, couples who engage in risky behavior should be screened before being allowed to adopt; homo- and heterosexual alike. But why stop there? How about screening for other risky activities:

hang gliding, moto-cross racing, scuba diving, rock climbing, bull fighting, driving a car in rush hour, listening to country music, smoking cigarettes, eating lots of junk food...etc....

Wait, I just changed my mind...I disagree with you OP.

link   

Existing thread by ModernAcademia posted on 26-9-2010 @ 07:03 AM

1-1 in 5 gay,bisexual men in US cities has HIV

Same report - different headline.

edit on 26-9-2010 by UmbraSumus because: spelling error

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Yak !
Filthy homosexuals... And they still want to raise children ?

I'd say ? give them the job. Why ? IMO everything is better for a child then a life in the system.
They obviously got a lot of love to spare. Give them that chance.

Before anyone starts to flame me. I'll ask you this, All those children that would have been adopted. Are you gonna adopt them ?

HIV/Aids is not really a terminal illness anymore.. These days you can get very old with this disease

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I agree anyone post's anything on gay's you automatically get labeled a gay brasher here on ats.

Ok will a adoption agency give a child to person diagnosed with terminally ill cancer?
No they won't.
Cause it is unfair to the child to get attached to someone they know is gonna die.

So i asked a Logical question why Do you think it is ok to give a child to a person with a terminally ill disease ?
only reason any supporter has said is basically is cause there gay it's ok..cause it would be discriminatory to screen them for the disease based on there sexually orientation.
which to me make's no sense.
cause if the CDC says 1 in 5 homosexual's / bisexual's have it.
It's a fact not slander folk's.

and a valid question folk's on ats would rather dodge than answer in a respectable manner.

edit on 26-9-2010 by TheAmused because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

This is BAN, the main topic is the article not the first post of the Original Poster

I'm just saying, don't generalize an entire article based of the first person's comment

And this is not just about you as an individual, every thread on homosexuality starts this way
It's just a coincidence????

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus

Existing thread by ModernAcademia posted on 26-9-2010 @ 07:03 AM

1-1 in 5 gay,bisexual men in US cities has HIV

Same report - different headline.

edit on 26-9-2010 by UmbraSumus because: spelling error

last time i checked we are allowed 1 thread in alt news and in another thread.
2nd line

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I wonder what the numbers are for heterosexual people?
I have my doubts on the accuracy of this information though.
I have doubts that can canculate that half the people infected don't know. The only way I could see them obtaining this kind of information is interviewing those who know they are infected and asking question like have you told all your sexual partners, ect? Am I wrong here?
I've also heard that the rates of HIV in the United States is dropping while other countries are beggining to show a rise in the numbers of HIV infections. Can find a source for this at a later time.
As for the "another gay bashing thread", I would agree. It's just a one sided story. Meh..
That's my two cents for the time being.
I'm starting to become a little irritated on this forum.. seems like a lot of fear spreading, hate, threads cluttering up all the interesting information.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Because that is what it is.

Who is them? Why is the O/P not referring to hetrosexual couples also? You cannot have a bann on one section of Society without having a bann on all sections of society when it comes to HIV Couples, weither Homosexual, Bisexual or Hetro Sexual. That is complete discrimination and demonizing and you know it.

The Cdc says homosexual's and bisexual's 1 /5 have hiv or aid's.
The thread is not about heterosexual's.
make a thread on them and aids i will gladly join in it.
show fact's how many have hiv and aid's.

The bisexual's spread the hiv to non bi or homosexual partner's...
The bi person is the main spreader to all the unsuspecting partner's..cheating husband ect..
still all lead's back to the bi/gay community in a way .

at least how i see it.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaleob

So what your saying if we speak if we ..
Speak bad about obama
speak badly of islam
speak badly toward hiv in the world.
this forum is going to crap?

But it was ok when the CDC said get the swine flu shot you believed every word they said?
ironic how people pick and choose when to believe profession researcher's.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Look, the homosexual lifestyle is intended to extinguish itself from the gene pool.
How do you know that AIDS and HIV are not the natual result of choosing an unnatural activity, just like cirrhosis of the liver in alcoholics and bad knees in morbidly endogenous obesity?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join