It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how does Obamacare affect young adults?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Hey all,

I just recently have been trying to study up on the new health reform and have been overwhelmed with information from both the liberal and conservative sides, the pros and cons and it's so much information to put together and I'm really curious as to what your opinions are on how this health care reform will affect young adults such as me. I'm 21, uninsured, going to school and working part time -- in a minimum wage job. I've read how they're trying to make insurance mandatory but they can't legally do that because of our constitutional rights but is there any way people think they might try to penalize people who don't have health insurance? Are employers going to try to push it on us?

I've also read the cost of it is going to go up and even as it is right now, paying for the health care offered by my employer is about a fifth of what I make for the lowest possible coverage and impossible when paying rent and buying food is obviously more important.

I would just appreciate any input about how you think this is going to affect young adults. Most of the articles I've come across have been dividing people by economic class and I guess you can clump most young adults into the same class, I just feel that for the most part, less young adults are going to be married or have as good as jobs or going to be paying for school expenses, etc... things that most older people aren't going to have to be doing (sorry for the generalizations just trying to make my point).

I'd also appreciate any websites or articles you could direct me to for information from both sides.

Thank you so much!

edit on 9/26/2010 by moarboar8907 because: reworded a couple things after rereading it

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
this was one of the main articles I started reading that spiked my interest about the difference in cost between my age and older adults and got me wondering in what other ways this is going to affect my age group.

www.cato.org...

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Most young adults do not have health insurance, because most young adults DON'T need health insurance, they as a group are the heathest americans. Historically they are not financially supporting the Health industry in America. The largest health expense most young adults have is pregnancy. Young single males don't think that they sould PAY for anothers baby. So they don't participate.

Obamacare is going to change all of that by REQUIRING the young adults to financially support the Health Industry.

Long term Obamacare will drive up the cost of health care and as the years pass Obamacare will take a larger portion of the Young Adult financial assets. Over a lifetime the amount a young adult will pay can't even be estimated, maybe 50% or more of their earnings is not unrealistic.

This works for everything... Anything that the Government subsidizes you get more of.

join