It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars: Ascraeus Mons - Lava Tubes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Came across an interesting image of Mars today. Check it out:

They say these are Lava Tubes near Ascraeus Mons:

The peculiar depressions which can be observed here, and on several Martian volcanoes, are so-called 'lava tubes'. Lava tubes are caused by the crusting (or cooled lava) which occurs over a lava channel, a covering making the channel into a tunnel. When lava production ceases, the tunnel empties and the roof of the tunnel falls in, making an elongated depression.

Occasionally, the depression forms a chain of small pits over an emptied lava tunnel. Pit chains and lava tunnels are common on the Martian surface and are also seen on other terrestrial planets and the Moon.

These are some very interesting designs, esp. for miscellaneously developed Lava Tubes. Check out the design smack dab in the center of the image. It's almost like they're saying "Hey! Look at this here lava tube folks! snicker snicker"

What do you guys think?

P.S.: The image is scrollable. Make sure you scroll to the center of the image to see the unique design I'm referring to

edit on 24-9-2010 by Heyyo_yoyo because: edit to give instructions

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I believe I read that Mars is a "dead" planet...which i think means no hot core and no volcanic action...if so, how can there be lava tubes?

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Actually, Mars has several Volcanoes, One of which ( Olympus Mons ), is the largest Volcano in our Solar System.

Ascraeus Mons is just one of the Volcanoes on Mars being discussed here.

Whether these Volcanoes are active at this time I cannot tell you however, given the recent discovery of the thaw and flow of water durring seasonal change on Mars by far makes the planet well beyond being 'Dead'.

Given the topic at hand, if you'll observe the image of the so called Lava Flows in the image, down in the right hand corner you'll observe the 10 kilometer scale bar. Compare that scale to the scale of these 'Lava Tubes'.

Now, journey to the center of the image you'll see something that really doesn't seem to fit.

It looks too artificial, and I propose that it is a surface structure, that grants access to the lower sub terrainian tunnels!

Proposals? Accepting debate on this at this time....

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
also, another anomaly I just noticed.

on the lower part of the image, if you zoom the pic to a magnitude x400, the object looks to be either a high shooting geyser, or an antena, as it is casting one helluva high shadow!!!

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Isn't anyone interested lol?

I'M REVEALING THE MARTIANS DAG NABBIT!

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Heyyo_yoyo

Hey buddy!!! Nice find....I just don't get how you can zoom in at 400x and be able to see anything properly still!

Anyways S&F for ya and thanks for sharing!

regards,

ringht_n_wrong

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ringht_n_wrong

Hey buddy!!! Nice find....I just don't get how you can zoom in at 400x and be able to see anything properly still!

Anyways S&F for ya and thanks for sharing!

regards,

ringht_n_wrong

Thanks.

If you are using IE ver. 8, in the lower left hand corner there will be a small drop down box with a plus magnifyer symbol and the words 100% showing.

If you open the drop down bar choices you'll see a magnification option of upto 400%, which is where I got the magnification option from.

Check it out, I'm telling ya the bottom page anomaly appears to be a strong geyser stream with it's watery jet shadowed upon the landscape!

Not to mention the artificial surface anomaly overlapping what they are calling Lava Tubes...

edit on 25-9-2010 by Heyyo_yoyo because: spelling

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by wiseone11
I believe I read that Mars is a "dead" planet...which i think means no hot core and no volcanic action...if so, how can there be lava tubes?

Ancient lava tubes -- formed at a time when Mars had volcanic activity.

Like Heyyo_yoyo said above, Mars' Olympus Mons is the largest known volcano in the solar system -- so we know Mars was once geologically active.

Our Moon, by the way, also has lava tubes -- and it's been geologically dead probably for a few billion years.

edit on 9/25/2010 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Here you can see a much bigger (26 MB, 5.302 x 9.700) image, no need to zoom in with Internet Explorer.

And yes, those look like lava tubes.

edit on 26/9/2010 by ArMaP because: I changed the link.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Hey - thanks for the link! These images are way more detailed.

Man, There's just something about this image that reaches out to you and screams INTELLIGENT DESIGN!

vs. random formation of what is being told to us are Lava Tubes.

The 29 MB. High Resolution Image is vastly more detailed than the images I looked at originally, and while the structure I originally reported on appears to be naturally formed, and not as linear nor as interconnected as I first reported it to be, it still forms a near linear cross with two intersecting linear formations creating a perfect 90º angle intersection, which is obviously atop a previously existing "Lava Tube" of diametrically IMMENSE proportions...

This area of Mars is truely beautiful! I can only imagine what kinds of paintings and photos this place would produce...Really, everyone is so intrigued with Cydonia...

IMO this place would give them a better bang for thier buck.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heyyo_yoyo
Hey - thanks for the link! These images are way more detailed.

Man, There's just something about this image that reaches out to you and screams INTELLIGENT DESIGN!

vs. random formation of what is being told to us are Lava Tubes.

Why do you think that, please explain how its intelligent and not natural in your poor quality images you may have got a way with thinking that but with the 29mb image WHY!?

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
It's the close up ones that amaze me. Just wonder if nasa leaks the close up ones on purpose!
The ones with the ribs wrapping around them and over the one below it. It is in another thread!

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by thetiler

They are not "leaked", they are published like all other images.

top topics

join