It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4 soldiers killed, 3 hurt in Yemen offensive against al Qaeda- The REAL reason we sold arms to the S

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
A government official said Tuesday the offensive in Shabwa province was in response to a militant attack last week on a pipeline carrying liquefied natural gas. The official described the multibillion-dollar pipeline as the "lifeline of the region."

The official asked for anonymity because he is not authorized to speak to the media.

A senior U.S. defense official said the U.S. military has been providing intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance help during the offensive but stressed that Yemeni forces were primarily responsible for its planning and execution.

Since its inception in January 2009, al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula has claimed responsibility for numerous terrorist attacks against Saudi, Korean, Yemeni and U.S. targets

www.cnn.com...

Yemen is a cesspool. We have absolutely no business putting our troops there (I know we haven't as of yet, but watch), and now I can see where this is headed... and it makes me ill. Now I can see why just sold all those arms to Saudi Arabia.

This was just a little tidbit barely reported on CNN. Yes, they are just saying that it was the Yemeni that pulled this off, but look at the way it is being touted. And we are providing the intelligence. And we are throwing our support behind the Yemens.

I can see how this is going to go now.... False Flags have abounded, and perhaps this is one of the real objectives. A huge oil and gas bonanza. With "terror" as the big reason, as usual. al Qaeda has surely served its purposes for the USA interests, hasn't it?

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by thegoodearth

But everyone is called Al-Qaeda who fights against US puppets, and US domination, this is just getting to the point where it just sounds ridiculous now.

For god sakes, there was an uprise in Yemen, did people forget that>? Against Western puppets. Darn embarrassing.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   

a bit alarmist if you ask me.

if you people know anything anything at all about obama he will never send troops there thats a fact.

the drones yeah but thats as far as he will ever go.

waging a war with drones and cruise missiles are the only thing the left know how to do and ultimately they are clearly ineffective.

obama will never send 500 1000 or tens of thousands into another country not as long as there are still troops in afghanistan and iraq.

escalation in yemen will never happen thats a fact.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...
The disenfranchised alquada of one form or another in the middle east an dnorthern africa have left Yemen with few options other than outside help. Notice how their leaders see the invasion as being by Alqaida and nothe US.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
We already have military personnel in Yemen. And we have for quite a time.

www.washingtontimes.com...

Yep, these are training personnel and military advisers. But one never knows how this sort of thing could suddenly expand and explode into more direct American military intervention.

Sure, the POTUS doesn't want a bigger American footprint in that small country, but if it comes to drones attacking targets, that could be just as bad of a trigger to fuel more hatred against US interference. Our use of drones as killing machines in Afghanistan and Pakistan hasn't exactly been "friend making" operations, what with high rates of deaths of non-military and non-terrorist people.

Just my .02 United Future World Currency.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by heyo
www.abovetopsecret.com...
The disenfranchised alquada of one form or another in the middle east an dnorthern africa have left Yemen with few options other than outside help. Notice how their leaders see the invasion as being by Alqaida and nothe US.

Are you sure it has nothing to do with Shia uprising against the corrupt puppet regime of Yemen?

It feels like Iran is flexing its muscles, and the US is scared

The population of that area doesn't like the Western puppet regimes, that is why there is this huge conflict, because the Western control freaks won't allow people to choose their own government.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
@neo96
Alarmist? Perhaps. However, I really think that this bears watching.
It is simply too strange to brush under the carpet. I find it incredible that we have just entered into the largest arms deal in US history with Saudi Arabia, of all countries. At $60 billion, the sale--which would include 84 F-15 fighter planes, 70 Apache attack helicopters, 72 Blackhawk troop-transport helicopters, and 36 Little Bird surveillance copters--would dwarf any previous US arms deal ever. It's particularly striking in a year when US weapons sales worldwide are down 9 percent.
www.theatlantic.com...
The presence of al-Qaida is not Yemen's only military problem, though it may be the most pressing as 2010 ends. The attempted bombing of an American airliner on Christmas Day, 2009 has been linked to al-Qaida forces in Yemen (part of the larger al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula organization, also known as AQAP). The suspected airline bomber spent time in Yemen and evidence points toward the likelihood that he received training in Yemen from al-Qaida. Also, a Yemeni radical Yemeni cleric was connected to the U.S. Army officer who killed several soldiers at Fort Hood earlier this year. WTF?

It must also be noted that Iran, the leading Shiite Muslim nation, is believed to be an active supporter of the Shiite al-Houthi rebels. Saudi Arabia, which is ruled by a Sunni ruling family, has long supported the Yemeni government against the Shiite rebels in Sa'dah.

Iran and Saudi Arabia are long-time rivals, and many analysts see their ongoing support of the two sides in the Yemeni war as a proxy battle between the two great Muslim powers.

It looks as though we are trying to go in through the back door of the henhouse while distracting the fox out front.

Do most of the American public understand all these connections? No. Do most of the American public pay attention to things that are not splashed all over the news? No.

The arms deal is barely getting any press, and neither is the Yemen thing. These are connected, in my opinion. Maybe I am wrong, and I gladly admit when I am. I have no problem with being wrong. This is just a hunch of mine, but usually when things are going south or an action is being masterminded such as this, it isn't front page news.

www.historyguy.com...

edit on 23-9-2010 by thegoodearth because: spelling

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   

im not exactly happy with the saudi arms deal myself it is bascially throwing money out the window. it reminds me of the iranian arms deal of the 70s and we saw how well that turned out.

saudi has no chance agianst iran saudi and kuwait were the first ones to run to the us during gulf war one. and let us not forget how fast kuwait fell to saddam... and iran right now is better equipped and better trained than saudi.

the only people who consider al queda a threat is right wingers and since they are not in power nothing man nothing at all is going to happen.

nothing will ever be done to iran either the only people who will even think about touching iran is isreal and im sure they will not so nothing at all either and since we are still in afghanistan and iraq .

obama will not touch anything else he doesnt believe in protections of this country his new foreign policy has said that in the event this country is attacked there will be no retaliation.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

While I admire your attitude, I can't agree with all you say.
I wish I was that pessimistic (?) about our lack of concern and care.
I am not a "right winger". I am more of an analyst of what I see and more importantly what I am not seeing being reported on that really should be...
I believe it is like a chess match, and we are placing all our pieces in place strategically here. We may not be the ones initially to do all the work, but we are giving all of them the tools, the intelligence, etc... to do our will.

And, really, as apathetic as Obama may be, rest assured, if we were attacked on US soil, we would retaliate, in some way, my friend. The citizens would demand it, if nothing else. Could you imagine the people if we were attacked and he did nothing? I can't.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   

lol man your mistaken oh i care i care in a big way but im just being a realist not a pessimist

and yes it should be a chess match but only one side is playing at the moment

i am a right winger btw and i want something done about iran and i want afhganistan to be over but with a victory

i dont want any unfinished business any where in the world because it always always comes back to haunt us like 9-11 did.

i respect different views and i not as hardcore as i may seem if someone agrees with me thats great and when they dont thats fine to.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Sorry if I gave the impression that I thought you didn't care, that isn't what I meant.
We can respectfully agree to disagree on this issue, and hope for the best, at any rate~
I really hope that we do not have any more attacks of any sort on our soil. I am afraid of
that, simply because I realize how much that would be valued by the government in
restoring the "trust", patriotism, national pride, and economy. It is very worrisome.

I appreciate your input on the topic regardless.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   

likewise i dont want anymore american loss of life either and its comming and its comming for no other reason that a certain group of people will not admit that this country is in danger as long as this country exists there will always be those who seek its destruction. thats not war mongering and you have every right to be concern only patriots seek to keep and protect and defend their way of life.

you have my respect sir and good day to you.

edit on 23-9-2010 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
www.reuters.com...

The United States plans to provide Yemen with helicopters, transport equipment and training to expand its air and ground offensive against al Qaeda, a Pentagon document showed on Thursday.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates last week authorized $150 million in security assistance for Yemen in fiscal 2010, but Pentagon officials offered few details about the highly sensitive program.

The new funding will be used to repair and service 10 Mi-17 helicopters, provide four Huey IIs and train Yemeni crews to operate and maintain them, according to a Pentagon document prepared for Congress.

The funding will enable the Yemeni Air Force to transport small units to participate in day or night operations in high altitudes, according to the document, a copy of which was obtained by Reuters.

The $150 million package, up from $67 million last year, underscores U.S. concerns about the growing threat of Yemen-based al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.
The sum does not include covert U.S. assistance for Yemen, which has quietly increased in recent months.

The Yemen government is extremely corrupt. Why we would ever dip our hands into that pot and try to help them out is beyond description, unless of course we are trying to further our own greedy agendas. The Yemen people have suffered under severe oppression for so very long, where they are sometimes imprisoned for months for speaking out against their conditions and harsh rule... just this year at the Riyadh Conference it was pointed out that the Saudi government has already given them the $1 billion that they had pledged in 2006, when they were this year asking for more $... where did this money vanish to? Giving the money to the country to help it implode rather than to help it out... and the iron fist running the country will tolerate no questions.

This is exactly the same sinister power plays that the US will use to go in.
"We need to help deliver them from the corruption of al Qaeda"
(i.e. we need to go in and get the oil and gas, further line ourselves with the Saudi's, who we have armed and strengthened (incredibly with Israel's blessings) and then be in further polarity with Iran...)

I am alarmed by this quiet strengthening of our support and presence in Yemen.

top topics

join