It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A "real medium" confronts a dead Christian fundamentalist - James Van Praagh vs. Aunt Virginia.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Hi everybody. I'm usually quite sceptical of people like John Edwards, but I'm enjoying the James Van Praagh book Ghosts Among Us: Uncovering the truth about the other side (Random House, 2008). I'm on the fence about whether any of it is true, but I like the writing style.
Still towards the start Van Praagh explains his difficult talent (that now earns him millions, I suppose), and the basics on spirits, ghosts, and the various levels of existence. At this point he's explaining ghosts and why people become ghosts. A less troublesome scenario is people simply being obsessed with earthly pursuits, rather than the horror of becoming stuck by drug overdose or suicide deaths (which all reflects conventional morality, and can seemingly only be resolved by "spiritual maestros" like the author).
Now, most of us know that Christians take a dim view of contacting the dead (although it never stopped the Biblical King who first banned all these things from visiting the Witch of Endor - TYPICAL).
So here's what Van Praagh encountered in a session with the former Cosby Show kid actor, Malcolm Jamal Warner:

In the middle of the reading, a very big woman who had died in a car accident showed up. She wore a yellow dress and a wide-brimmed white hat. She looked as if she were going to a Sunday church service.
She stood in front of me and and said, "My name's Virginia, and I think you are doing the devil's work speaking with spirits."
I asked her, "If I am evil, why did you show up?"
"Because I love him."
"That is why I do this work ... out of love."
She was insistent. "No, the devil is putting words in your mouth."
"Are you the devil?" I asked.
She was flabbergasted. "Of course not."
(She) continued to relay Bible verses at me. As I transmitted the message to Malcolm, he smiled. "That's my auntie Virginia!"
This reading demonstrated how tenaciously we hold on to our die-hard beliefs. How do we change such beliefs? We have to be open to change. (p. 70)

Poor Van Praagh, not only does he get the critique this side, but also form the other!
But now I'm wondering: with the life review and meeting a version of God shortly after death (as he describes earlier, in line with most such mediums/clairvoyents) how can Aunt Virginia still be so earthly? If she's stuck here, why doesn't he try and help her cross over? Is she actually a stuck ghost, or somebody from the other side.
If she is not stuck, but from the other side, it means there are fundamentalists in heaven. No!!!! Then I'm not going.
Is she simply an invented jovial figure to poke fun at religion?
Are there more aunties like that floating about?
All views are welcome.

edit on 22-9-2010 by halfoldman because: spelling

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Strange, Ian Wilson mentions in a book I previously touched on: "The After Death Experience" that the dead may have rules to what they say and communicate to us.
Nevertheless, what Van Praagh is intimating is that Auntie Virginia is almost stuck in a world of her own beliefs.
However, they are not negative beliefs in themselves.
But she does seem imprisoned somehow.
Stuck in that plane how can she become more open?
To me Van Praagh should have done his white light tunnel thing and released her.

But who knows, maybe she'll meet fundamentalists from other faiths who are similarly stuck, and they can all quote verses at each other until they come around.
Or maybe she's just watching after Malcolm?

edit on 22-9-2010 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
In the Spirit Realm, only the following types of spirits exist:

A Holy Ghost was once a human who has passed over, accepted Truth and to abide by Yahweh's sovereign laws and is of positive energy. They are also referred to as Holy Ghost Observers and fight on Yahweh & Christ's side of the Spiritual War in bringing vindication to Father's name.

The Convert, was also once human but rejected truth and the abiding of Yahweh's sovereign laws and have in fact converted to Satan's way of thinking. They are of neutral energy but by default the Convert is considered to be on Satan's side of the Spiritual War.

Then you have the Holy Angel, and the Fallen Angel also referred to as a Demon. The Holy Angel is of positive energy and on Yahweh's side of the Spiritual War and the Fallen Angel / Demon is of negative energy and on Satan's side of the Spiritual War.

Unfortunately, many psychics are unwittingly doing Satan's work because they themselves are fooled. The demons and converts pretend to be Holy Ghost guides when they are not. Hence, the deception. It's possible that "Auntie Virginia" was a Holy Ghost and was attempting to intervene on Malcolm's behalf so that he would not be swayed by what Praagh was relaying to him because what he was relaying was actually coming from demons and/or converts.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ReginaAdonnaAaron

Thank you for that interesting post and view.
As far as I know the general evangelical consensus is that all channelled spirits are demons pretending to be loved ones, whose real souls are either in heaven, hell or some kind of hibernation until Judgement Day (not sure).
So it's refreshing to hear that sometimes a true "holy ghost" spirit can come through.
You also say some psychics unwittingly channel the demonic side, which means you don't condem them all.
Are there any specifically "Holy Ghost' psychics you know of and could point to?

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
reply to post by ReginaAdonnaAaron

Thank you for that interesting post and view.
As far as I know the general evangelical consensus is that all channelled spirits are demons pretending to be loved ones, whose real souls are either in heaven, hell or some kind of hibernation until Judgement Day (not sure).
So it's refreshing to hear that sometimes a true "holy ghost" spirit can come through.
You also say some psychics unwittingly channel the demonic side, which means you don't condem them all.
Are there any specifically "Holy Ghost' psychics you know of and could point to?

Unfortunately, the evangelical consensus is wrong because they do not have the whole Truth. Those who are of religious persuasions that believe all spirits are demons are also wrong. They have all misinterpreted what the Scriptures say about interacting with the Spirit Realm.

It says: 1 John 4:1 [ The Spirit of Truth and the Spirit of Error ] Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to determine if they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. (HCSB)

"Test the spirits", not "do not interact with them". This Scripture reveals that there are spirits on both sides of the Spiritual War. Whether Holy Ghost or Holy Angel, Convert or Demon they are all Spirits.

But no, I do not condemn anyone. That is not my job or anyone's job other than Yahweh's who is the One who judges us based on the condition of our hearts. Anyone can be snared by Satan - but at the same time there are psychics who know exactly who they are communicating with and who assist Satan as human agents in his agenda in the Spiritual War. Even so... no, I do not condemn. I only share the truth so that others can gain knowledge and understanding, be aware and be warned.

And just as there are psychics who assist Satan there are those who serve Yahweh.

Another misconception is that Spirits are either "dead" (or as you said "hibernation") until Armageddon, or exist only in some far off place called Heaven. The Spirit Realm, or what people refer to as Heaven is all around us. Demons and Converts are forced to exist here on earth in the Detention Plane and kept out of the upper planes of Heaven by the Azmon Barrier which is comprised of Azmon Order Angels and keeps them from escaping the Detention Plane. But Holy Ghosts and Holy Angels are permitted to go back and forth, as they work in union as members of the Holy Family in serving Yahweh and Christ in the Spiritual War.

Anyone seeking a psychic should always test them as well, to determine whom they serve - knowingly, or unwittingly.

1 John 4:2-3 This is how you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit who confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God. 3 But every spirit who does not confess Jesus is not from God. HCSB

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
The problem with mediums is they believe the spirit is
who they say they are, mediums cannot and never have
had the ability to speak to any dead. You do know what
the meaning of dead is dont you?
Spirits are comunicating with the medium but they lie,
for they are satans minions and while they do tell truths
and some good can come of it, its main purpose is that
of deceit.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by lestweforget

I know the meaning of dead from the dictionary, as we all do culturally.
However in the context of spiritualism it could mean a number of things.
What meaning do you refer to?

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   

I don't know, a part of me still thinks the whole plethora of spiritualists is nothing but a scam to rip desperate people off.
Edwards doesn't do it for me, but Van Praagh is intriguing.
But still, he could have known about an actor's dead relative before, and invented a persona around it.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman

Nevertheless, what Van Praagh is intimating is that Auntie Virginia is almost stuck in a world of her own beliefs.

Some of the other posters here prove that we do this in life. Why should death be any different.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
There is no Heaven for those who have not been Judged. Why do we think our loved ones are anywhere but here with us? Some are resting comfortably, but others are wandering about just within a hair's width of us all. The ability to see this side is not easy and often wrought with difficulties, especially considering the Truth and the noxious part of allowing Money to flow through it. I certainly can see why the question was asked about the Devil.

Equally, there is no Hell for those who have not been Judged. Just as there are Demons who reside here with us now, all will find that moment when our Existence will be coupled with our Souls Expression through Life.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by lestweforget
The problem with mediums is they believe the spirit is
who they say they are, mediums cannot and never have
had the ability to speak to any dead. You do know what
the meaning of dead is dont you?
Spirits are comunicating with the medium but they lie,
for they are satans minions and while they do tell truths
and some good can come of it, its main purpose is that
of deceit.

First of all the problem with mediums is that the majority of mainstream mediums- ones who do it for money and fame- are lying. Mediums like myself, who have the gift, do it for free to help others. I, am an extremely knowledged person on everything the afterlife and I do not believe that every spirit I talk too is who I intend to talk too. That is ludicris. There is no way to gaurantee a reading, unless personalized information between the deceased and living spirit is shared- because that cannot be perceived by a "stranger" spirit. I always tell my clients that there is a possiblity that contact wont be made and in that case not to be dissappointed because there are many reaons why their loved ones cant communicate, the larger of the possiblities is that they have reincarntated, and the others is that they are stuck in the earthbound realm and cannot be called up by a medium such as myself. The only spirits that can be called on by a medium such as myself is spirits who have crossed over into the afterlife, period. I can also communicate with earthbound spirits frequently and with ease. I also see ghosts everywhere like the ghost whisperer. People like me are the exception, not the rule.

edit on 23-9-2010 by xynephadyn because: spelling

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
(mediums/clairvoyant`s) Is this what witches are calling themselves this days?

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by xynephadyn

Thanks - great hearing from a medium, or somebody with such experiences.
I've always wondered about the scene in the movie "The Sixth Sence". Is it really like that, do they really see dead people walking around, like normal people? I've seen a ghost or two, but nothing like that.
Van Praagh is unclear on this, although he opens his book pointing to the movie.

I had a stage where I tried these TV-spiritualist cold readings, something I quickly abandoned.
In one case we spoke to a waitress we'd just met, who agreed to humor me.
In my mind's eye I saw an image of a man who was green in the face, like being poisoned.
I sheepishly told her what I felt I saw.
To my surprise she immediately told me she came from a wine farm, and one of the workers was found dead after trying to steal and drink poisonous alcohol.

But do some people really see dead people walking about?

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I wanted to share this beautiful observation from Van Praagh's Ghosts among Us:

I often think about the world's religions and ethnicities. It seems to me that God, or the Universe, has wondrously created each of us as a facet to a diamond: each facet is different, and together the facets form a diamond that is brilliant and beautiful. Every belief system is beautiful in its knowledge. No one is better than anyone else. This is merely the illusion of the physical world. Only when we can celebrate our diversity and love one another unconditionally will there be true peace on this planet. Because we have not learned love yet, we kill our our species. This puts Earth very low on the evolutionary scale. Each of us can only do the best we can in our lives to demonstrate love whenever possible. If enough of us send out love, the energy will permeate the ignorance and darkness of those beings lost in their limited mind-sets.
(Pp. 210-211.)

edit on 24-9-2010 by halfoldman because: spelling

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Re-reading my above Van Praagh quote I think he's saying something very nice in a great way, but isn't it also an implied bitch-slap to anyone who criticizes or disagrees with him?
I find this flowery defensiveness in a lot of religious and pseudo-religious books.
There's "unevolved" people who question us, but we're so gracious we'll send them love or pray for them.
Oh phooey, it's so cool, let's not be negative.

edit on 24-9-2010 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

top topics

join