It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Martian moon Phobos created by huge blast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Martian moon Phobos created by huge blast

www.tgdaily.com

Mars' largest moon, Phobos, may have been blasted off into space by some catastrophe on the planet's surface, say two different scientific studies.

Compositional analyses of thermal infrared spectra from ESA’s Mars Express and NASA’s Mars Global Surveyor missions, may solve the long-standing mystery of the origin of the Martian satellites Phobos and Deimos.

Some have suggested that both moons could be asteroids formed in the outer part of the main asteroid belt and subsequently captured
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
So phobos was once part of Mars but was ripped from the planet by some large impact? And that it created two new moons phobos and deimos?

So much for the hollow phobos theory. Not that I believed it much. Or believe this theory all that much for that matter. But it is interesting that there's some proof to back up this theory.

Very cool.

www.tgdaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I bet good ol' Richard C. will be on Coast to Coast soon to argue this one. I would have (and still hope) that Phobos is hollow / spaceship. I really think that the idea and concept has a lot of merit, and is probably more of a common occurrence (ancient space exploration relics from days gone by). If not Phobos, I do think we will find some sort of artifact within our solar system.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Maybe the aliens had a space war and it was a target?Who knows it could happen

In all seriousness it looks like it was hit with a nuclear weapon of some sort.Maybe a spaceship ran into it on a mission?There are way to many things that could happen to cause that kind of damage.I dont think it will ever be known how it really happened.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

And I think what the scientists think is once again, nothing more than a bunch of well-spoken people, sitting around and.......

guessing! But what perturbs me most is we'll have tons of people now, referring back to this thesis (and that's all it is, a belief) and reciting it as if it were gospel.

Fact is, we don't know 3/4 of the facts/mysteries here on Earth so what gives a bunch of scientists the platform to postulate on behalf of an orbiting rock in space? Who cares what they think?

Boy oh boy, give a person a diploma and a venue to be heard and they think they're better qualified at guessing than me!

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

A couple of probes tell them this??

Hell, we aint sure where our own moon came from yet and we have been there many times...

I guess they need to write fanciful papers to keep their jobs...

As another poster pointed out, are they more qualified at guessing than me??

top topics

join