It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China premier threatens Japan over boat dispute

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
www.washingtonpost.com.../wires

BEIJING -- Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao threatened action against Japan if it does not immediately release a detained ship captain, in his first comments in a growing fight over disputed islands. Wen's remarks Tuesday night in New York were the first by a top Chinese leader on the issue that has led Beijing to suspend ministerial-level contacts with Tokyo. China also has said Wen will not meet with Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan during U.N. meetings in New York this week. Wen laid the blame for the dispute entirely at Japan's door.

This is a very interesting read. I wonder how Japan will respond to China's claim.
What are your thoughts on this issue?

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Well, this whole disturbance waxes a little odd to me. I am trying to decide if this is some sort of diversion, or if its a legitimate political issue between the two Asian powers. If it is legit, I just can't imagine it turning into anything more than posturing. It seems that China has these territory issues with just about everyone, however they do seem to be pressing their "show of strength" alot lately. I guess my suspicion is that China is making waves in the global arena in order to solidify their image as a Super Power.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

heres the why now part of it...

Several countries have made competing territorial claims over the South China Sea. Such disputes have been regarded as Asia's most potentially dangerous point of conflict. Both People's Republic of China (PRC) and the Republic of China (ROC) claim almost the entire body as their own, which claims overlap with virtually every other country in the region. Competing claims include:

Indonesia, China, and Taiwan over waters NE of the Natuna Islands
The Philippines, China, and Taiwan over the Malampaya and Camago gas fields.
The Philippines, China, and Taiwan over Scarborough Shoal.
Vietnam, China, and Taiwan over waters west of the Spratly Islands. Some or all of the islands themselves are also disputed between Vietnam, China, Taiwan, Brunei, Malaysia, and the Philippines.
The Paracel Islands are disputed between the PRC/ROC and Vietnam.
Malaysia, Cambodia, Thailand and Vietnam over areas in the Gulf of Thailand.
Singapore and Malaysia along the Strait of Johore and the Strait of Singapore.
yes even way up into the sea of Japan....

The Association of Southeast Asian Nations, commonly abbreviated ASEAN is holding a meeting in two days time to better define Territorial waters as in who gets what???? Side bar... Obama will be speaking at the ASEAN conference...

SO to break it down China is in this big huff claiming most of the south china sea as its own but other countries too have valid claims in what is some of the most productive fishing ground on the planet

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Heres the true story

Japan is occupying the diaoyu islands/senkaku islands illegally

Japan is allowed NO EXTRA TERRITORY other than the 5 main islands, any extra territory held by Japan must by agreed upon by the 4 winners of WW2 China, UK, USSR and the USA.

USSR and China never agreed to give the diaoyu/senkaku to Japan while the USA and UK supported it.

Japan is the agressor here, staking a land claim in violation of the Potsdam declaration and laughing at China because they ahve the USA as an attack dog

en.wikipedia.org...

"Japanese sovereignty shall be limited to the islands of Honshū, Hokkaidō, Kyūshū, Shikoku and such minor islands as we determine." As had been announced in the Cairo Declaration in 1943, Japan was to be reduced to her pre-1894 territory and stripped of her pre-war empire including Korea and Taiwan, as well as all her recent conquests.

Senkakus originally belonged to China as a province of Taiwan, China is fighting to get these islands returned to Taiwan.

en.wikipedia.org...

7 October 1996: Protesters plant the flags of the ROC and the PRC on the main island, but are later removed by the Japanese.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Returners

Well thank you for the treaty insight, I guess I might of done some digging. I appreciate the information.

top topics

join