It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US lawmakers seek power to 'shut down' Web sites in other countries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   

US lawmakers seek power to 'shut down' Web sites in other countries

www.rawstory.com

A bill introduced in the US Senate on Monday would give US law enforcement authorities more tools to crack down on websites engaged in piracy of movies, television shows and music.

The Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act has received support from both parties

The bill will give the Justice Department the "tools to track and shut down websites devoted to providing access to unauthorized downloads,

condemned Canada, China, Mexico, Russia and Spain for failing to crack down on Web piracy and said theft of intellectual property in those countries was at "alarming levels.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Here's the Bill

Lawmakers introduced legislation Monday that would let the Justice Department seek U.S. court orders against piracy websites anywhere in the world, and shut them down through the sites’ domain registration.

The bipartisan legislation, dubbed the Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act, (.pdf) amounts to the Holy Grail of intellectual-property enforcement.

www.wired.com...

The Bill:
www.wired.com...

Keep in mind that Obama took 5 RIAA lawyers and put them in DOJ positions, that's taking quite a strong stance there!

Man these politicians really know what number one priority is eh?
It's not the economy, it's not illegal immigration, it's not ending the wars it's just being a lobby puppet and ensuring that rich people stay rich and get richer.

While I was reading the article I thought I was reading about China for a second there.

The United State does NOT own the internet!

Keep in mind though that the OP title isn't very accurate

See here for clarification:

The bill would direct injunctions at a piracy site’s domain registrar, if the registration was through a U.S. company. If not, the Justice Department could serve the court order at the registry for the site’s top-level domain. Registry’s for the dot-com, dot-net and dot-org domains are all U.S.-based, and thus within the courts’ jurisdiction. For domains not under U.S. control, the bill would demand that internet service providers in the United States block resolution of the address upon a court order, but overseas users would not be impacted.

Read More www.wired.com...

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   

I guess they really wanna get ahold of pirate bay.

The government just doesn't like being told they can't do something (VERY interesting) and they have been told they can't touch foreign site owners. Holy cow.

SOMEONE THE GOVERNMENT CAN'T TOUCH?!

We gotta fix this! NOW!

No one escapes big brother!

At the expense of millions and millions of tax dollars to get all these idiots together to fight a bunch of normal human beings with albeit trashy ads on their website, why don't we just call it even and say the tax-payers faid for all that piracy and just let them go? Come on.

I am willing to bet that every single one of those legislators has family that goes to pirate bay for their favorite music/videos.

It's all a maddening play!

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Well , its a case of two wrongs not making a right. The movie/music copiers and sharers perhaps should not do what they do, but the US government ought to have LESS international say, not more!
Its not as if the US of A has some monopoly on moral behaviour after all. In fact in most circles , the opinion is the exact opposite.
If there is to be internationaly effective law enforced on the internet, then every net using nation ought to have a vote on what laws are passed, not just big bad Uncle Sam.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
It's not the point of curbing piracy or illegal downloads. It's all about arrogance. An arrogance that's found from the top down. Not only does the government of the United States want to impose such radical rulings on the American people, they want to impose it on the whole world.

To all the entertainers that get their panties in a wad because someone illegally downloaded your material; maybe it would be better if you and your "talent" was ignored and then there wouldn't be any such thing as piracy. Entertainers should start boasting about whose material gets pirated more.

I'm an American but I will not be forced to do what the government deems what's good for me.

EDIT: This thread deserves a flag and star!

edit on 21/9/10 by Intelearthling because: Added to post.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I'd be willing to bet that Mr. Obama used Napster back in the day. I bet he used Kazaa and Morpheus when they where still decent. I bet he uses Limewire or Frostwire today.

I'd be willing to bet a good amount on that.

edit on 21-9-2010 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
boo hoo stephen speilberg might have to sell his seventeenth vacation mansion
i'm never going to buy another cd, dvd, or computer program in my life
YAR

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Who died and made them king of the world?

Trying to put a complete stop to piracy is like trying to keep criminals from owning guns. The only people affected are the law abiding citizens. Criminals don't care what the law says.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling

Not only does the government of the United States want to impose such radical rulings on the American people, they want to impose it on the whole world.

Yep. And they're acting on behalf of global corporations. US legislation tends to become international trade law.

International trade law already overrides federal law when there's a "conflict." Soon, it will override the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. And we'll be governed by global corporations according to international trade law.

...Talk about Big Government.

S&F btw.

Oh yeah, sorry but related... RIAA Goes Offline, Joins MPAA As Latest Victim Of Successful DDoS Attacks

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
This is bull. They don't care about piracy. I wouldn't be surprised if this is all about military strategy.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

"US lawmakers seek power to 'shut down' Web sites in other countries"

Correction. The government already has the power to 'shut down' web sites in other countries.

They are just now overtly letting the general public know they feel they have the authority to do so.

eventually what happens behing close doors comes to the light of day, even if the true intent of why is hidden in the super jargon that is meant to disorientate the genereal public from the true motivation for the necessity of such needs.

These are some of the thoughts I entertain on this subject,
et

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by xiphias
This is bull. They don't care about piracy. I wouldn't be surprised if this is all about military strategy.

Good try. But no cigar.

It's trade strategy, obviously.

And a necessary tweak to finalize Global Corporate Government under international trade law.

fyi - That's REALLY BIG Government.

new topics

top topics

join