It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Community Chickens project

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I keep chickens, but I keep them in a coup.

I'm going to build a chicken tractor soon so I can move them about in my garden. That way then can fertilize the garden and eat the bugs.

I love fresh eggs. I'm having a big bunch of them for Sunday breakfast.
Yum!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

Ya know we just to think my oldest daughter had an egg allergy...
turns out it was from the "Whatever" it is they feed store bought egg farm chickens... now she can eat all the eggs she likes and no rashes or scratchy throats...

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

My favorite chicken is the dual purpose Dominique often called Dominikers. They are related to the barred rock.

They have a nice personality and a common disposition compared to the popular Rhode Island reds who would perfer to bite your hand off.

The sweetest tempered chicken is the silkie. Their feathers are like fluffy down so they can not fly. They are great setters even the rooster so many people keep a few around to hatch eggs from other chicken.

Dominique

Silkie

edit on 12-8-2011 by crimvelvet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
We are taking the plunge into Chicken Adventureland ourselves. Cannot express how useful backyardchickens.com is. We found our plan for the coop and run design, were able to decide which breeds we want to start with and how many. Very active site with plenty of contributors. Our long range goal is to branch out into pheasants and a few peafowl. Really like this thread! Hope it stays active!

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Great thread DB. Very informative as all your threads always are. Glad to see you back man! Been wondering where you have been spending all your spare time lately
Glad to see you back with us misfits and malcontents!

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by havok
I don't know if I need 30 chickens, but maybe 12 or so and maybe 1 rooster. (just incas

Unless you want to breed/hatch your own replacements you con't need a rooster.

Hens lay eggs regardless and the nutritional value is the same fertilized or not.

Just a piece of advice when buying chicks from a hatchery... Do not buy a straight run thinking you'll get an even mix. In my experiannce "stright run" must mean 90% roosters.

Buy pullets...even if you buy a dozen pullets I would bet you'll get a rooster or two anyway. They make errors in sexing all the time at the hatcheries.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join