It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will the next generation of consoles be backward compatible?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I hope that the PS3, XBox2, and GameCube2 are all backward compatible!

However, I've read no news that they will be yet. Does anyone know any updates on this situation???

I hope the PS3 --
...plays PS1 games
...plays PS2 games
...plays PS3 games (obviously!)
...plays audio CDs
...plays DVDs
...and has a built-in hard drive and modem

I hope the XBox2 --
...plays XBox1 games
...plays XBox2 games (obviously!)
...plays audio CDs
...plays DVDs
...and has a built-in hard drive and modem

I hope the GameCube2 --
...plays GameCube1 games
...plays GameCube2 games (obviously!)
...and plays all Game Boy games (from the original Game Boy [black & white] to the Game Boy Advance and Game Boy DS)

Here's hoping!

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I hope they spend their time on making better games and more powerful console than trying to make them backward compatible

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Well its pretty much assured that the next-gen Nintendo system wont be completely backwards compatible, and likely will only play Gamecube disks but not old N64 and S/NES carts. I've heard rumors that the next Microsoft console wont have any backwards compatability in regards to games, but it will still probably play audio cds and such. As for Sony I would think its almost a given that their system will play all the older games.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   
If Sony and Microsoft are intelligent, they will make them backwards compatible. With rumors that each system may cost over $300, it'll be smart to make the new systems be able to play the new and old games.

I like how the PS2 was able to play both, I was able to give my Playstation away. And now that the X-Box price is relativley low, I'll be buying that soon. If they were backwards compatible then they would be able to churn out a small amount of the old version games, (making money for those waiting to buy the upgrade).

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   
What does backward compatible mean?

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Herman
What does backward compatible mean?

Backwards compatible means it will work with previous versions of software or hardware as well as the current.

I think I heard that the PS3 would indeed be backwards compatible from PS1 up, but will not include the ability to play DVDs.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by iceofspades
but will not include the ability to play DVDs.

That cant be true...the games are DVDs...so it can play DVDs.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia

That cant be true...the games are DVDs...so it can play DVDs.

To me of course. I should have thought that one through. But I did hear some feature would not be on it...can't remember...

top topics

join