It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New TV Documentaries, one-eyed disinfo?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Hi Folks,

Mods please move if in the wrong area. I don't start threads often so I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to doing this despite being here for ages.

To my Topic..

I've noticed in the last month on my Electric Idiot Box some interesting documentaries I decided to watch.

One was something like Mystery Revealed, The Pyramids, one on the Sphinx, and one of UFO's. I could only handle 5 or 10 minutes of each due to a number of things. Such as the total feel of Indoctrination, the talking "down" to the audience targetted as Family, the brushing-aside of competing theories as if they are stupid ideas from people with an IQ of 12.

Example:- In the Sphinx documentary they brought up weathering and timeframes for it. We do know there are competing theories on this that each have some merit. This documentary simply introduced an apparent "expert in the field" who immediately denounced the whole concept of longer timeframes for the patterns observed and so was in full support of the standard history of Egypt.. Mr. Hawass' favourite soap box.

That was that. No discussion, no anything of value really.

Family, in particular children, are left to Believe something stated so matter of factly by this expert.. only one expert.. not asking the creators of other theories also.

In two weeks so far there have been three or four such Family targetted documentaries. Each has simply swiped competing information aside as useless, while offering one view only as fact.

There I was glad to find some reason for me to turn on the Idiot Box only to be dashed into oblivion by Superior Programming.

When my daughter was little I somehow managed to glimpse a subliminal screen on the Idiot Box as she watched a Tom and Jerry Toon.. it said in white letters over black background.. "Kids. Disobey your parents."

Ok so I thought I was going nuts until a lady came up to me asking if I had seen it? Phew, so only two of us were nuts by this time! Never seen it again, but I only watch the Box for Motorsport and documentaries of interest.

So, I don't know if anyone else has seen this type of program, one-eyed, no considering options, Indoctrinating, etc. And if so, do you think it Disinfo-style approach so that children in particular accept the statements as Facts and therefore will not look into any alternative?

Yeah okay this isn't a meaty subject like most threads are.. but I'm asking the question

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I find there's documentaries like this on both sides. Some docos give undue attention to people who clearly lack a connection to reality and make outrageous claims, and others as you've observed bring in one 'expert' who mostly spends their time having a good laugh.

It's mostly just different types of entertainment. I don't think there's anything behind it other than different target audiences. Documentary is just not the best place to find information. It comes from the French Documentaire and is mostly opinion or essay based. They've never been really 'factual'. You instantly take a side by pointing the camera at one thing, and choosing not to film the other so they're instantly biased as soon as you begin.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
You seem surprised.

What more value is there to television than indoctrination? Especially in regards to children as their minds are still developing, and are therefore more susceptible to such tactics.

edit on 9/22/2010 by NJE03 because: gramatical error

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Was this on the Discovery channel?
If so I think it automatically gets put under the term "Entertainment" rather then "Documentary"

new topics

top topics

join