It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am captivated! Look at this Low Impact Woodland Home!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+60 more 
posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I want this sooo bad!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1fcbc9631882.jpg[/atsimg]

www.simondale.net...

Absolutely enchanting! Be sure to click the links at the bottom to see the house plans and to see what they are building next.

If I had the land I would do something like this in a new york minute!

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
if I had any carpenting skills, I'd build a house like this for my family in a heartbeat

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a quote from the site:

Main tools used: chainsaw, hammer and 1 inch chisel, little else really. Oh and by the way I am not a builder or carpenter, my experience is only having a go at one similar house 2yrs before and a bit of mucking around inbetween. This kind of building is accessible to anyone. My main relevant skills were being able bodied, having self belief and perseverence and a mate or two to give a lift now and again.

Didn't use a whole lot of tools did he?

+11 more 
posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
You do realize that the house looks suspiciously like it belongs in the Shire! Looking at the picture I kept looking to see if Frodo was gardening!

Aside from that it is a pretty cool dwelling. As long as it's wired and has A.C. I could see myself digging it.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Yep, it's a Hobbitt home. tis why I love it so much!

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I WANT ONE!! Especially after our earthquake - I'd feel safe in there

Nice find
S&F

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Book marked and a promise to myself made-

"I WILL MAKE ONE OF THESE"

Been planning on buying land for a long time, and when I do, me and a small army will just have to make a village of these.

THIS is how we are supposed to be sheltered.

Thank you so much for posting this. It is both beautiful and functional.

Perfect.

S&F

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Pretty cool.

At first I thought he had done it with earthbags. I see long term viability issues with using strawbales, that sandbags overcome. And they're bullet-proof

I would have leaned towards posting it in the Survival forums however, but that's me.

Don't think I've ever seen such crafty log work. Looks like a spider web

I can see major issues with county code officers over that structure. In the U.S. you had better do your homework on which counties you could pull that off in. I've seen some earthbag domes that have gotten past code, but they had to do certain things such as install conduit pipes for electrical wiring. You won't even get it approved as a dwelling without meeting certain electrical wiring and plumbing criteria (meaning they MUST be present).

edit on 13-9-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
This first appeared on ATS two years ago: hobbit house and has appeared here regularly since.

There are many examples there on that site: simondale.net and many more online as well. Subscribe to motherearthnews.com or any of the innumerable other sites for constant news, info, ideas, opportunities in the world of sustainable living.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

There are barns that have stood for over a century in the USA that are built of straw bales. Do some research. Quite a lot of books out on building with straw, mud, etc. They last when done correctly and maintained properly. No building will last unless maintained. Maintenance on these costs less than man-made materials and has infinitely less negative impact on the land. Plus, you don't have to wait for the building supply store to open.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
This is pretty sweet and looks relatively inexpensive to purchase.
I wonder though if I could build something like this where I'm currently living.
Where I live is prone to Earthquakes, floods, mudslides and typhoons, not to mention a torrential monsoon season.

My concern is that building it into the side of any hill side may prove dangerous or destructive at the very least come the rainy season. Also A concern of mine would be the many insects that might find the house edible.
Moreover I have to also consider the prospect of mold accumulating the the hay walls as it traps moister, water being retained in the ceiling and what not. Not that I have to build it like this there are many kubo/ nipa style houses here that can stand for a 100 years but I just like this architecture. I currently live in the land of bamboo and rocks so supplies wouldn't run out.

Substituting hay with woven leaves is better here since its tropical, and coconut fronds make a suitable roof. I think I'm going to attempt a tropical hybrid version of this.

Off to get the plans!

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
That is beautiful and would love to live in something like that . Like others have mentioned it also reminds me of the Lord of the rings style housing . S+F for you .

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

very cool.. that's like my dream house i've been thinking about since i was a kid.

and check out all the others like it... www.simondale.net...

edit on 9/13/2010 by prevenge because: added link

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
It reminds me of this movie...the snow white and the seven dwarfs, i like that movie it was another version... you know with out clothes.. damn those dwarfs

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

"In a hole, in the ground, lived a Hobbit..."

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by MoorfNZ
I WANT ONE!! Especially after our earthquake - I'd feel safe in there

Nice find
S&F

Until the ground caves in and your home has been leveled.

2nd line

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Very nice. ...and easy enough, from the looks of it, to adapt to differing terrains and/or materials.

I like it.

Going to give it some thought for a ways down the road.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by berkeleygal
I want this sooo bad!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1fcbc9631882.jpg[/atsimg]

www.simondale.net...

Absolutely enchanting! Be sure to click the links at the bottom to see the house plans and to see what they are building next.

If I had the land I would do something like this in a new york minute!

Me too, that is my absolute DREAM! I even researched it for a few years and was looking for land..... I was obsessed about it for nearly 3 years.

Now I moved back to the city for a bit, but it is still my goal.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Purely beautiful. If there's a heaven, that's what my house will look like!

I doubt I'll ever be able to make the sort of money needed to set one up here on Earth...

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I saw these on here once before and I love it! I would so live in one of these. My friend and I were talking about how we would love to move in the middle of nowhere and live off the land and grow our own foods and stuff. This would be the perfect home for that! I shared the link with him in a message, I know he would like this.

To me these houses are perfect and nothing more is needed. All the lavish stuff people want for their houses to me is just for show, it serves no real purpose. I don't need 5 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms and fancy digs, I like things simple! This house is perfect for me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join