It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sponge on a string 'could prevent deadly throat cancer'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
The 'Cytosponge' provides the most effective way of identifying a pre-cancerous condition called Barrett's oesophagus.

The condition can occur in people with a long history of heartburn. It is the main risk factor for oesophageal cancer, which affects the gullet connecting the mouth to the stomach.

The device is a swallowable capsule attached to a length of string which expands in the stomach into a three centimetre-wide sponge-like mesh.

An estimated 375,000 people develop Barrett's oesophagus in the UK each year. One in 10 of these patients will go on to develop oesophageal cancer.

I think what a great and a not too invasive procedure for the patient. Because the symptoms are usually hidden by acid reflux and indigestion, the "cytosponge" I think will help earlier detection and in turn save lives.

What a great breakthrough and well done to the scientists involved.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Irish Matador

I will read the link in a moment, just let me shake your hand brother, I've had a nosebleed of a week and that's the best laugh yet. No disrespect at all. First it was your avatar but then - oh man -

Okay, I'm gonna check it out now.

P.S. What about a nasal brush for migraines which stimulates Shatner's Bassoon?

Those gastric bands are a bit hard to swallow.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Catesby

May I return the compliment and I understand why you laughed. Looking at your avatar this article was obivously not intended for you. You will not need the sponge as you can already see it happening!!

On a serious note, I posted the article as alot of people are affected by this and it is very hard to detect.

375,000 people in the UK alone each year. This may be an important article to someone somewhere.

Regards

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Irish Matador

Well said sir. I shall go away and grow up.

Thanks anyhoo...nyhoo....yhoo....hoooo

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
This is a great find. It's so easy to dismiss heartburn or acid reflux as just a meal not digested well. I've had some terrible acid reflux since 19, and it drives me nuts. My mom has had a procedure done to divert the acid, and it's affected her greatly. God forbid something like this disease could arise from bad digestion.
I just recently had a physical and came to my doctor with a checklist of all my aches and pains. But totally forgot to mention the acid issue. Thanks for the post, star, flag, and another appointment with the doctor!!

top topics

join