It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chat Room and the so called Flooding

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I was in the general chat room and got banned for flooding. Not sure why the auto program thinks I am flooding, I am not hitting lots of buttons. But I digress, there are not a lot of people in the general chat room and I think this feature should be removed. It appears that I am being rude when someone asks me a question and I cannot respond. This is my opinion of course and I think ATS should consider removing the auto ban feature for what is called "Flooding". The auto program has no idea what is being said to say that I am Flooding the room. Anyway, this thread is for all the "Flooders" on ATS. Not sure if I put this in the right place or should it be moved to Rants....hmmm, I will leave that up to the Mods to decide. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
uhhh flooding...

slow down your typing.

Maybe type it all out in complete sentence instead of adhd typing;

example

hai
youz
guise
guess what
i

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I will try, but I still don't think this feature is needed in a chat room with so few people. Again that is my opinion....

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I haven't seen that word in years!!!! Flooding....

[quit. Excess flood]

Now I'm all nostalgic for IRC.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

I haven't seen that word in years!!!! Flooding....

[quit. Excess flood]

Now I'm all nostalgic for IRC.

Heh you say that like it's an old medium. I still use it daily.

As do the hundreds of weirdos in the channels I frequent

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Really! That's awesome! I haven't been on IRC in probably 13 or 14 years. Thanks for telling me it's still around, I think I might download a client and see what it's like these days!

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by IrishLass

I think they keep data of the chat room, and so they don't want continuous posting, because it takes up server space, when you could just write what is needed to be said in a single post.

I think the chat is being mis-used. People who claim to be denying ignorance go there and talk about bogus things. Never a collective conversation towards a single topic.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf

Have we met before?

On topic, I op in a few IRC channels and the flooding kicker is a necessary evil in some of them. People come in to flood the channel with links to their channel or website and it gets annoying to have to boot them manually.

-TheAssoc.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

You should have been around before there was any flood protection! Coding effective and fun floods was like a hobby. At one point I was K-lined from all of Undernet and Dalnet for flooding.

Then came ICMP...

Ahh, the good ole' days!

( I wonder if K-line is still an in use term, as well as Undernet and Dalnet....hrm)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Yup. K-lines, G-lines, Z-lines...

I'm such a nerd...

-TheAssoc.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by badw0lf

Really! That's awesome! I haven't been on IRC in probably 13 or 14 years. Thanks for telling me it's still around, I think I might download a client and see what it's like these days!

Oh.. uhh,
if you rare homeless, its a bad place my friend... can be a nasty place.

Efnet, #eztv. Thats a good place. just don't hassle genesis about his speech impediment !!

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAssociate

Originally posted by badw0lf

Have we met before?

It depends on if I was there or not!! Oo

wait, no.. never mind.. thats never mattered before!

oO

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Oh now, who does not remember wingates... oh were they not fun. taking over the perv channels and kicking the pervs.. ahh before it all went proper, and all.. none of this flood protection..

who liked dalnet anyway.. dalvenjah was. *snp*..
gosh Im politer these days..

new topics

top topics

join