It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington State prepares to put a man to death...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Here's the story from a local newspaper.

Convicted murderer dies tonight.

For the first time in nine years, Washington State Penitentiary in Walla Walla will be the sight where a state sanctioned execution will take place just after midnight tonight.

My only concern here is the fact that after his trial and conviction he was diagnosed as bipolar. At the time of his admitted crime, he was undiagnosed and therefore, not undergoing treatment of any sort. My question is this: Does this condition, should this condition, in any way mitigate his sentence? From death, to life without...as his lawyers have asked.

The Ninth Circuit Court in a three judge panel, voting 2 to 1 have denied his latest appeal challenging the conditions of his execution...the single drug method (other than Ohio, Washington is the only state to use the single drug method), and the competency of those administering the drug. His lawyers have since appealed to the Supreme Court, though no decision has yet been made public. The governor, Christine Gregoire, has denied clemency on the grounds that everything was conducted according to the laws of the State of Washington.

As I said above, my only concern, and a valid one in my opinion is the state of his mental health at the time of his crime.

My own opinion is this: If he was mentally competent at the time, death is a suitable punishment. Does a bipolar issue in any way effect ones comprehension of "right" and "wrong". My knowledge of the issue isn't enough to voice an educated opinion...

Thoughts?

join