It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Greatest Invention Ever!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Since we have some of the greatest minds on the planet frequenting our coveted AboveTopSecret boards, I'd like to get some of your all's opinions on what you think is the greatest invention in the world.

As we stand at the pinnacle of mankind, what would you choose? The modern computer? Maybe something that revolutionized modern society like harnessed-electricity? Certainly there is a lot to choose from. Would you choose something that totally altered our society, like an automobile or go for something much more simple and say the wheel?

Let's put on our thinking caps. Remember, we're supposedly at the brink of the Apocalypse and if you can't use your sophisticated electron microscope to get yourself out of a tight jam, is it really that great? Certainly, I hope someone makes that choice and corrects me on why I'd wish I had an electron microscope when the going gets tough.

Maybe we should set some ground rules here. I know how some threads can easily get derailed by details. And I also know how many philosophic minds we have here at ATS. Let's say that the invention has to be man-made. Certainly anyone could make an argument on how the Universe was the greatest invention ever, or maybe Free Will. And I know a few people out there that would love to argue against those types of selections. So, your invention should be nothing that occurs "naturally". Let's stick to things that could be patented, if they were invented tomorrow. Also, I think the selections need to be physical. You should be able to touch, hold and feel the invention. I know one might argue that Love is a man-made conception. Let's not get too far out there on this thread. But please, have fun with it.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Easy...

The Wheel...

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I'll go first.

My pick is the modern-day lighter.

Whether you fancy a Zippo or a Bic, nothing in my book tops the modern lighter. It can be used to harness that element that established mankind: Fire. Which can keep you warm, cook your food or, God forbid, be used as a weapon when you have nothing else.

My choice is Fire in your pocket ... a simple lighter.

edit on 8-9-2010 by tyranny22 because: er, I'll go second.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
Easy...

The Wheel...

I guess we can call this one of the fastest threads on ATS then.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
My choice is writing! With out writing we would of been no where in today's world. Books are awesome as well!

Just for fun I would like to share this link!
brainz.org...
SCIENCE!!!

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Good choice. I knew it'd come up eventually.

Written language.

Without it, there would be no history ... and no future.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by tyranny22

Good choice. I knew it'd come up eventually.

Written language.

Without it, there would be no history ... and no future.

True! Unless we wanted to improve art and also Mathematics would be interesting to be see used more then writing.
Can you imagine drawing a large picture instead of writing a few words down?

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

For some strange reason I figured you'd say gunpowder.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
reply to post by semperfortis

For some strange reason I figured you'd say gunpowder.

Awesome!
Second awesome is needed.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Ah...

But without the wheel, many other things would not be possible..

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
THE INTERNET

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
reply to post by defcon5

Ah...

But without the wheel, many other things would not be possible..

You're right on that. Agricultural and also farming wouldn't be possible. You have to move animals and supplies.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

The 21st century and the web is nothing with out the internet.
AWESOME!!

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Without the wheel, we would most likely have remained in small family groups. Limiting our exposure to other cultures. This would have made us more paranoid and probably led to many more wars.

There is not doubt that without the wheel, our progression would have been severely retarded.

I guess a more important basic invention would have been the edged tool or weapon..

That allowed us to protect ourselves and fabricate other things such as a wheel..

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I'm gonna have to go with Alternating Current

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
The internet.

The sheer ease of communication to someone around the world and the wealth of knowledge that is available, thanks to great sites such as this, make the internet the greatest invention of all time so far.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Interesting post indeed. Such a general topic I am interested in what others may come up with. I will have to say that I believe the greatest man-made invention is the screw. I find those little things quite fascinating.

Cheers

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I'd say the wheel for things that have already been invented but I thought it was about things yet imagined...

Therefore I say energy, ie: zero point, cold fusion etc...

Something that could enable all of us to get off this little rock and see whats out there

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
with out an axle or a point to turn on the wheel would be pretty useless !!

but im sticking with the lighter, pencil also quite handy

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Soap

It's the invention which started our longer lives.

~Keeper

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join