It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quasars Hint That the Laws of Nature Change Over Time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Before I'll start the thread, I want to state that I did not find this to be reported on this site before. But then again, I'm not too satisfied with the google search engine either and I think it should be calibrated.

However, this is not exactly news either as the article I'm about to present some excerpts from are dated to 2003. That doesn't mean that it's not interesting or relevant either, but if any member knowledgable on the subject wants to contribute with new information, please do so.

Precise measurements on the light from distant quasars suggest that the value of the fine-structure constant may have changed over the history of the universe. If the quasar results are eventually confirmed, our concepts of space and time are sure to change our fundamental understanding of the universe.
Confirmation that alpha is changing would have profound implications for physics. For instance, the equivalence principle – one of the cornerstones of relativity theory– states that in freely falling reference frames, the outcome of any non-gravitational experiment is independent of when and where it is carried out. Changes in the value of alpha would constitute a violation of this principle.

The varying speed of light (VSL) theories, first proposed by John Moffat of the University of Toronto and developed in recent years by João Magueijo of Imperial College, John Barrow and others as an alternative to inflationary models in cosmology, could also lead to changes in the value of alpha in the early universe. Inflation and VSL theories attempt to explain features of the universe – such as its apparent flatness– that cannot be explained by the Big Bang theory alone.

Main Source

Direct link to the PDF file the article was based upon

It's an intruiging thought though, isn't it?

edit on by Droogie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
It's a solution to an unsolved problem in physics: are constants really constant? Also there is this: are the laws universal? If they're not we can't tell anything about the universe or our origins since we're just assuming the laws are the same everywhere at every point if time.

edit on 8-9-2010 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

I think that Your article is a former version of what I posted a few days ago , but since I am not a science expert I might be wrong .

Link to my thread with the recent news about this (I think
) : www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
There are already two threads on this topic:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Please continue the discussion in one of the threads quoted above.

Thank you.

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join