It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans drowning in prescription drugs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Americans drowning in prescription drugs

www.blacklistednews.com

Nearly half of all Americans now use prescription drugs on a regular basis according to a CDC report that was just released (1). Nearly a third of Americans use two or more drugs, and more than one in ten use five or more prescription drugs regularly.

The report also revealed that one in five children are being regularly given prescription drugs, and nine out of ten seniors are on drugs.

All these drugs came at a cost of over $234 billion in 2008. The most commonly-used drugs were:

• Statin drugs for older people
• Asthma drugs for children
• Antidepressants for middle-aged pe
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
This should come as no surprise to anyone familiar with the way Big Pharma works, but it is still a pretty shocking figure.

The aim is NEVER to cure anyone, rather it is to keep them taking prescription drugs for as long as possible - preferably for a lifetime.

Everything must now have a "label" leading to a shcoking rise in children being diagnosed with "behaviuoral" disorders, such as ADD/ADHD when in reality, many of them are just being children.

This also ties in with the huge rise in obesity in the western world, as corporations and super companies compete to get people addicted, and more importantly, to keep them addicted, leading to all sorts of health problems, which Big Pharma are more than happy to keep pumping out expensive medications for.

Many here know that the FDA is in collusion with Big Pharma, which leads to the question of why are the peoples own government acting complicitly in creating huge profits for drug companies?

The answer, as always, comes down to one single factor - MONEY.

The unscrupulous politicians, the lobbyists, the FDA, Big Pharma, the insurance companies are sacrificing a nations health in pursuit of profits.

www.blacklistednews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
This is what I hate - kids are being drugged for just being kids.

Stop that drug crappola.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

It is any wonder why we never get any cures. It is about one thing and that is money. They could care less about our health. In reality they want us unhealthy so they can treat rather then cure.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I'm beginning to wonder....
nearly all the perscription drugs now have this little statement on them....
take with food....
what effect does all these people taking all these drugs.....well, could this be a contributing factor in the obesity rate???

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

It could be, but the biggest single factors are lifestyle (sedentary) and the processed sugars in fast foods, which have been shown to be addictive.

I had to laugh at a friend of mine who started buying salads from certain fast food outlets, because they are "healthier" - they didn't realise that the salads actually contain more sugars than the "un-healthy" burgers.

It would seem as though there is something of a vicious circle where obersity and presrciption drugs are concerned, but perhaps more of a problem, and very scary indeed is the number of NSAIDs which state "DO NOT STOP TAKING THIS MEDICATION WITHOUT CONSULTING YOUR DOCTOR"

Then there are the anti-depressants which cause suicidal thoughts, and which patients have to be weaned off (assuming the Dr doesn't try to keep you on them) the statins which are supposedly the new wonder drug (various studies have shown that they are ineffective in the job they are promoted as doing) other drugs such as Ritalin being given to children all over the US and western Europe, etc etc

I would encourage everyone to do some good, solid research before taking any new medication, and DISCUSS ANY CONCERNS YOU MIGHT HAVE WITH YOUR DOCTOR.

I am NOT advocating stopping taking any existing medication, or refusing treatment - there are often alternatives to certain popular medications which MAY be less harmfull.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   
law.rightpundits.com...

they are finding a link between the bone density building drugs and throat cancer....
gee, can't imagine why....
I've taken those drugs for a short time...
they are acidic, or they cause the stomach to produce alot of acid....
most of the drugs on the market now days seem to.

I never have a problem with acid, unless I am taking some drug that the doctor decided I need....and well, lately, I am only taking them if I am hurting like heck!!!

a high acidic ph is linked to cancer...and gee, everything they are giving you is causing you to have that high ph....
and they are curing you??

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
It's actually really scary how many drugs are "discovered" to have adverse side effects after they have been on the market for a while.

The FDA have a lot to answer for.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
those are some rather frightening figures.

it still amazes me how so many people just nod like robots as the doctor hands them endless bottles of pills. never doing even a lick of research on the compounds and their mechanisms of action before they have at them.

several of my family members have turned into zombie's from their MAOI/SSRI regimens. barbaric drugs that should be outlawed....

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
It's sad, most of the health conditions that are treated with poison from big pharma, could just as easily be treated with mother nature.

There is a potent and powerful plant in mother nature for just about any health ailment. Take depression for instance, the most potent SSRI known to man is found in a plant. It's called St. John's Wort. The chemical in St. John's Wort is active at the microgram range. Kanna is another one, the most powerful SSRI in the world, in plant form (powerful is not synonymous with potent). For ADD, there is ephedra. For pain, the unmentionable herb. For cancer, there are literally hundreds of plants. Give me a disease, and I will name a powerful plant that will treat it.

Oh, and don't give me that long term study crap. 5 years, 10 years... IS NOT LONG TERM. Diseases can take 30 - 45 years after exposure to appear a lot of the time. Take asbestos for instance, sometimes cancer won't appear for upwards of 30+ years later.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
A few years ago i was addicted to oxycontin. I did a treatment know as rapid detox where they put you to sleep give you a shot and you detox in 4 he's as opposed to a week or more.come to find the same Comping that distrutes oxycontin also makes the rapid detox. Just like the good book says its all about the Benjamins

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I posted about this once before. Next time you made a doctors appointment, keep an eye on how many men with suits come in and out of that office carrying their "stash".

Big Pharm are the biggest drug dealers on earth. And nothing they peddle helps people. "Take this to fix that, but you'll have to take this to counter the side effects of that". Its sickening. And 90% of the time these "doctors" don't even know the full extent of what they are prescribing people. They just get a kick back for moving units.

Perfect example. I went to my doctor with back pain and slight depression. She instantly put me on Cymbalta. 2 years later I CAN'T get off this drug because the withdrawals are so horrible, they have been claimed to be worse than getting off heroin.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Yep, the Pharmaceutical Industry is a complete disgrace. In the below video Ian R Crane provides a decent analysis of Big Pharma/Codex and also provides some interesting reading material, such as Corporate Crime in the Pharmaceutical Industry.

Related:
Prescription Drug Stats a Bitter Pill to Swallow
On Being Sane In Insane Places
The Century of the Self

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Lets make a statement. We could organize some large protest at a pharmaceutical production site near you today!

Are there alot of them in the USA, or are they mostly in Canada?

Woah check this out. There is a list of many Pharmaceutical Manufacturer Information
at the following url, www.druginfonet.com... .

We just have to match up the very large lists with their associated products, and plan for action ...

Source Mission Statement
Our purpose in establishing this web site is to simplify your search for healthcare information. You can review the Drug InfoNet pages containing our information and link to other healthcare sites on the Internet. We want to provide the widest range of he althcare information, coupled with the easiest possible access. If you have found web sites which are relevant and useful to you, please let us know. We are constantly reviewing sites for addition to Drug InfoNet and continually updating this site. Thank you for your interest. We hope to provide a valuable addition to your improved health.

edit on 10/23/2010 by DYepes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I take my dad to the VA, and lately he's been having to go back more now. It started last year with a bad couple of teeth. So he kept taking aspirin. Well shortly after getting them taken care of he fell on his leg when he got dizzy one night. Because he was taking so much aspirin he had really thin blood so a normal bump turned into a bruise your whole leg kinda thing. Well my uncle and I had to drag him 90 miles to the VA hospital so he could get signed up there for care. Well after getting that taken care of they put him on two different low blood pressure pills. It wasn't long after that he started having problems sleeping, and he used to sleep fine even with his bad teeth bothering him. Now he's having lower back pain which is radiating into his hip and knee. Basically the VA likes to solve things by throwing more and more drugs at the problem. My dad went many many years without so much as going to the doctor, and in the past 10 months our countertop has been filled with pill bottles from the VA. It sickens me because I see it at the VA more than anything. They just throw drugs at people without solving the issue.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
There is even a company that got the FDA to turn omega 3 fish oil into a prescription medication.
www.lovaza.com...

What next will the makers of Lovaza pay off someone in the FDA to stop the OTC sales of fish oil,

I take the OTC fish oil and the bottle i have has the same ingredients as Lovaza and cost a lot less.
I have been taking them since my heart attack and 5 way bypass surgery.
While recovering in the VA hospital(staffed by doctors from UCLA) they had me on 2000mg fish oil and after i got out I figured if they felt they were good i would just keep taking them.
I have not had any heart problems other then bradycardia that is linked to my neurosarcoidosis since the bypass surgery.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I believe that it is because of Big Pharma a lot of states "think" they are having money problems. I have been on meds for the last year for my cancer (bone cancer). In the hospital and in my records it was showing up I had been ordered near 15 different prescriptions...truth of the matter is, and it is my choice, I chose to use only six of the 15.

Therefore, according to "paper work" I'm still on record as taking 9 more scripts than I am taking. In other words...the paper work shows I am "spending" whatever the scripts are worth. I have told the Dr.'s office I do not take those meds...but they are never removed. What if there are others out there that are in the same boat I am. On "paper" taking more meds than they really are. Would that not mean many states are paying more money than needed to Drug Companies? Is it laziness on behalf of the nerds that are working for the state or is it some kind of kick back? Maybe they just don't care.

BTW...Another thought...when the SHTF, what happens to all the "legal" newly created and long time legal drug addicts out there??? Great way to take out another big hunk of the population, huh?

~holly

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
ill never trust another doc they put me on xanax (alprazolam) 2mg 3 times a day 4 if i needed it he didnt tell me they were addictive id never even herd of them an when i ran out once on holidays i was that sick for two weeks every time i tried to stand up i got that dizzy i thout i was going to faint acualy i probly would of if i didnt lay back down, i called it jap tourcher lol, after two weeks of that it was much less sideffects but it still took agood three months before i slep half decent. when i got back from a torcher holiday i could of killed him for doing that

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
The reason why the American people are soft-killed with prescription drugs is because the globalist elite can advance their population control agenda and not bat an eye among the already ignorant sheeple.

Unfortunately, this seems to be working, and it really is working right now.

Sometimes you would have to wean your loved ones or even your friends off their Xanax, Ritalin or whatever drugs they're taking. They're popping pills like Skittles to death!

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   

BTW...Another thought...when the SHTF, what happens to all the "legal" newly created and long time legal drug addicts out there??? Great way to take out another big hunk of the population, huh?

That right there is the problem and why we need to be armed when shtf. All those addicts are gonna be seriously jonesin for their dope, and will try anything to find a substitute. Most will probably go crazy and do not good things. Thats the segment I am really looking out for.

new topics

top topics

join