It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The speed at which time travels...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Now, this is something I don't believe to many people worry or think about. Why is there time? What's it do, where's it come from? Is it in our minds or is it something physical in our universe.

Well turns out time is how we percieve it moving forward in one fluent unchanging motion from the past to the future. Like now, and now, and now, and now and forver... Mind bending to me.

One theory I have come up with is that aparently our stars move REALLY fast and if we're in orbit around our star, the sun... Then aren't we moving REALLY fast? According to Einstien's Theory of Realitivity. Or E=MC^2, time travel is possible which could mean that time as we know it is dependant on how fast our star is moving through space. So as fast as time goes for us is different from that of another solar system that could have a star moving much slower which means time for them would move slower cause they move faster through time. And, that also could mean that time only moves at the speed it does for us because our star is moving fast or slow. So a second isn't even a second once you leave the solar sytem... a second could be a year on earth depending on how fast you're moving.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Time moves the speed of light because the lightcones are a diagonal of slope 1 and -1, both passing through the origin on those nifty space-time graphs.

Hehe, that's well enough accurate.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Yeah, time can be a *snip* it you let it be that. I would like to eventually understand how "time" works.

I personally have some sort of idea that there is no "time" All is and has always been and always will be. That in itself is a fuzzy sort of thing to try to understand.

Like I said, I would like to eventually understand how time works, if there is such a thing.

Maybe sciences will eventually explain all this time stuff. I welcome that.

I really, I guess, have nothing to add or take away from your post, OP.
Nice stuff, though, that you posted. I enjoyed it.

I'm looking forward to other folks' posts that can add to this subject.

edit on 9/8/2010 by seagull because: removed censor circumvention

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Heh, like I understand that! lol
Thanks, something more for me to wonder about!

Seriously, thanks!

Aw, shucks, the OP left the arena.

[edit on 8-9-2010 by kyred]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
The theory of relativity is based on time relative to the person moving, hence the name, so for all of us, time always is normal but to those not traveling at our pace it is different. The universe is not expanding as much as everything in it is moving away from each other. This seems like the same thing but it is not, and so the universe is not expanding just all the objects in it are moving.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Theyarelying

Time moves at 60 mph (minutes per hour)

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Human organ is used to perceive change. Time itself is another conception, which is the sense we get from changes around us. More changes, more fast the time seems to pass. Everyone can observe how time passes slowly when it is boring and when we are expecting some change to happen. But when we experience lot of changes, i.e we are active, time passes flying.

Our skin for example, doesn't sense temperature itself, but changes in it. We may imagine that it does, but have you ever thought why +5 celsius does feel warmer in the autumn than it does in summer? Because we are used to certain temperatures. We can get ourselves used to -20 if we want to. Of course there are our organic limits.

Same goes with other senses aswell We get used to bad smell, darkness, brightness and so on. So my opinion is that time itself doesn't exist, but it is the speed of events and changes that determines the feeling we call time.

-v

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
time is nothing more than a measurement.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
never in my life have i ever pondered the speed of time. Very interesting actually. S&F for something cool to think about before bed.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Theyarelying

An interesting mind teaser. This is something to think about. But remember this:

-- Time is relative, NOT absolute

General relativity states time runs slower near a massive body like the Earth. The farther away you are from Earth time runs faster. Simple physics.

Time may be a measurement. But so is width, length, height, and whatever other 18 to 22 dimensions that make up our known universe.

Perhaps time does have a speed/rate. With our current technology, time's speed is nearly impossible to measure. Perhaps something might be measured if you had two observers who are 20 billion light years away with instantaneous communication.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
How can you measure the speed of time when speed = distance / time?

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Another thing to think about in terms of relativity.

This goes along with time moving slower near higher mass. Mass and Density curve space-time, and the faster an object travels it has more mass. (I think this is right, someone correct me if I'm wrong) So time actually moves slower, in relation to the object moving faster. Put a human in the fast moving object and the human perceives time the same as he did when the object was standing still. Another person standing still, is actually experiencing time at a faster speed but it feels just the same as the person moving faster.

So if you took twins, born at exactly the same time (for our purposes lets say this can happen), put twin one in a ship that could travel at speeds near lightspeed and have him travel 6 months in one direction and turn around and come back for another 6 months at near the speed of light, he would be traveling for exactly one year. Therefore upon his return to his starting point, twin one would have traveled for exactly one year, and be one year older relative to his starting age. So if he were 20, he would now be 21.

Lets say that twin two was left at the starting point in a space suit and his life was sustained in some way. He watched his twin leave in the space ship, and knew his twin would travel for "one year" according to his space ship's clock (which would be telling time in relation to how twin one was experiencing it, since twin one would be traveling at the same speed as the space ship and its clock). Twin two would theoretically be waiting for far longer than a year, and upon twin ones return, would be older. Twin one would have aged one year exactly whereas twin two may have aged two years, based on the fact that time would actually be moving slower for twin one because the mass created by traveling near light speed would bend space time. According to Einstein's theory (and these numbers are just there for example, I really don't know how much time would slow), twin one would be 21 and twin two could be 22 or 23, even though they were both born at the same time.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Relativity of time is a pretty difficult abstraction to get your head around, and it seems counter intuitive, but there have been a few experiments that actually prove it to be true.
If you put a very accurate clock into an airplane and keep another on the ground and fly east the clock on the plane will move faster (kinetically) then the clock on the ground and so time slows down for the flying clock relative to the one on the ground),
This experiment has been done with positive result and you can read about it here

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
time is just such an interesting topic that you can spend a life time and more just thinking about that, we may never really know all of its secrets even 23 generations down the line. then i might be wrong

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I understand all your comments and appriciate them. Sorry for my bad spelling and grammar... I'm not un-intelligent, just bad with writing lol. Not to make any assumptions anyways.

The problem is that I dont understand why if time is going slower for someone else and not for another. There are many possibilities, but time is just as most said existant and can be bent. But what if it's only existant based on our molecular density, mass and speed? It relates to gravity, it relates to speed, gravity and speed are two in the same that they are always constant and nothing is ever completely motionless. But what if this aswell can be bent? So can time, in all ways. Time feels the same based on changes.

Basically what I'm saying is that time is always going to feel the same based off our own events... But the relativity of it is, that time isn't constant only for our concious it is. Time can be accelerated if we are still and low in mass which puts you moving faster through time. The opposing scenario is that when you are moving faster in speed and are near or apart of high masses then time is moving only slower moving you faster through time as the slower atoms know it. So if our galexy's and stars speed is extreamely fast say 50% the speed of light then we are moving 50% faster in time then a stand still atom. But not as WE our concious minds notice, because the rate of events is still the same no matter how fast or slow.

Something that could or couldn't be measured based on its actual relativity. It's bording a spin off of Einstien, but it makes scense.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   

hey

lets say you go out there to another part of the universe

because of physics, gravity, you may experience life faster than us, but for YOU experiencing it, it will be like always, you wont notice anything

for people here, time would be slower, but thats all relative

thats why we can travel to the future, by, as an example, going to a super high ultra speed train and live there for a few years, when it stops, you will see earth like 100 years more than what you experienced

you can find more about this, more accurate, in hawking documentary from this year ... just search it

but for you, time didnt change ... its all about perspective and relative

edit on 11/9/10 by Faiol because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Yes, that is what I'm trying to theorise... I'll need to do more math on it, just tryingt o figure out where to start. Seeing as time has so many different dimensions it'll be hard to figure out if its all relative to speed, or just a constant thing that can be manipulated.

top topics

join