It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Iran lashes back at the UN human rights accusations.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Iran has responded to the latest of UN's accusation on human rights violations, by saying that the UN should first solve their own human rights issues before criticising those of Iran.

Iran rebukes EU on rights abuses

Iran has lashed out at the EU, saying the 25-member bloc should solve its own human rights issues before criticising those of the Islamic Republic.

The comments come after the EU warned it was gravely concerned with human rights violations in Iran.

In a recent report, the group said the situation in Iran was worse now than at any time since reformist Mohammad Khatami became president in 1997.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

In the report it is said that since there seems to be some sings of progress on human rights on Iran, at least superficially.

Related News
NEI: Other news from Iran.

[edit on 22-6-2004 by Muaddib]

[edit on 6-22-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Iran has been on the news recently on several issues and it seems the US is not the only one that is bringing up the problems with Iran. With the new reports that Iran has massed Iranian soldiers on its borders and the latest news that they have detained UK soldiers is just adding to the list of accusations presented. I believe its very possible we are getting ready for invading Iran. The threats from Iranian extremists on using missiles on 29 targets is not helping them the least. Perhaps this is one of the reasons why the world's navies are reported to be at sea.

The top image was taken 11 August 2003, the lower image on 22 March 2004 (Image: DigitalGlobe/ISIS)

Nuclear inspectors are expected to visit a site in the Iranian capital, Tehran, following evidence from satellite photographs that it was scraped clean earlier in 2004.

The Lavizan Shiyan Technical Research Centre, in a north-eastern suburb of the city, has been under mounting suspicion of harbouring secret military activities since it was named by an Iranian opposition group in 2003.

Excerpted from.
www.newscientist.com...

(Somehow i changed the original title from News to "TOP STORY" and for some reason it got updated from a submission)

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Iran complaining about human rights violations to the UN? Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Actually Iran said that the UN should look internally and work their own problems with human rights violations, which is true. Many nations of the UN do have a lot of problems with human right violations within their own borders. There is something definetly wrong with the UN, since it is ironic to blame something about other nations that is allowed to happen in nations that are part of the UN. Nowadays if a dictator talks about peace and downplays big governments they are viewed as "the hope of mankind", even if these dictators commit the worse acts of violence and oppression towards their own people.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I too believe that Iran will be next on the list for invasion. But, there are some questions I have that maybe someone can answer. Is Iran required to disarm their WMDs? And, I keep hearing of Iran claiming to detain al Qaeda operatives, but then the US says Iran harbors terrorists...So whats the deal? We should probably be asking these questions before such an invasion would take place...

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
I too believe that Iran will be next on the list for invasion. But, there are some questions I have that maybe someone can answer. Is Iran required to disarm their WMDs? And, I keep hearing of Iran claiming to detain al Qaeda operatives, but then the US says Iran harbors terrorists...So whats the deal? We should probably be asking these questions before such an invasion would take place...

The way I understand it, only five countries are allowed to have nuclear weapons under UN authority -- the US, UK, France, Russia, and China. The other countries with nuclear weapons right now -- India, Pakistan, Israel, and North Korea (with about 10 other countries trying to build nuclear weapons) -- aren't supposed to have them at all.

Of course, this assumes that UN has any authority to enforce what its members decide...

Most of the countries in the Middle East have been harboring terrorists since the 1960's. It's not like it's a sudden surprise now to discover that there were terrorists in Iran. They've been there for decades. As for the 'detaining' of terrorists... I think they rounded up a few for some questions, then said they were innocent and let them go, and hoped that this would get the West off their backs.

Not that amassing troops at the Iraq border helped their cause any...

top topics

join