It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

which military eats the best?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
You know, all the branches eat good, we all complain about lousy chow but we still ate it, part of the military experience. Why complain about it, if you were a single soldier, you ate free!

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I know many people swear by MREs, and Ill admit there are some that are pretty good, Chicken fajita, chili mac and the like.

I was ruined however on a 117 degree North Carolina summer wile on a field exercise. Chicken tetrazzini. Oh yeah you know the one. Tastes like Campbells, it was great and I traded my cheese omelet to some guy who loved them.

After getting about 1/2 way through it I bit into a foreign object which upon retrieving from my mouth turned out to be a chicken neck vertebra.

Hot day+ slimy haphazardly processed bird= My current dislike of MREs.
So much so in fact that I would sometimes not eat for a day or two just to avoid it.

For those who have been in the US ARMY...Whats the deal with that occasional day when they serve OX tails and chicken gizzards? Am I missing something or was that my bad experience?

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Submarines

Yup. Brother was Silent Service as well. Alot of time and effort went into making sure the sardines were well fed. Though he used to tell me the chief of the boat would harass them about stuffing themselves at meals then it being difficult to pass one another in the corridors...

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by foxhoundone

I remember all of the above - hated the bacon grill thou', always seemed to catch fire. Loved the babies heads in the tin, along with the chicken curry, lush. Oh, and the mixed fruit pud's...

The old tinned rations were pretty good, but I prefer the more recent "boil in bag" jobbies.

Screech powder - eek.

Anyways, on a general note - thought we were discussing rat-packs, not other AF catering. That said, Brize-Norton always did a rather good breakfast.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowen20

I know many people swear by MREs, and Ill admit there are some that are pretty good, Chicken fajita, chili mac and the like.

I was ruined however on a 117 degree North Carolina summer wile on a field exercise. Chicken tetrazzini. Oh yeah you know the one. Tastes like Campbells, it was great and I traded my cheese omelet to some guy who loved them.

After getting about 1/2 way through it I bit into a foreign object which upon retrieving from my mouth turned out to be a chicken neck vertebra.

Hot day+ slimy haphazardly processed bird= My current dislike of MREs.
So much so in fact that I would sometimes not eat for a day or two just to avoid it.

For those who have been in the US ARMY...Whats the deal with that occasional day when they serve OX tails and chicken gizzards? Am I missing something or was that my bad experience?

lol you actually like the chicken fajita? I personally swear by #13 Cheese tortellini. I too had a bad experience with the gizzards, almost choked on a bone once, not sure what part it was....only that it was sharp and nearly cut my throat.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
The meatloaf MRE and the breadded chicken patty is the best IMHO
oh, cant forget the spaghetti!!!

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
MREs (Meals Ready to Eat)

how do you cook them?

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeutronAvenger
reply to post by rubbertramp

I heard the Air Force has pretty good food
ya, I will vouch for that
would be the best In my rating..

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I hear that the Salvation Army eats pretty well. When ever I see one ringing a bell outside a store around the holidays they seem well fed.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

God bless your bf!
While the Air Force eats pretty good food, I didn't think it was much of a secret that
submariners eat the best.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

MREs come with a flameless ration heater, its activated by water, it heats the foil package. I could do a youtube video on how it works

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

that was funny

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

oh yes, i know about mre's. i was on an mre diet a few times myself.

i think it's the magnesium chemical packets that cause the water to heat up and warm up the food. some info about mres is in that video, along with a reporter getting it explained to him.

thanks,
et

[edit on 7-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher

A.K.A - Meals Rejected by Ethiopians!

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soshh

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher

A.K.A - Meals Rejected by Ethiopians!

Meals Rejected by Everyone

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I thought it was MREs: 3 lies for the price of one.

More seriously though, I expect it depends on what you were brought up with as to which meals are best. I'm now wondering what the Chinese / Japanese armies eat - Freeze dried sashimi?

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I watch the Travel Channel and there is a show called Bizzare Foods, and the host, Andrew Zimmern eats practically anything in diffrent countries, ie pig eyes, bull testicles, but he was REVOLTED by an MRE in one segment, I died laughing

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join