It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US black leadership any credibility?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
90% single parent birth. 50% live births aborted. High numbers for males under 40 in prison or on probation/parole.

This is the realization of a "dream"?

This is a disgrace.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I don't get what your trying to say here, as your title is a little confusing. With that being said, I don't think it has to do with their race, so much as the culture that much of the race subscribes to, as well as poverty. So in otherwords, I believe that if whites, hispanics or Asians subscribed to the same quasi culture, they too would have the same statistics. Or, if a black doesn't subscribe to that culture, they will have a better chance of being law-abiders or family-oriented people. When you idolize rappers and gangsters and look down upon education and family values, I think you are far more susceptible to commit crimes and abandon children.

What's really scary, is that the same culture that I believe is ruining the African-American community, is slowly creeping into the rest of society. It is no longer contained only to the black community.

--airspoon

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I work for one of the most well known and oldest Black leadership organizations in the US and can say this topic is far to difficult for most people (black or white) to fully grasp. You are right their leadership has failed, and after the Civil Rights movement in the 60's there was a severe decline in Black community activism. But the reasons of why this happened are not solely the Black leaderships responsibility. The entitlement programs, project housing programs, and other laws and programs passed by democratic and republicans alike are a big part of that. Also the Vietnam war and influx of crack coc aine into the black communities was a major reason for the decline in quality of life in these areas. Then the unequal judicial practices of convicting and sentencing crack coc aine users and dealers to lengthy prison sentences which removed many of the fathers from these homes, versus the conviction and sentencing of powdered coc aine users and dealers (mainly white) is another reason. All of this points to the governments partial responsibility and ownership of these problems. It's far more complicated than just blaming 'them'.

To sum up everything I just said: this thread is wrong and the op is ignorant on this issue, to say the least.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by chorizo4

i'm not totally disagreeing with anything you said. but can you site a source for those statistics, please?

and something about the title could be interpreted as .... abrasive, and possibly even offensive to some.

it's like saying "Civil Rights Leader Glenn Beck"
it just doesn't sound right.

[edit on 5-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

Actually his statistics are pretty accurate, it's more of his tone and "This is the realization of a dream?" statement that offended me, like he is insinuating that Martin Luther King's dream was lost because of the black leaders fault. If he explained further what he meant, we may actually be in agreement, or maybe not.

You want some more statistics that will blow your mind? Hold on let me dig them up I'll be right back...

ETA: Ok here are a few statistics just released to me about our local school district. Mind you, this is a northern, not southern, city that prides itself on its liberal ideologies and equal rights.

42% of Black male seniors did not graduate high school last year.
36% of Black female seniors did not graduate high school last year.
93% of all Black seniors failed the ACT college readiness benchmark scores last year.

Now to put that into perspective, versus White seniors.

Only 9% of White male seniors did not graduate last year.
Only 6% of White female seniors did not graduate last year.
Only 26% of all White seniors failed the ACT college readiness benchmark scores last year.

The statistics of conviction rates (prison sentences), public housing and life expectancy rates, are even more devastating. There is a real epidemic going on in their community and there is no MLK, Malcolm X type of voice to speak up for them. And like 'Airspoon' had stated, this problem is leaking into the White community as well. Our country is falling apart because we have refused to help the people on the bottom up, and now they are dragging us down. Them and our out of control economy and government, which is totally corrupt. It is time we stand up and take action!

[edit on 5-9-2010 by LifeIsEnergy]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by LifeIsEnergy

I must commend you on the well written post.

But you deflected the question by blaming the whites for the problem of why there is no serious black leadership in this country.

Of course one thing is certain.

When legitimate conservative black leaders such as Colin Powell,Condaleeza Rice or J.C.Watts speak out they are called Uncle Toms.

Did you just by chance join this forum on the same day as this thread was started?

Or were you told to do so?

From what I understand and my white European friends very well understand is ANY organization that is created to further the cause of a individual race or ethnicity is a racist organization.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

Not once did I blame whites for anything, but I did place partial blame on the Government and institutions. I also stated that Black leaders have failed for the most part, I just said that it wasn't solely their fault, as there are many factors into why this communities quality of life has declined.

No, I did not just join this forum, as you can see in my avatar area I joined months ago. And I hardly ever comment on race relation topics, as you can see from my previous posts, I just felt compelled to do so tonight.

And, I understand your concern over what is labeled as 'All Black' organizations. It is very easy to see it as racism when you are an outsider who is secluded and sheltered from these problems. These organizations do not exclude Whites, they simply focus on empowering their own people, who need it, because no one else is willing to do so. All Black colleges except whites, all Black organizations except Whites, there is no segregation or discrimination involved, and if you look into these organizations you will find many White people, like myself.

And I wouldn't call Colin Powell or Condaleeza Rice Black leaders. Yes they are Black, but community leaders they are not.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by LifeIsEnergy

Actually his statistics are pretty accurate, it's more of his tone and "This is the realization of a dream?" statement that offended me, like he is insinuating that Martin Luther King's dream was lost because of the black leaders fault. If he explained further what he meant, we may actually be in agreement, or maybe not.

the black community has some leaders worth listening to, in my opinion.

thanks for those statistics, i believe them to be representative of the truth, unfortunately. i just think people are better than this, and wish we all acted like it. everyone deserves an equal chance to be who they want to be and do what they want to do.

thanks,
et

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by LifeIsEnergy
And I wouldn't call Colin Powell or Condaleeza Rice Black leaders. Yes they are Black, but community leaders they are not.

They may not be "leaders" as you would like to define the word but they are symbols of what can be acheived to those that put the stereotypes behind them and push to achieve things. In that sense they are leaders and more people should be following their examples. Bastardizing them only serves to divide the black community, diverting the attention from what is possible.

[edit on 9/5/2010 by abecedarian]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I, also, am confused about what you are asking.

But, regardless, I would say that I don't look at skin colour, I look at ideals, beliefs and commitments.

Any leader needs to have integrity.

"It don't matter if you're black or white" RIP Michael.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Isn't POTUS black and a leader?

Well let us look at the leadership especially the more vocal elements. We have Al Sharpton (Conked headed cretin). Jesse Jackson (senile ninny), the Nation of Islam (rabid and fundamentalist ninnys), the new black panther party (Where ignorance is truly bliss).

Where is the mass organisation that articulates the problems of NOW?

THere isn't one. Hence I would say that their is most definately a crisis in black leadership but even then what is the leadership designed to do?????

As the OP topic is black leadership I have responded as such but what about white leadership? What about the women's leadership?

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Tiger5

I starred your post because I feel that the lack of leadership is nowhere near a racial problem - it is a systemic problem for all of us!

The world, right now, seems to be starving for real role models and persons of character in positions of power.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

reply to post by abecedarian

I agree with both of you.

reply to post by Tiger5

You make some really good points. I agree that this problem of leadership is not solely secluded to the Black community, it is a growing problem in all areas of society. I do feel that in these next coming decades there will be another strong social movement comparable to the one we saw in the 60's, but you are right, there are very few people as of right now that can, or will, bring this about. However, there are some, like the man who just started heading up the organization I am working for, and soon they will rise to the national stage. It's only a matter of time.

reply to post by Hefficide

Couldn't have said it better.

top topics

join