It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Check out this robot!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Now here is a real peach of a robot IMO,the Bear from venca robotics.
BEAR= Battlefield Extraction Assist Robot.

Its strong,fast and can change config between high and low profile.It can carry a full grown human out of harms way in a battlefield injury situation.

Its sort of like a super power robot medic in some ways.

www.liveleak.com...

The Battlefield Extraction-Assist Robot, or BEAR, is an extremely strong, extremely agile robot roughly the size and shape of an adult male human. It is designed to safely lift humans, carry them, and put them down. Specifically, it is built to rescue human casualties from dangerous areas and take them back to safety. More generally, it is designed to lift heavy objects, carry them for long distances as needed, over obstacles such as stairs or rough terrain, and set them down safely.

www.botmag.com...

And it can crawl or stand up,while carrying someone:

And here is a video of the little critter performing various tasks,with a CGI video of how it could be used in the field.

Looking good I think-there could certainly be a place for these in the future,but first of all you have to prevent your super expensive robot from being disabled by some teenagers with a net/bin bag/petrol bomb.

Send one of those into a Glasgow estate and it would not return...never mind Helmand.But UPSCALE the beast to say the size of a tower block,and arm it with hellfires...then it may return from Glasgow,maybe.

But I like the design,and they could be helpful for old/injured folks for lifting up stairs or out of bed.

All in all an impressive robot I think.

What do you think-A good robot or the route to a skynet/matrix future?

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Wow... lol. Someone was thinking.

I didn't get to watch all the video yet but the concept is awesome.

The one problem I see is if the enemy could somehow override the commands and make them do harm, not work efffectively or go in the wrong direction when carring a wounded soldier.... ugh...

Good one Silcone! Thanks for putting this baby up!

Take care.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Very good thoughts anon72-the robot could be jammed or jacked by some signal savvy hackers.
Imagine it,a wounded soldier thinking he was being robo rescued,only to find the robot dumps him into enemy hands.

That could very well happen if the designers of this bot did not use sufficient encryption on the wireless aspect of thier(admitedly awesome)design.

I hope they did.
If I was to add anything to the design,it would be serious armour to cover all the hydraulic cables.
They looked to be a weak point.

Protect the cables,and defend against plastic bag/net assault-Then this robot is onto a winner IMO.

I would love to see this robot go far.
Its our real yet practical and without the cheesy voice version of "Johnny 5"

Once again,life imitates art.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Why even have soldiers on the battlefield when this guy can fire a .50 caliber and missiles at the same time. This is the end of the Combat mission, using people.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I wonder if it is any way related to the Military robot that feeds on dead bodies...... Robots never cease to creep me out even if they are simple helper robots lol.

Edit to add... It seems they have changed the original news article associated with the thread I linked..But I'm still creeped out by robots

S&F OP!

[edit on 3-9-2010 by Solar.Absolution]

new topics

top topics

join