It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Richest lawmakers grew wealthier as economy faltered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   

The rest of the country is still struggling with high unemployment amid a sluggish-at-best economic recovery -- but the wealthiest members of Congress are in high cotton. Indeed, the top 50 wealthiest lawmakers saw their combined net worths increase last year, according to the Hill's annual analysis of financial disclosure documents.

Combined, the 50 lawmakers were worth $1.4 billion in 2009 -- an $85.1 million increase over their 2008 total -- the Hill reports. The members' total combined assets depreciated by nearly $36 million last year -- but Congress' well-to-do set also reduced their debts by a combined $120 million.

The list of 50 lawmakers spans both parties (27 Democrats and 23 Republicans) and both chambers of Congress (30 House members, 20 senators), the Hill reports.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source: news.yahoo.com...

Of course many of our elites aren't seeing hard times and in fact, they are doing pretty well, as is obvious by their apparent disconnect with the reality that the rest of us live through.

It's good to see that their descisions don't negatively effect them too, not even in an indirect way. This little piece of information is disgusting and not for the obvious reasons. I have no interest with the government spreading wealth, only that I think they should get their hands off of mine or what little I do have.

I suggest that everyone read the article.

--airspoon

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Amen brother.

And they are interesting stats, to say the least. I'm going to refer to these stats every time I hear a radical leftist accuse Conservatives of being in the pockets of big corporations. It sort of blows holes in their arguments.....lol.

Thank you for the OP.

join