It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wyoming Man Donates $1.5M to Defend Arizona Immigration Law in Court

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Wyoming Man Donates $1.5M to Defend Arizona Immigration Law in Court

www.foxnews.com

PHOENIX -- A Wyoming man has given more than $1.5 million to help defend Arizona's controversial immigration enforcement measure in court, Gov. Jan Brewer's office said Thursday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 9/3/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   
being an arizona native, I am still concerned about the backlash that enforcement of this law may cause. I'm not sure I'm comfortable giving anybody on our law enforcement more power.

At the same time - the state desperately needs to fight back against illegal immigration and it's negative effect on our country.

I find it very interesting to see people from other states stepping up this much though. What do you guys make of this?

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 9/3/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I am not sure I understand American law and politics....

I mean, when I immigrated to Australia 2 years ago, the first thing people asked me at job interviews were...are you legal, show me your passport, show me your visa etc etc.

Some places did not even want to give me a permanent position here because I was not a permanent resident or citizen, even though I was legally entitled to live and work here.....because I paid a fortune to come here, and was on a temporary visa while applying for permanent residency!

There is definately something wrong with America today, your government and most of your people are just waaay too politically correct.

I couldn't even get an account at a video rental store because I was not a permanent resident.....My bank account was a temporary account when I first received it, I couldn't have loans, credit cards, the whole deal...

Oh, one thing though...illegal immigrants, assylum seekers, all those people, they get better treatment than people who come here legally ( IE Free health and dental, they are allowed weekly government payments, everything a citizen is entitled to ) but me, coming here legally ?? what was I entitled to ?

NOTHING! I was not entitled to ANYTHING for 2 years...

But what can you do hey ?

[edit on 3-9-2010 by TheVoodooGamer]

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TheVoodooGamer

Wow you know it would have been easier to find a job first and be sponsered, right?( For skilled labor, or technical skilled workers) It's very easy to find work beforehand and get sponsored. Looks like Australia upholds it's laws, it's bussinesses care. That's good. In America it isn't about being PC That's escapist BS It's about how much more money these dicks can keep and how cheap they can get labor for. It's about greed pure and simple, don't try to make this about being PC that's a real load of crap!!! That's just an excuse they hide behind so American citizens will bend over and take it up the A&&.

On a sidenote, seriously considering dropping Verizon because I cannot even talk to someone I can freaking understand on the GD phone when I need technical help, those darn India/Pakastani people, I never know WTF they're saying!!!! This infuriates me... Anybody know any internet providers that are american and do not outsource their tech support calls?
[edit on 3-9-2010 by ldyserenity]

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

I'm sorry, but where do you live ?? I'm guessing Australia ?

Why don't you go and find a job in another country and find out for yourself how difficult it is to get sponsored for a job ?

It's easier just coming into a country ilegally than to go the legal way.

I don't have a degree etc. I had to pay my way come here.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by TheVoodooGamer

Well, no I am american. So you are not skilled that's what skilled would be with a degree. I am getting mine in order to immigrate if the economy doesn't change here. And on America's dime lol, HA America's great for something. But yeah I do know a little bit about their laws as I have known and talked to many Aussies over the years. Sorry to hear you don't have a degree, yeah that makes it very hard. But not impossible, it is still better to pay for the legal route, I mean even you did... or so you said in your post that you "Paid lots of money to go in the legal way". And anyone with half a brain knows that to do it otherwise is cheating the very system set up to protect you. Correct?
Also, easier doesn't make it right. How is it fair to you if they were to let others in that are not doing it the correct way? Well? How about those born on that soil, how do you think they'd feel about their government? Don't you think they'd be infuriated? Feel like they're being invaded?
I honestly feel like the Native Americans did all those years ago, I feel invaded, and on top of that raped by a government that is supposed to protect us, giving away our sovriegnity for some corporate douchebags!

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I'm not au fait with the finer details of this situation, but I think it's great every time I see someone stepping up and fighting back.

People power.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
wow, and he doesnt even live in AZ lol.

thats one dedicated American. hats off to him.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I'm keeping very close tabs on this and I think everybody else should too. Here in PHX it's buzzing all over the radio.

I've heard a few reports and read some columns that are speculating gov. jan brewer may run for office solely on this immigration platform.

The general consensus out here is something along the lines of her being the second coming of an american revolution, and that SB1070 is the know all-be all-end all answer to our immigration problem that, "The obama administration doesn't want to address for fear of alienating the hispanic vote."

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by White Chocolate

being an arizona native, I am still concerned about the backlash that enforcement of this law may cause. I'm not sure I'm comfortable giving anybody on our law enforcement more power.

>snip

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I should have worded that differently. I have family that work for different law enforcement agencies around the state, and after talking with them it is clear SB1070 does not give them any extra power. According to them all that has changed is how they use it.

What concerns me is the one bad cop that treats someone poorly, only to find out they really are a citizen. This concern is shared among the people I know working for the police departments - that sb1070 is going to divide the community.

The hispanic community here feels this is going to lead to extremely unjust racial profiling. All it takes is one accusation, true or not, to get people up in arms. Then next thing you know we are shipping people in from L.A. again to help us protest...yeah.

With things like anchor baby laws, it is hard not to imagine how cracking down on immigration is going to split up families.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by White Chocolate

LEO are going to do what they always do. If adding a symbolic law, on top of ones that already exist, federal and otherwise, is going to somehow increase discrimination, there are deeper issues involved.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
From article:

The contribution from Timothy Mellon of Saratoga is the largest to Brewer's defense fund, which has amassed more than $3.6 million from 41,000 donors nationwide. Mellon could not immediately be reached for comment.

Reached for comment? I think a 1.5 million dollar comment is all that is needed to state the case that Arizona has every right to merely enforce federal law when the feds won't do it themselves. Mellon obviously feels pretty strong about this too.

The bills, obtained through a public records request by The Associated Press, are for work performed through June by Phoenix law firm Snell & Wilmer.

Snell & Wilmer, eh? Well I have a question for you Snell & Wilmer. What have YOU contributed to this defense fund other than your grubby paws raking in all that money? You ought to be donating your services for a reduced rate at a minimum for this cause, if not put an attorney on it for free. Ok, "pro bono" if we must talk in your terms.

Overall though, this just goes to show the sheer insanity of American politics today. The continual waste of huge sums of money despite the toughest economic times, and Americans suffering.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I believe that we ignore the fact that immigration was a large issue during the American Revolution. The colonists were well aware that European royalty used immigration to control the populace.
We also gloss over the fact that the common man, the patriot, first rose against his neighbors, the lawyers, the sheriffs and the judges who were robbing him blind. The Revolution resulted from the Crown protecting these theives, as well as their own profit.

top topics

join