It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your perfect government - What would it look like?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Youre perfect slavemaster. What would he look like? What colour skin would have have? Would he beat us everyday or just once a week? Would he delouse us? Allow us to read? Would he take all of our earnings or allow us to keep a little for personal items? Would he kill a runaway, or merely flog him?

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I'd have a government that enforced rule of law while creating a safety net of social benefits to prevent people from losing everything if a single misfortune such as cancer or natural disaster befell them.

There would be a universal healthcare along the lines of the systems found in France, Italy, San Marino, and Malta.

Education would be one of the top priorities as it is always a contributing factor in social ills.

I would form a tricameral legislature. The first house would be made up of 3 representatives from each regional area, the second house would be based on population distribution, and the final house would be a group of near lifetime appointees that are appointed by a triple election: first the people, then the first house, then the second house, with the people's vote having twice as much power as either house.

The executive branch would exercise control over diplomacy, except in cases of war and ratification of formal international treaties and would sign bills into law, the specifics over the particulars of vetoes and overriding them are a bit inane at the moment.

The judiciary would be nominated by public voted and approved by the executive and then passed on to the legislature.

The main goal of the government would be to foster the well being of people, protect the populace from exploitation from companies that are now more powerful than some nations, and to provide a safety net in case of random disasters. Infrastructure would also be provided.

This would also be an entirely secular government, with religious funds being examined rigorously and taxed in cases when they aren't being used in a directly charitable fashion (so pastors wouldn't be able to buy a $100,000 BMW without a tax issue coming up, but orphanages, maintenance, child athletics, soup kitchens etc would be tax free). All religious practice would be protected unless individual rights were forcibly constrained (abuse, human sacrifice, etc).

There would be a near absolute freedom of speech, the exceptions being: defamation, false advertisement, incitement to violence, and unnecessary incitement of public panic (yelling 'fire' in a crowded theater).

People would have a right to keep and bare arms to a reasonable standard. All purchases would have to go through a 3 day background check/cool off period, no exceptions for gun shows. No guns for convicted felons, probationary period on gun ownership for serious misdemeanors ($1000+ fine). Everyone purchasing a gun would also have to go through a week long gun safety training course for their first firearm and then a test every 2-5 years for renewal. There would also be a mandatory implication of certain features on guns such as a safety and nationally registered serial numbers.
Certain weapons would be illegal, such as grenades and grenade launches, mortars, certain sniper rifles (range), certain assault rifles etc. Though there would be channels to go through to obtain some restricted weapons as collectibles.

That's just a sampling...a large sampling

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
My idea of a perfect government?

Self government

I'd be King, absolute King over all that I came into this world with.

I'd be King, absolute King over all that I leave this world with.

As Sovereign I'd be merciful, forgiving myself of all my transgressions, and forgiving the transgressions of all other Monarchs I met.

As Sovereign I'd be benevolent, loving all that I beheld with my eyes.

As Sovereign, I'd be supremely wealthy, laying claim to all I beheld.

As Sovereign, I'd be supremely charitable, inviting all to share my wealth equally.

As Sovereign, I'd be infinitely wise, thus knowing I do not know all things, would consult and work diligently with other Kingdoms for our mutual benefit.

As Sovereign, I'd tolerate no subjects, Instead I would grant kingdoms to all who felt the desire to be subjects.

In fact, I already have this form of Government. And, I plan to keep it and grow it.

With love,

Your Brother

edit on 12-9-2010 by IAMIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I would prefer that regulations apply only to corporations. And that the only laws are ones to cover harm or loss. Not "what-if" pre-crime.

Originally posted by Misoir
I would prefer the federal government only do what is authorized in the US Constitution and this includes regulating trade (Sorry Libertarians!).

Why would this offend Libertarians? They're the closest thing to Constitutionalists any party has come.

edit on 15-9-2010 by mryanbrown because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

E) None of the above. As in no monopoly of violence. So I guess my ideal government would only exist in history books entitled 'a cautionary history of barbarism'.

Wrong thread perhaps. Maybe I should start one asking 'what would your favorite Mafia Don look like?' Or maybe 'whos your ideal slave owner?' Perhaps we could all state our cases for more or less collective beatings.

But again I choose none.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join