It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monster squid attacking, eating humans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Monster squid attacking, eating humans

www.datelinezero.com

This is an interesting story that offers a possible explanation for the limbs washing up on beaches around Washington and Vancouver. Large squid are allegedly devouring fish stocks, and also fishermen in coastal waters from Chile all the way up to Alaska.

This is the story being told by Express.co.uk, and also in a BBC Channel Five documentary, titled Nature Shock: Killer Squid.

Millions of killer giant squid are not only devouring vast amounts of fish they have even started attacking humans.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
en.wikipedia.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
9th severed foot found on Vancouver/Washington coast

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
It's a Humboldt Squid. It's a pretty aggressive creature, in how it interacts with food, threats, and whatever it doesn't recognize.

Everything about this squid says "watch out." Even the suckers are ringed with teeth.

There's a lot of fishing up around Washington and Vancouver. As the article suggests, could it be fishing boats are getting attacked and thus, as the detective stated, "it’s not unusual for bodies, torsos, legs and arms to wash ashore" around the area?

www.datelinezero.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I saw something recently about how the Humboldt squid were turning up more than previously along the southern California beaches...and I just went to check Wikipedia on Humboldt Squid which does say:

The Humboldt Squid (Dosidicus gigas), also known as Jumbo Squid, Jumbo Flying Squid, or Diablo Rojo (Spanish for Red Devil), is a large, predatory squid found in the waters of the Humboldt Current in the Eastern Pacific Ocean. They are most commonly found at depths of 200–700 metres (660–2,300 ft), from Tierra del Fuego to California. Recent findings suggest the range of this species is spreading north into the waters of Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, and Alaska.Though they usually prefer deep water, between 1,000 and 1,500 squid washed up on the Long Beach Peninsula in southwest Washington in the fall of 2004. They have also ventured into Puget Sound.

So, that does fit in with your severed-foot-origin theory. I loved that thread, by the way...

(Whoops, I see you already had the Wikipedia cued up. My bad...)

[edit on 2-9-2010 by nine-eyed-eel]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Oh man, this reminds me of an old horror movie I saw as a kid. I've no clue the title of the movie but it was about a squid or octopus attacking fishing boats. Literally gave me nightmares.

However, I find this to be very uncharacteristic and just plain weird scenario in real life. Why would the giant squid be attacking fishing boats?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Nice theory S&F
never heard of it ....cant really tell if its true
but totally plausible lol
might be a maniac who cut legs of peoples

but imagine if a creature from the nature
if cat fishs can grow up to a thousand pounds
than its possible
thats why im not confortable anymore swiming far from the beach

when i was 10 .. i didnt had that fear

[edit on 9/2/2010 by Ben81]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mother1138

Go to 1:30 and watch...it's small, but imagine the beak and tentacles of mature one. Holy poo poo...

www.kqed.org...

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by mother1138

Well, the squid thing is an interesting theory. But I dont know.

Just from a quick read of this article, www.datelinezero.com... that discusses only the feet and no squids, there are some interesting patterns going on.

Apparently, all the right feet found have been still in their shoes. All the left feet found were not. (Unless they are just not mentioning the shoes on the left feet, which would be odd.) Thats kind of an odd coincidence, that all the feet still wearing shoes would be the same foot. Also all the feet seem to be wearing sports shoes. Not deck shoes, or rubber boots.

I sort of suspect there is a human cause of all the feet washing up on shore. Unless squid really need left shoes for some reason.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
According to the wiki, they doubt the squid will have the strength to break heavy bone.

That's not to say it can't, but with all the bits and pieces of human being found, it would have to be a really big Humboldt Squid.

The thing that would make huge attacking squids scary is that you can't associate an emotion with them. It's a mass of angry tentacles and a beak going crazy. But it's not like a shark where you have a face to read.

Scary.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
sweet mother mercy!!!

I new they existed and were dangerous but I had no idea they had claimed so many victims!!

creepy! I'm scared of the ocean

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by nine-eyed-eel

So, that does fit in with your severed-foot-origin theory. I loved that thread, by the way...

Hey, thanks

I love it when (seemingly) different stories fit together like this. It's a heck of a lot of fun.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I have a plan forming...

If these squid are indeed developing into true people eaters, we can put them to work. We take a giant tanker, fill it with sea water, and then scoop up a bunch of these Humbolts. We steam the tanker to that cove in Japan where they slaughter the Dolphins and dump off the squid.

Instead of killing the Dolphins without fear, their task would be more "challenging". The video of the hunt would be more interesting too, watching the dudes in the boats being pulled overboard and attacked by the squid.

I am sure the flame game will begin over this post but I have to be honest, I like the idea

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
This story reminds me a lot of the book "The Beast" by Peter Benchley...the same guy who wrote "Jaws".

A man-eating calamari ??? Sounds like b.s. to me !

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Humans may be the ones over-harvesting the food source for these magnificent creatures of the sea. It's karma for all I care: Eat and be eaten. The natural order of things where the fittest survive. Brutal reality but true, nonetheless.

[edit on 2010-9-02 by pikypiky]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I wonder how tough their flesh and skin is. On some squids it looks very weak and soft, like a jellyfish. On others it looks hard, almost like a crab shell. Im wondering if one tried to eat you could you rip it in half, or at least mess it up really bad.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
OH NOES WE ARE BEING ATTACKED BY KRAKENS!

If the usually prefer deep water, but have been showing up in more shallow waters (and angrily attacking everything), there has to be a reason.

My conspiracy theory is that the underwater ultra low frequency sonar system the navy uses is causing discomfort and tension in the sea animals, making them unpredictable (like the stories of dolphins intentionally beaching themselves).

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Why are they emigrating up north ?

Has something disturbed their home or they lacking a source of food ? If the latter then where has their food gone ?

Alot of questions surrounding these squids that need answering

new topics

top topics

join