It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keeping a car running after Nuke/EMP situation.(Help!)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Here's a comment: if you have the only running car around where are you going to go? How would you know you are escaping to a better place? Who is to say that people won't be blocking the roads with road blocks ready to shoot at people to get a car or truck? It probably would be a total break down of social norms. Driving around in a car would be creating a moving target out of yourself. Drive at night in the dark I guess.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

Dogs and bikes would certainly factor in to the equation as I have some of both.
I don't quite agree with folks saying whats the point of having a working car after a nuke atttack-Because If you did,it could get you outta the radiation zone fast(if you survive the initial blast).

Course it wouldn't be fast if you tried what I postulated-to replace all the EMP sensitive parts...I have since found out from folks here that would take ages to accomplish on a modern petrol/gas car.

What you need is a garage size faraday cage I guess!
Then your car survives.
But I was also wondering about a solar mega flare event,which could technically create vast EMP waves.
A car could still be useful for a short while maybe,just to get you out of the city possibly.

Good replies and info folks,good links too thanks.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by frugal

Post attack you drive IMMEDIATELY to your retreat location, before the military has time to set up road blocks and before most traffic of the refugees begins. Your retreat should be at least 300 miles from a large population center (you need to be beyond the driving distance of 1 tank of gas).

Your retreat could be anything from a simple & remote creek side camping site to a full blown multi-family compound.

If you aren't driving anywhere and your home is your retreat, then I guess you won't need transportation. Just lots of food, supplies, barter items and lots of ammo to defend yourself from looters.

[edit on 2-9-2010 by harrytuttle]

<< 1  2   >>

join