It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restoring Honor and Our Higher Selves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Restoring Honor and Our Higher Selves

www.americanthinker.com

In his Fox News interview after his "Restoring Honor" rally, Glenn Beck said in his speech that he challenged Americans to "Be your highest self!" Glenn's words really struck a chord with me. I am repulsed by liberalism because it appeals to our lower self.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I'd like to put in a good word for Mr. Beck. He is asking people to be the "Best Version of Themselves". A lot of people nowadays have 3 or 4 "versions" of themselves" that they use whenever "that"version" is needed in this "situation". He is swimming upstream with his morals and honor, trying to get some of the Good old American Spirit Back. Christianity is not an endangered way of life! This used to be an honorable country . It had a solid moral foundation. You could usually trust folks on their word or their handshake. I was born in 1962 and I grew up knowing that this country is special and is/was the best.

Christianity is not an endangered way of life!
Dr. Alveda King MLK's niece stood with him and stated
"that America will pray and that God will forgive us our sins and revive our land."
www.americanthinker.com

[edit on 3182010 by Starbug3MY]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Starbug3MY

I am repulsed by liberalism because it appeals to our lower self.

And I'm repulsed by hyperbole, over generalization and foolish paintings with a broad brush.

Conservatives don't have an exclusivity on morals, honor, patriotism, or Christianity.
I know Mr. Beck thinks so but Mr. Beck is a fool. And those that believe his drivel are even bigger fools because at least Mr. Beck is knocking down some serious $$$.

Where is Mr. Becks honor in declaring a jihad on liberals or anyone else that disagrees with him. Where is there honor in dividing America because that is what Mr. Beck is trying to do!

[edit on 1-9-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
See, the thing about honor is that it is non-specific and relative. What one person find honorable another rightfully can find objectionable. As a made-up example, let's say Glen Beck truly believes that Obama is actively trying to destroy the country because he's a reptilian with an agenda. So Beck decides to fabricate a lie to discredit Obama. Beck would undoubtedly feel that his actions were honorable.

Instead of waving arms around speaking about lofty ideals and feel-good slogans, how about we get to the nitty-gritty? How about we get back to accountability --- both on a personal and collective level? How about people take personal ownership of the things they do and say? Many of the things that have befallen us over the last several years ar becasue people acted without accountability. They did and said whatever they felt knowing that there could be no repercussions, no liability for the outcome. Change that and you can change the world.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
See, the thing about honor is that it is non-specific and relative. What one person find honorable another rightfully can find objectionable. As a made-up example, let's say Glen Beck truly believes that Obama is actively trying to destroy the country because he's a reptilian with an agenda. So Beck decides to fabricate a lie to discredit Obama. Beck would undoubtedly feel that his actions were honorable.

But he would be wrong.

Lying for prudence's sake ("the ends justify the means") is not and has never been considered honorable behavior, no matter how important the ends are. Honor is not in fact relative.

It's hard to see this because true honor is so rare these days, regardless of one's politics. In fact, both sides have for so long had a "the other side is so dangerous that we must beat them at all costs" mentality that American political discourse has become, to quote Lewis Black, "a bowl of # looking in the mirror at itself".

And no, Glenn Beck is not a paragon of honor and most certainly does not have a monopoly on it. And I'm certainly not about to claim it for myself.

But I suspect it has always been a rare virtue, even in the "good ole days". Only in the past, it had been regarded as an ideal, something to strive for. These days, it's regarded as antiquated and anybody who talks about it is regarded as at best stupid and naïve and at worst a pompous hypocrite.

[edit on 1-9-2010 by NewlyAwakened]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Glen Beck calling for honor and our higher selves rings a bit hollow after seeing this transparent pandering video.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Glen Beck calling for honor and our higher selves rings a bit hollow after seeing this transparent pandering video.

www.youtube.com...

it was a photoshoot for a magazine....they wanted him to have a photo with him crying....sorry if he can't cry on demand.....

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starbug3MY

I'd like to put in a good word for Mr. Beck. He is asking people to be the "Best Version of Themselves". A lot of people nowadays have 3 or 4 "versions" of themselves" that they use whenever "that"version" is needed in this "situation". He is swimming upstream with his morals and honor, trying to get some of the Good old American Spirit Back. Christianity is not an endangered way of life! This used to be an honorable country . It had a solid moral foundation. You could usually trust folks on their word or their handshake. I was born in 1962 and I grew up knowing that this country is special and is/was the best.

Christianity is not an endangered way of life!
Dr. Alveda King MLK's niece stood with him and stated
"that America will pray and that God will forgive us our sins and revive our land."
www.americanthinker.com

[edit on 3182010 by Starbug3MY]

I only hope enough people do wake up and perhaps change the course we are on...

Thank you for the post....

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

keep reaching there man, just be careful you dont fall off the ladder......

Seriously, the message he presented was good, what Beck is trying to do is GOOD, I dont care what you think his motivations for it are......

The message is good, and what is happening is good........there is nothing bad about trying to restore honor and peoples sense of HIGHER SELF....

You guys always talk about how things like this needs to be done, but when its not done by someone you like, then all the sudden its a BAD thing....

Just like was said earlier, no one has a monopoly on honor.......same thing goes for you WHAAA and all the liberal left.......

You dont have a monopoly on doing good, it can come from ANYWHERE

Atleast have the testicular fortitude to give credit where credit is due.......

Or does that violate every political line you are towing?

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by tspark

it was a photoshoot for a magazine....they wanted him to have a photo with him crying....sorry if he can't cry on demand.....

Then what is the purpose of crying fake tears even in a photo shoot.
Wait....I think I know....To lure in the gullible and convince them of his sincerity.
I could respect Mr. Beck much more with an honorable, straight forward approach. The drama is just silly! But it works well on the undiscerning mind.

It didn't work on this old cowboy. Glen is all hat, no cattle!

[edit on 1-9-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Wow do you purposely just decide not to see the obvious in front of your face, or do you do it just to incite people?

The photos were for a magazine, because people are always making fun of him crying........

Its called self deprecating humor..........

[edit on 1-9-2010 by ManBehindTheMask]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Some of us never lost our honor and do not need Glenn Beck to remind us.

Unfortunately, the American citizens would rather watch American Idol, than know America.

Some of us live to a higher degree and expect others to do so as well.

Unfortunately, the American citizens would rather watch Big Brother, than know America.

Some of us have honor no matter what and only change tactics as necessary.

Unfortunately, the American citizens would rather watch Survivor, than know America.

Some of us wish there was ever any honor within the halls of Congress.

Some of us wish there was ever any honor within the House of Representatives.

Some of us wish there was ever any honor at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave irregardless of who is elected as President of our nation, and that we were actually represented.

But unfortunately, the lobbyists, special interest groups, and Secret Societies have stolen our country from us, and dishonor America completely.

Some of us see this as Glenn Beck merely and tepidly sticking his toe into the deep end of the pool to check his image, in case he decides to run for President.

Some of us will have honor and live to our higher selves, no matter what.

[edit on 1-9-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Ya gotta give this lady some respect! Her name is Tamika Mallory,who spoke at Al Sharpton's rally...Her inspiring words included,"Put down your guns and pull up your pants!"

She starts at 2:05:35,if you'd like to listen.

www.c-spanvideo.org...

new topics

top topics

join