It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Rover Opportunity's weird events, lumber found on mars and a distant possible monolith like st

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
looks like petrified wood to me. They say a picture is worth a thousand words wonder what those 1000 words were to the person that released this photo.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

It is highly doubtful that any wooden "trees", as we would recognize them, ever evolved on Mars. Likely the planet's environment was only suitable for very, very simple forms of life (if at all) before it became too harsh. AND, that would have been billions of years ago.

If you don't mind I would like to now you thoughts on the Hale crater, since you believe only simple life forms could be supported on Mars.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   

in other words, you give 100% credibility to all the information provided to you?
not saying you are incorrect, i just find it fascinating to let the mind wander, considering possibilities.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Tribble

I seriously hope you are joking?

If you don't mind I would like to now you thoughts on the Hale crater...

...because, you linked to the "mars anomaly research" site.

Ummm...the person that runs that site is either completely delusional, and off his rocker (not playing with a full deck, if you know what I mean), OR, having a go at people, and doing that junk on his site to have a laugh.

So, he's either crazy, or devilishly impish and evil. Never met, nor interacted with the person, so I have no idea which is the actual case.

BTW....the "Hale crater civilization"??? Nothing there, but visual artifacts (pixels) when the image has been manipulated to the extreme. AND, pixels tend to look rather regular, and "square".

I wonder if this person at that "anomaly research" site is related to, or the same guy as this?:

I mean --- if THAT guy on YouTube is serious, and actually believes what he writes and "shows" in his videos, then he qualifies for a special category of crazy, IMO. Fruitcake status!!

So, either HE is nuts, or evil and a prankster. Can't tell for sure.....

(Check out his other videos, if you have a mind to. Share with your friends. It'd be an interesting psychological study, if you know of any mental health professionals to watch, and speculate...)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, now I am being a bit impish, can't resist one more from that YouTuber....he even introduces himself, with his real name (apparently) at the end!!!

But, the tragic thing is, he doesn't seem to realize the technical specifications, and design of the Mars Rovers....the camera is mounted ON the Rover, so it cannot take a photo of itself!! :shk:

He is likely mistaking a photo of a duplicate prototype Rover, taken on Earth!!

(I cannot help but feel a little compassion for him, even as I giggle at his madness...I just saw the movie Dinner for Schmucks. Were there to be a real such dinner event, then this person would surely qualify for mockery. Not that it should be condoned, of course....):

[edit on 30 August 2010 by weedwhacker]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

That site was on top of the search- that's all

Oh these are hilarious- 1st video was plain insanity. lol

The 2nd video was so sad, I wonder how many tiny martins we have ran over? No wonder they are trying to disable our MASSIVE rolling destructive killing machine, with their tiny hands! (apparently they don't have weapons yet)

As I was waiting your reply I went to ESA's site and got the black and white pic of the Hale crater, zoomed in and nada! All of those checkerboards and patterns were missing. They only show up in the color pics. I understand there are a hundred reasons for that, but why it is only in this crater? That is really what I was going after when I asked your views.

I will watch Smuck's today, TY for reminding me about it LOL

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

as soon as I saw 'tiny extra-terrestrial humans' I knew exactly what vids you were referring to. I remember thinking that I must be having a psychotic break or something when I first watched them. That guy appears to be so far beyond delusional that I have a hard time believing the seriousness of any of the vids or his statements.

To nobody in particular:

One thing i do have to question though is some peoples adamant assertion that it would not be possible for large multi-cellular organisms to have evolved on Mars in the time period before it became too inhospitable for said life. The only thing I know for sure is that in the grand scheme of things we puny little bags of mostly water no next to nothing about life and the universe.

It seems to me that evolution is a mechanism that is mostly lazy (doing the minimum required for survival) but occasionally when conditions require it extremely industrious. I have no problem with the idea that complex, even intelligent life could evolve on mars and die out again while we here on earth were barely out of the sea.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Whats with the dark line that intersects the "rock" at a 90 deg angle and seems to go around the crater? Looks geometric like a pentagon or hex or something.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by type0civ

Hope you get an answer I did not?
good luck

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by spookfish

Well....as to any speculative questions about how long conditions on Mars may have been suitable for life similar to what we know (IE, 'terrestrial') are merely conjecture.

Of course, best way to get more definite answers will require actual visits, by Human scientists and researchers. Probably won't live to see it, myself.

However, it's been suggested, and I tend to go with the opinions of those who do this for a career, that the denser atmosphere, and thus, the ability for water to remain liquid on the surface, went away, on Mars, VERY early in its history....it may have only been "viable" for complex lifeforms for about a billion years, or so...that leaves ~three billion, give or take, as a 'dead" planet.

It is a simple matter to compare, since we LIVE here, and can study at leisure, the inferred history of life's development, and time scales, to apply to Mars' possible timeframe, and similar development (if any).

I've forgotten the exact numbers, but there seems to be a consensus that life on Earth was very, very simple for a very long time...single-celled organisms, maybe very small collectives....but, certainly, nothing of the sort we see everywhaere around us, today.

We don't know what factors determine this, of course. Largely, was the fact that Earth's atmosphere, for billions of years, did NOT have a lot of oxygen. Not sure IF other organisms thrived in the gases that were present then...well, obviously, SOME did, or else we wouldn't be here discusisng it!!

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I took a screen shot of the "glowing/shiny" thing in the upper left corner. NASA says heat shield but I say BS. I'm new so I don't know how to embed images but here's a link to what I saw that made me a little skeptical. You may have to zoom in in an image editing program. I used PS CS4 @ 493.75%

www.willtesta.com...

If you don't feel like opening the image, just hold ctrl and hit the plus sign 8 times.

Your thoughts please...

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
However, it's been suggested, and I tend to go with the opinions of those who do this for a career, that the denser atmosphere, and thus, the ability for water to remain liquid on the surface, went away, on Mars, VERY early in its history....it may have only been "viable" for complex lifeforms for about a billion years, or so...that leaves ~three billion, give or take, as a 'dead" planet.

I wouldn't call Mars a dead planet, that seems to be the new term for it from some young, silly smiling, scientist I saw on TV not long ago. British physicist Brian Cox

Sure terrestrially it may seem lifeless, but underneath the crust there could be life, it's possible the volcanoes on Mars are still active and it's possible liquid water would be near these hot spots. 2004 article: www.universetoday.com...

Bacteria growth amid the extreme conditions in northern Argentina's Lake Diamante bodes well for the possibility of life on Mars, according to a new report. newsfeed.time.com...

Water had 3 billion years to soak in, who knows, there could still be oceans of water under all that dust....

August 20, 2010 Will Mud Volcanoes Reveal Life on Mars
www.foxnews.com...

I wouldn't call it a Dead Planet yet..

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Even if there were structures on Mars and there were entire colonies there, we would never see them. None of the pictures from NASA have anything strange in them because if they don't want us to know something they won't let us see it. If I was hiding something I wouldn't post pictures of it on my Facebook, it's a similar deal... even if there was some crazy stuff going on on Mars, ROV pictures would never show it. We will never see it unless we go there ourselves.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacekc929
even if there was some crazy stuff going on on Mars, ROV pictures would never show it. We will never see it unless we go there ourselves.

Or, on the other hand, we'd see it plastered on every news outlet in the world, because overnight NASA's budget would expand 1,000 times and the scientists working there would have statutes built to them.

The deal with Mars is that it is interesting, but interesting mostly to nerdy geologists. Compared to dead, dry, cold, boring Mars, a squirrel gathering nuts in a local park is a million times more interesting. Go check it out.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join