It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thank GOD this stupid school policy is coming to an end.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I can't believe something this stupid was still going on in this day and age.

A Small Victory for Colorblindness

For over 30 years the middle school in Nettleton, Mississippi, had classified students who wished to run in student elections by race. One year particular offices, such as class president, were reserved for white students; the next year they were opened only to blacks. This policy was implemented, said the school district, in response to a court order, likely involving a desegregation case.

The intent of the policy was to ensure that blacks were elected to student offices. The assumption was that white students would not vote in sufficient numbers for black students, and with whites the overwhelming majority in the district, blacks would never be elected. By setting aside certain offices each year for black students, some were guaranteed to hold office regardless of their popularity among fellow students.

The New American

The insane policy went on for years with little controvercy until a mixed race student was told she couldn't run for an office because that office was reserved for a black student that year. The student is half white and half native American.

Of course, she raised a fuss but, the MSM didn't kick in their two cents worth until it was discovered that the office of president was reserved for a white this year.

Then they raised HOLY HELL against the policy; How dare they deny a black the opportunity to become president.

Early news reports, with such headlines as “Want to Be Class President? Not If You’re Black in This School” (MSNBC), “Miss. Middle School Bars Black Students From Running for Class President” (ABC News), and (after a change in policy on August 27) “Free at Last — Black Kids Can Now Run for President at Deep South School” (Newsweek), focused on the exclusion of blacks and played on stereotypes of the South, rarely mentioning the alternating-race policy.

Didn't even care about the mixed race girl who brought it up in the first place.

Well anyway, after all of the bad publicity, the school finally decided to join the 21st century and brought that horrible policy to an end.

The good news is that as a result of the attention Springer’s case brought to the school’s policy, the district announced in an August 27 statement that “beginning immediately, student elections at Nettleton School District will no longer have a classification of ethnicity. It is our intent that each student has equal opportunity to seek election for any student office.” The school board voted unanimously to adopt this policy.

Before you bash the racists who created this policy, remember this; the policy was actually enacted to COMBAT racism.

People do some really STUPID things in the name of racial equality, especially when they're politicians.

[edit on 8/28/10 by FortAnthem]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I think all schools need a real change, They really are messin up are kids,

In England in 1989 History, The basically taught us That England handed over America in a nice way, And humans thought the world was flat ect

In Religious education they taught us god created the earth in 7 days 6000 years ago

The in science they taught us it was a big bang millions af years ago,

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
In a school with a majority of black students do white students get elected president? I highly doubt it... are you going to question why that is as well? I've been out of high school for quite a few years and I'm glad that when I went to my old HS I didn't have police patroling it or had to walk through a metal detector everyday to feel safe.....

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I thought this part of the article was pretty interesting; According to that school district, Obama is NOT the 1st black American president:

Where does such a child — or any of Springer’s other children, all of whom are mixed-race — fall in the school’s binary racial classification system? Springer said the school board told her they “go by the mother’s race because with minorities the father isn’t generally in the home.” Thus, with Springer being white, her daughter was classified as white and prohibited from running for class reporter.

Same Source

Under that school's old rules, Obama would probably find it impossible to be elected president.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

This story was posted yesterday : FortAnthem

Want to be class president ? Not if you`re black, in one Miss. school

A bit of as crazy story , in this day and age.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Actually!

Warren G. Harding was rumored to have black ancestors. This is one old conspiracy that refuses to die.
www.nytimes.com...

Either way, it was a silly policy. As for this:

In a school with a majority of black students do white students get elected president?

Yep, it happens. I went to a mostly white school and most of the student governing body was Hispanic and Asian.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

That's funny because Harding is rumored to have been initiated into the KKK while president and INSIDE the White House:

According to historian Wyn Wade, as early as 1921, just as a congressional investigation of the KKK’s violent and racist activities was being carried out , the Klan had already eaten its way into the ultimate seat of U.S. power. President Warren G. Harding agreed to be sworn in as a member of the Ku Klux Klan. Accordingly, a five man Klan team, presided over by Simmons, conducted the initiation in the Green Room of the White House.

Source

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Maybe he was overcompensating? The rumors were viscous. it really doesn't make much sense as he would later make a speech in which he told white people they should allow blacks equal voting rights.

top topics

join