It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Song from the land down under.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I was surfing the interwebz... I ran in to a song which was a hit in another version a long time ago.
I need to say is was an audition on Australia's got talent, but don't let that scare you off...

I really, really, really like it.

Here you go. Enjoy !

What do think ? Did this guy win ? Does he have an album ?

Kind regards

~ Sinter

(Edit to fix link.)

[edit on 8/28/2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Thanks Sinter for that, I really like that version. It's a bit Xavier Rudd-ish.
Great song to cover too, has a relevance to me as I am in Brussels atm, not too sure about the muscles though.

It is a bit short and cut down, wish it was a full version.

Still nice to see something good from back home.

[edit on 29-8-2010 by pazcat]

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

Haha finaly !

I'm glad you liked. It is so short because it was for an audition.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Nice guitar playing, I didn't like his voice too much though, any video that lets me look at Danni Minogue gets several thumbs up though

I love the original song and spent many many lost days of my life drunkenly singing along to it in the numerous Australian bars here in London.

Did you see that Men at work recently get sued for allegedly stealing the flute part of the song from "Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree"

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Danni Minogue.... Sweeet !

Yeay I heard. The melody was from a children's song and some old company owned the rights. I thought it was ridiculous. How did it end ?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Theres a wiki article here it seems that "men at work" lost the case and have to pay royalties to the company that owns the childrens song, looks like it might cost the quite a bit of money.

I didn't even realize that the singer in "men at work" isn't even Australian he's Scottish, which is funny seeings as it's almost become Australia's unofficial national anthem

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Scottish ! Well... unexpected to say the least. The original writer is dead. The rights should be public and I think it is criminal. Every single employee should cut off their pinky.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Nice.
I like his guitar playing - Although for me his voice doesn't quite make it compared to the original.
For old times sake, perhaps:

Originally posted by pazcat
has a relevance to me as I am in Brussels atm, not too sure about the muscles though.

Ah! Welcome and have a nice stay, whatever purpose you have. Just don't forget to spend some time in Antwerp as well - I'd say that's a must. You have the Queen of Cities just around your corner, can't leave her out the trip

Enjoy.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Thank you for this, one of my favorite songs from men at work. Brought back memories.
Like the mellow version too.

[edit on 31-8-2010 by Unity_99]

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
The bad - that this travesty of a court case succeeded. Larrikin Music STINKS. I look for that label whenever I buy music (and Festival Records, who now own them) and avoid them like the plague.

The GOOD - that song is an absolute winner - I just love the original - it's in my top ten of all time.

I quite like the version posted in the OP, and yes, it's very Xavier Rudd-ish - but to me, Land Down Under needs Colin Hay's vocals - did you know he has done an unpiugged version too? But I can't find a good version of it on YT, just mangled ones.. So how about this:

(audio only) If you like that, you'll love his solo albums - my favorite is Hills & Valleys - Colin has created some brilliant music apart from MAW - he does some incredibly good ballads, is great on the guitar, and has wit and humour to go with it. The guy's a genius - if you get a chance to see him live, do it.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Here ya go - not the greatest recording quality:

And here's a version showing his sense of humour, lengthy but funny intro - the song is a bit more 'strident'..

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by CHRLZ

Thank you.

I'm not even Australian and I absolutely love the song.
I hear he is a good singer. I never even heard of the guy, thanks for the vids.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Forgive me for thread hogging, but no discussion of Colin is complete without a bit of:

OverKill!!!

Added PS - Earlier I referred to my favorite album of his, but embarrassing called it Hills & Valleys... It's PEAKS & Valleys. Whoops! Anyway, highly recommended!!

edit on 14-9-2010 by CHRLZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I like it

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Nice one SK, the guys got passion and skills!
That song always takes me back to my youth and it is funny that I just recently realized the "vitamite sandwich" part that I always thought said "bite of my sandwich!"

spec

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
Nice one SK, the guys got passion and skills!
That song always takes me back to my youth and it is funny that I just recently realized the "vitamite sandwich" part that I always thought said "bite of my sandwich!"

spec

VEGEmite.. Once a national treasure for those who love bitter salty spreads on toast.. now, swallowed by a multinational behemoth, so i don't buy it any more. Promite for me... (tastes nicer anyway).

top topics

join