It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Makes Something Resonate?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
For the purpose of this thread we'll call this my theory. Also, do consider the question of the title asked from here on out because I do not wish to violate your free will.

I've been here for some time and I've ran across the phrase "that resonates with me" more times that I can remember. My question then became, what causes something to resonate with people? Now I've had some Oneness experiences and I do follow the idea we are One being, One consciousness, One "God", soley because of my own realizations.

All of the sudden it clicked for me. If we're One being, that's all we ever will be. Something that's happened thousands of the years in the past provokes a strong a sensation of being accurate because you were there. You were only One being. The same principle applies to the future if time is circular and not linear. You'll be there, and it's happened already.

You're essentially remembering not the experience itself in details, but what happened and what was right and wrong. Now here comes the other circumstance. Not everything resonates with people the same way. My conclusion for this has long been, not everyone is experiencing the same life. Sometimes we need to believe in things to gain an experience we wouldn't otherwise have had.

Take being religious for example. It may feel right for a long time and later down the road you realize it was completely false. Does that mean God was being mean to you or were you given the experience to know what it felt like and to help other people? You decide.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I look at the term "resonate" to be synonymous with "empathize". There are some base level truths which we can all relate to, in our own ways, regardless of our differences. Love, dealing with mortality, fear, pain... all things that we all experience and which we can all relate to on a very primal and base level.

In my way of thinking this can be explained as being part of the human condition and doesn't require any deeper explanation.

Either way, S&F for your thoughts and interpretations about what this all could mean.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Here are some of my own thoughts, to take or leave as you will.

A very clear and simple example of resonance can be imagined in 2D.

The circles that fit neatly inside of each other, despite being different sizes, are easily perceived as constituting a union, instead of being separate, discrete patterns.

If someone had drawn random circles all over the same image, however, we would tend to perceive them all as separate things.

When it comes to living beings, we are dealing with many dimensions. Many people tend to think we live in a 3D environment, but this is false. There are at least 4 dimensions when you include the movement of time since everything is not a single static 3D existence, and quantum physicists are being forced to consider that we exist in as many as 10 over-lapping dimensions simultaneously in order to explain all they are observing.

So when we speak of resonance in terms of people and ideas, we are not just talking about simple 2D or 3D wave resonance but also resonating patterns through spacetime, and even different possible timelines, etc. etc. If you wake up every week day morning to go to work, that is a resonance between you and your job that is demonstrated across time. You can't see it all at once but if you contemplate your actions through time the pattern emerges very naturally and clearly, and the statement "I am an employee" seems a very natural and common sense statement of union between yourself and your job, as one trivial example.

On a larger scale, Jungian archetypes also resonate. When groups of people need a leader, a leader will naturally arise from the need. When multiple conflicting leaders arise, warrior archetypes naturally arrive. When warrior archetypes arrive with conflict, peacemakers and healers are naturally demanded to balance them symmetrically. This is like going through the archetypal rainbow, where one group of energies will naturally trigger the next set of possible group of energies that may manifest, and all of these things "latch" onto each other through inter-dependent demands and relationships, a complex social, multi-dimensional resonance that can be superficially described as "human psychology," etc.

You can see that these "shapes" become quite complex when they are taken to a multi-dimensional level that applies across both space and time and human decisions, instead of just a simple 2D or 3D representation which is almost immediately comprehensible upon examination. People are not, but the fundamental principles in operation are the same.

The Flower of Life shown above is highly regarded for good reason. It's like a blueprint for how things are inter-connected in reality, all working from the same basic pattern, yet all can be seen as separate discrete parts simultaneously.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Haha I'm living in 4 dimensions so that's a little complicated to me, but what works, works. Just trying to think of ways to explain something to other people who would probably otherwise had never thought of something.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
What "makes" something resonate is probably first and foremost perception.

A Hindu might say everything in the universe is energy in resonance while Platonists seemed to think everything was made of tiny discrete building blocks.

A more profound truth might be that nothing is really moving at all.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
unified holography; i decline explanation.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by AquariusDescending

I agree that it's probably perception. Let me ask you this though, do you think the average person cares enough to try and comprehend these difficult explanations you're giving? Do you think they'll even read them?

Maybe people need something simple to start their journey?

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Ausar

Because it's too complicated and the average person doesn't want to hear it. If it's something I have to think that much about to comprehend, I'll deal with it in the next life haha.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
to my thinking the term 'Resonates' just means that the idea or event 'Agrees' with that persons worldview.

everything is subjective, especialy 'feelings'...

on a more intellectual level ---something that resonates with an individual can also be said to be in 'synchronicity' --[still a subjective 'feeling']

love, resonation, compatible frequency, sharing vibrations is all about realizing a shared mind/outlook/world view...

the melding of minds, the oneness one 'feels' is just a emotion ... a higher wishful thinking type of experience...useful but not something one should redirect their life goals around.
its like experiencing the holy-ghost, but for un-religious, un-zealous peoples

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jwest06
do you think the average person cares enough to try and comprehend these difficult explanations you're giving?

I just posted the kinds of thoughts I like exploring personally. I know they're not relevant to everyone and not everyone even cares to read them.

Maybe people need something simple to start their journey?

It's probably not what you're looking for but sometimes I think the best thing you can do for people is nothing. By bumbling around blindly through our personal problems we're eventually forced to realize something about them. Or else die and do it all over again. The old monks in Tibet and abroad, that just sit around in silence meditating all day, sometimes I think those people are doing more for us than anyone else, by doing nothing for us, except providing an example to have in the back of our minds. But I never had all the answers. I still don't know.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Music art and poetry resonate for most. Any intersection of two or more patterns where part of the information repeats is potentially resonant.

A resonance is usually used to describe one to many kinds of connections where there is no absolute single correlation.

How many people assign different meanings to song lyrics for example?

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

If something feels you with complete bliss, why is it not worth believing on faith alone? It's not like you can't spend your life searching for proof

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I can tune a guitar by Eye...
Anything that is tuned "like" something...to a fundimental or harmonic of the original vibration will "resonate" along with the original when in tune.

DNA will do this, it is a double 4D spring.
This is why the new agers and musicians always consider "Vibes"

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by AquariusDescending

I no longer experience personal problems. It's out of my range of perception. As far as not helping people, you're kind of right. You can put the truth right in front of them a hundred times and stare at them like "Durr", but until they realize it's the truth on their own, it's no good.

I found an answer to that. Someone told me I was using reverse psychology all day last week. I didn't know what reverse psychology and to be honest I still don't, nor do I care. I must have learnt it in a dream, either way, it's about provoking an answer from them where they have to think about what you're saying in a manner to reach a similar conclusion.

Using that, I've figured out two things that I can prove that should be universal.

Try this out by answering these questions (everyone else is welcome to particpate as well). At any point in your life have you ever said to or thought about the same gender that they looked nice, or have you wanted to look more like someone else? I know no one who can answer no to that. Answering yes means you're attracted to the same gender. Bisexual by definition, means you're attracted to both genders.

Therefore, there's no such thing as gay. Everyone is bisexual with a preference.

The second one is a little harder to do but equally valid. Would you agree that jealousy is a negative emotion and meant to be overcome? Can you think of any reason you need to feel jealousy? Assuming you answered yes and no, we're good.

Now, at any point in your life have you ever been or would you be capable of falling in love with two people at once? If that answer is yes, and you believe jealousy should be non-existent, there here's your conclusion.

Free love is accurate and the hippies were right

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Having studied music and playing several musical instruments my first thought was of sounds and how they resonate with each other.

There is something very thrilling and gives my soul a good feeling when I play music with my friends in a jam session.

When we are all in tune and blend together I am in another world.

You agree with someone or a group means to resonate.

May joy and peace resonate throughout our world.

I must be wrong concerning the word resonate because it seems like a very simple word to understand.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Picture two notes on a music scale. Depending on their distance apart is what defines their resonance or non-harmonic nature. If yo play two notes exactly the same pitch, they resonate together. This is the simplest explanation.

Take ascension: the act of rising or vibrating at a higher frequency.

What makes us resonate with others? two people, or a group of individuals are on the same wavelength, they have evolved to emit the same frequency and like music when they encounter each other, they resonate together. You know this when it happens.

When you become more intuitive, the same happens when you receive information that is true for you, it either resonates with you in your "knowingness" or which ever group of sense you use to interpret intuition.

The frequency can be receptacle by the senses and auric field; and emit from emotions/heart magnetic field.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Waves, typically of sound, although possibly light. Though where you have light you often have sound.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
How about this for a definition of "resonate": plain and simple, resonance is sympathetic vibrations. Sympathetic meaning "feels similar to"... which brings to mind harmonics. Things in harmony resonate together, increasing their presence, as they are all sympathetic to each other... they all have something in common even though they're of differing pitch.

When something is off-pitch (or key) it doesn't resonate well, does it? And people don't like it.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
an addendum to my prior post;

suction and induction is also a necessary component.

i decline explanation.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Maybe I took it too far lol. I wasn't asking for what it means to resonate, I was asking what's behind it? Maybe I should have came up with a better title haha.

new topics

top topics

join