It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada's airforce at it's best?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 11:47 PM
link   
maybe they were french canadian pilots. hey you never know about those french pansies. dont matter which hemisphere they are in french people will always be stuck up cowards.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 11:50 PM
link   
that's not inviting flame war...

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Otts
Actually... the White House was burned in 1814 (as retribution for the invasion of Canada in 1812, and although part of the troops who stormed Washington were Canadians, a good part were also British regiments taken from Spain and Portugal where they were no longer needed in the war against Napoleon (who had abdicated and taken the road to Elba in March of that year).

Isn't it a little revisionist to call those from north of the St Laurence Canadians in 1814? I mean, it would be another half-century before you guys even had a semblance of independence. I was always under the impression they were Brits living in the British colony of Canada (lower Canada/upper Canada whichever it was), and not Canadians as we would say today. And I'm pretty sure the war effort was funded from London.

Maybe it's different in Canuck history, but many, if not most living in the American colonies prior to the Revolution still called themselves Englishmen.

I don't know, I might be wrong.

And I always wondered, what is considered the date of independence from the Motherland, 1867, 1982, or some year in between?

[edit on 25-6-2004 by Eastern_Diamondback]

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Viendin
lol, I've heard that if you give us Canadians a couple of flats worth of 24's we'll be happily on our way - thing about that is, we drink our beer. Not your crappy 'Budweiser', our blessed Blue and Canadian. You give me 'Old Milwaukee', and the last word of that song changes from 'beer' to 'queer'.

Let's hear it for Multiculturalism! For Free Health Care! For Logical Love Of Life! For Canada!

Is multiculturalism necessarily a good thing? I've yet to see an unassimilating multicultural nation last. You guys should know: How close was the Quebec secession vote?

I've always thought international diversity isn't bad; intranational diversity isn't good. I liken it to restaurants. Sure, you could have diversity of food by having every restaurant serve every type of food: Chinese, Indian, Italian, French, Greek, Mexican, etc. but you'll find better food at one that serves one.

I will concede one thing, I'd take Labatt over Budweiser any day of the week.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Worked with Canadian Air Force personnel during East Timor back in '99, and found them to be very professional and excellent people. Have worked with a few air forces and they were amongst the most professional.

They, like Australia and New Zealand suffer from lack of funding and a real threat as such. Terrorism is a threat but hard to justify huge spending when education and health systems need money as well.

Defence is only popular when a valid threat appears in these countries, many see a defence force armed to the teeth but doing nothing as a waste of money. When called to arms Canadians, will i am sure be side by side with the rest of the western world.

Canada, Australia and New Zealand don't have the funds nor resources to fight every battle that the UN, NATO or the US would like us too. We need to choose our battles, offer our support when possible and do the best that we can. Canada is in Afghanistan, Australia is in Iraq along with New Zealand - small efforts maybe, but huge commitments for small nations.

On camoflauge, well not every country has a desert in it, so why outfit its personnel that way? Italy, Poland, Korea, Japan and Spain were/are all in Iraq in greens.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eastern_Diamondback
And I always wondered, what is considered the date of independence from the Motherland, 1867, 1982, or some year in between?
[edit on 25-6-2004 by Eastern_Diamondback]

You nailed both dates. Canada became a nation on July 1st, 1867, but remained a "Dominion", part of the British Commonwealth until we ratified our constitution in 1982. Well done.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I've worked for the USAF off and on as both active duty and civillian for close to 20 years now. There are always incidents and accidents involving high performance jets. I was stationed at George AFB, CA for 4 years in the 80's working on F-4 Phantoms. We had 5 flying squadrons and lost on average around 2 jets a year, and this was considered as typical. It would be interesting to see what caused the crash. Plenty of accidents are usually human induced. Others can be as simple as the jet ingesting a bird or two. I doubt that there is really anthing to be concerned with in either case.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   
By the way--I once spent the better part of an afternoon looking around the desert in New Mexico for a bunch of 25 pound practice bombs that some "butter bar" (Lt.) accidently dropped.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 10:08 PM
link   
try living on ice all year round. polar bears roaming the streets. right now i'm enjoying the great annual toronto midsummer's seal hunt. this is one of the few events still open to lovers of wild game/ice/baseball bat sports.

you know, due to strict canadian gun laws, canadians have to kill each other with their bare hands! if living in canada doesn't toughen you up, you're tough already.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by billybob
try living on ice all year round. polar bears roaming the streets. right now i'm enjoying the great annual toronto midsummer's seal hunt. this is one of the few events still open to lovers of wild game/ice/baseball bat sports.

You ain't going to be saying that this time next month when it's 35C, with humidity and a smog alert.

<< 1   >>

join