It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children abused, killed as witches in Nigeria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Children abused, killed as witches in Nigeria

edition.cnn.com

Akwa Ibom state, Nigeria (CNN) -- Just after midnight, the pastor seized a woman's forehead with his large hand and she fell screaming and writhing on the ground. "Fire! Fire! Fire!" shouted the worshippers, raising their hands in the air.

Pastor Celestine Effiong's congregants are being delivered from what they firmly believe to be witchcraft. And in the darkness of the city and the villages beyond, similar shouts and screams echo from makeshift church to makeshift church.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
These pastors from makeshift Churches in Nigeria claim illness and poverty are caused by witches who bring terrible misfortune to those around them and the only way to solve it, they must be cleansed through deliverance or cast out.

Witches and wizards, they started getting afraid. I never gave them rest. - Pastor Helen Ukpabio

This story is not from 100 or 200 yrs ago but these events are happening sometimes on daily basis by these pastors in guise of spreading their religion. It definitely sounds like some occult tale from 16th century.

What happens when a Pastor accuses someone of being a witch?

"When a child is accused of being a witch -- that child is hated absolutely by everybody surrounding him so such children are sent out of the home... But unfortunately such children do not always live long. A lot of them, they're either killed, abandoned by the parents, tortured in the church or trafficked out of the city."

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Sheol

This is just one more good reason that christianity should never be taught to children . What an appalling story the bibles are long past due for the shredder they bring about very little except misery and delusion.

Maybe there is a valid reason for atheism to become some sort of religion and gain the tax breaks afforded to the churches and ministers, so that poor ignorant people (the primary target of many churches) can be taught reason and critical thinking.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by The Djin

Witches and goblins are rooted in fear, ignorance and superstition. Somebody who is fearful, ignorant and superstitious may one day stumble across a bible or some other religious book and use it to justify their fears. That same person could very well stumble across a Harry Potter or Ted Dekker book and use it in the same way.

I know it's fun and hip and whatever to bash christianity whenever remotely possible but nobody ever had to be christian to harm another human being for phantom reasons.

If it wasnt a 'pastor' with a 'bible' it would have been a 'medicine man' with a 'stick.'

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

If it wasnt a 'pastor' with a 'bible' it would have been a 'medicine man' with a 'stick.'

Funny how it wasn't a medicine man with a stick at Salem either, but of course those societies eventually succumbed to the voice of reason which put a stop to them acting upon their book of jujju.

Hey let's go save the people in Africa and teach them all about wizardry and demons.

Indeed I will bash (condemn) christianity whenever remotely possible no different than I would bash (condemn) Isalm both are equally as wicked.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Just be consistent with your hatred that's all I ask.

KANO, 5 August (IRIN) - Nigerian police said on Thursday they had arrested 30 witch doctors on suspicion of carrying out human sacrifices after finding 50 mutilated bodies and 20 skulls in an area of thick bush known to local people as the "Evil Forest."Source

Monday, August 23, 2010 - 17:31

Another brutal killing of a innocent child because she is born a albino. Swaziland has been targeted by ritual killing of Albino's for witchcraft. The witchdoctors claim that albino's blood and body parts makes special potent muti. Even though the possession and trade of human body parts are illegal it does not deter these barbarians.Source

Christianity and those who claim christian status dont have a monopoly on insanity.

[edit on 26-8-2010 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Just be consistent with your hatred that's all I ask.

KANO, 5 August (IRIN) - Nigerian police said on Thursday they had arrested 30 witch doctors on suspicion of carrying out human sacrifices after finding 50 mutilated bodies and 20 skulls in an area of thick bush known to local people as the "Evil Forest."Source

Hey don't take it personal dude, I share the same repugnance for witch doctor type superstition as I do christianity.

I don't hate people though dude so hold back on the ad hom attack please.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Regardless of one's personal beliefs on the matter, the reasoning behind this issue is clear enough:

Those denounced as witches must be cleansed through deliverance or cast out, say the pastors -- many of whom charge between $300 and $2,000 for their services.

cnn.com

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
[edit on 8-26-2010 by rogerstigers]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
This has been going on a LONG time.

What's really wild is if you look up the Helen upabio video about child witches- it was on youtube, let me find it.

Her films are linked with the start of the hysteria. It's really insane crazy stuff.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Although I can appreciate the ways of the old
this whole which thing,. has got to be brought to the 21st century
killing an 11 year old girl just because someone believes she is a witch is
so 100 years ago,.
come on already

top topics

join