It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Government's New Right to Track Your Every Move With GPS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Yahoo! News - The Government's New Right to Track Your Every Move With GPS (from TIME)

By ADAM COHEN Adam Cohen – Wed Aug 25, 7:05 pm ET Government agents can sneak onto your property in the middle of the night, put a GPS device on the bottom of your car and keep track of everywhere you go. This doesn't violate your Fourth Amendment rights, because you do not have any reasonable expectation of privacy in your own driveway - and no reasonable expectation that the government isn't tracking your movements. That is the bizarre - and scary - rule that now applies in California and eight other Western states.

I never thought I would see something this appalling in my lifetime, then again the last 5 years have been a real eye opener into just how corrupt most governments have gotten.

I just love how one of the judges on the panel for this case is basically saying the rich have more right to privacy than that of normal people, because they can afford to fence their property... I guess the government really are a bunch of thugs, they even recommend you fence yourself off to protect yourself from the likes of... them? Hilarious!

Oh well, as Princess Leia famously said, "The more you tighten your grip the more will slip through your fingers."

Love and bunnies all,

-Lightrule

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I'm going to plant a fake GPS device on my car, that way when they come to place one, they'll see mine and thing I've already been tagged and the paperwork simply slipped through the cracks.

And somehow I'm not surprised this all started over marijuana.

This case began in 2007, when Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) agents decided to monitor Juan Pineda-Moreno, an Oregon resident who they suspected was growing marijuana. They snuck onto his property in the middle of the night and found his Jeep in his driveway, a few feet from his trailer home. Then they attached a GPS tracking device to the vehicle's underside.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I believe this should be a violation of the 4th amendment which says we have the right to be free from unreasonable searches without probable cause. I believe this action needs to be stamped out. Anyone and any business could decide they want to start tracking all customers and put devices in clothes or other items. I believe all of this is unreasonable and without probable cause.

The possible exception may be in certain cases where illegal activity is suspected but a court order should be required in my opinion. I hope the majority of people do not think it is reasonable that any government agency or anyone who wants to can put a tracking device on your car, your clothes, or other personal items and track you without your knowledge for no good reason.

Hopefully a judge might think about what this could lead to. A stalker could put tracking devices on the judge's car and on the judge's spouse and kids vehicles. Then they could be tracked and monitored by third parties. If this is not considered unreasonable, then the judges are setting us all up for trouble. Secretly tracking someone is an invasion of privacy in my opinion.

[edit on 26-8-2010 by orionthehunter]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I will post very visible signs along the perimiter of my land and maybe in my vehicle saying that I have reasonable expectation of privacy in my own driveway and I have reasonable expectation that the government isn't tracking my movements.
And No Tresspassing ...

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
That's insane, but hey, they can already do that with people's cell phones in most cases. This is more infringement on personal liberties as well as money being wasted. Why use a device to track my vehicle's location? My cell phone can do the job of a government agent.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Lightrule

This rocks!!!
I go almost nowhere in a car so someone would have a hard time using said method to track me, although I'm fairly sure I am not being tracked as I have done nothing wrong.
That said if there was someone who had done wrong and they did not plan for the unexpected such as tracking devices I say shame on them for their fail.
Why the hell would the PTB want to know that I walked to Safeway and got milk and bag salad anyway?
This is a truly silly topic and I suspect it was originally spread by the PTB themselves, silly silly.

(Edit)
Another thought, why would the idea of someone walking ONTO your property ever be an issue?
If I were to be assigned a task of trailing someone via electronic means I would tail them to the nearest store and do the wirework there in the parking lot where nobody knows that said car is not mine, rather than do work in someones driveway where their neighbor may see me or worse I risk them putting said car in the garage.
Think folks this is a silly topic.

[edit on 26-8-2010 by g146541]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
It looks like your too late, as this topic was started earlier here: The Government Can Use GPS to Track Your Moves.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
It looks like your too late, as this topic was started earlier here: The Government Can Use GPS to Track Your Moves.

--airspoon

Airspoon, are you part of the TSPU? That is, the Thread Starter Police Unit, because I swear every thread I've been reading tonight you have been showing up with the same type of post.

Ah, I'm just busting your chops, you must read a heck of a lot of threads though, to know in what order they were all started.

But back on topic, I gotta say the possibility of your car being GPS'd by the authorities has been a threat to criminals for years, maybe a decade. Like some one else mentioned, any person who is actively out participating in a ongoing criminal enterprise, should always be engaged in counter surveillance. Which would include checking your vehicles for any foreign equipment.

That being said, the fact they are saying this is perfectly legal(in the way they put it) is typical of how totally out of control our laws, and law enforcement, and even the government as a whole have gotten.

It's not surprising at all, right now we are on a course that it seems, we as a society cannot get off of..which in itself is leading us down a path to total surveillance of everyone...Just in case you think about breaking the law.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I do not know about the going on to your property to plant it being kosher but, the tracking part I can see. After all its does not require a warrant to follow or tail somebody. Anyone can do that and it is perfectly legal tracking a GPS in a car can be viewed the same way. That being said I do not like the idea of it being put on while on private property.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
It is NOT settled law. It will have to go to the Supreme Court soon to decide. Differerent courts have reached different decisions: The DC Fed court ruled AGAINST the devices, but other courts have ruled for them, so it will get settled soon.

The Court also said that rich people have more expectations of privacy!! Say you live in a normal house or apartment, where you car is parked where anyone can walk up to it...one court said that the Feds and other coppers can attach the device to your car there...but if you had an enclosed wall around your car, in a garage or otherwise in a private area where no one ias expected to go...that means that the cops would be violating your rights to enter and attach the device.

So rich people that can afford private gated communities or a garage are protected from the attachment, while the poorer people have to accept being targeted and their cars being tracked. In public you lose virtually all of your privacy expectations, while in a private area where the ' curtilage ' ends you are safer, legally speaking.

Cops want to be able to attch these devices to cars WITHOUT a warrant, even when tracking people for months...just to gather supposed evidence...cops do not want to tail people and watch them, they want to do it the easy way and just gather electronic info and try and use it to bust people....cops hate all privacy rights ( except for themselves ) and will do anything possible to get the courts to allow intrusions and such crap to get more busts.

I look forward with great glee to the day that cops will be too scared to violate our rights....when retaliation comes and cops get targeted for their crimes most cops will forget being bullies and killers and worry more about the People taking them off the count...then maybe they will respect the People and not treat us like slaves and enemies.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Welcome to the U.C.C or Uniform Commercial Code of Law.

The Fourth Amendment originated with the British Soldiers storming into Colonist's homes and taking residence and/or searching the premises and taking liberty with any and all contents discovered within.

The key word here is within, within the confines of the walled structure/abode in itself.

This is why it doesn't necessarily apply only to the home but to any walled structure, on the premises/property, even a garage.

Now for the case in which a vehicle is not contained by a walled structure.

The Fourth Amendment hasn't any ground.

This has been presented on ATS but in summary, In registering your vehicle. You in actuality, are surrendering ownership or legal title of your vehicle to the crown.
“Registration” comes from Latin “rex, regis” etc. meaning regal. So think about what occurs to
whatever you ‘register’ – you hand legal title over to the Crown.

When you register anything with the public,
it releases legal title to the government corporation and leaves you with only equitable title – the right to use,
not own, and for that use you will pay a ‘use’ tax which is every tax, be it income, sin, sales, property, etc. as
opposed to lawful taxes – excise and impost.

This is how the "Law" and their legal stewards, Law Enforcement Officers, can legally access and implant this device upon your vehicle. Because it technically belongs to the Governing State in which it is "Registered".

Welcome to the U.C.C or Uniform Commercial Code of Law.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.law.cornell.edu...

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by PersonalChoice

That's because a lot of people, myself included have put a lot of effort into a reply that will otherwise be ignored due to a new thread on the same subject. I wouldn't care so much if I hadn't taken the time to research and put together a reply in the other thread.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Lightrule

For those worried about GPS, there is a thing called homemade GPS jammer.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon

--airspoon

airspoon is right guys, I was beat this time. The much bigger, better thread is through that link.

Please post all replies to Jenna's thread.
The Government Can Use GPS to Track Your Moves

Thanks airspoon!

-Lightrule

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Prince Of Darkness

Too much work for us lazy Americans. Fortunately, we can count on those stalwart paragons of personal privacy and freedom, the Chinese.

www.chinavasion.com...

I know I'm ordering one. Jams GPS and cell phones

new topics

top topics

join