It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spraying insecticide inside a plane

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I recently flew overseas with a stopover in Banda Seri Begawan ,Brunei .After landing but before disembarking ,the cabin crew proceeded to spray the entire plane with some sort of aerosol .I asked a flight attendant what they were spraying and she showed me the can ,it was some sort of insecticide.They sprayed again on the return stopover at Brunei,but they only sprayed when entering Brunei.I found this link which suggests that it is quite common but i had not experienced this before and i have flown overseas before a few times..If i was a regular on this route or one of the cabin crew ,i wouldnt be happy breathing this stuff everyday.Any one else Know what i am talking about?

www.airliners.net...

[edit on 25-8-2010 by 12voltz]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I dont like the sound of that.

I hope for your sake they werent using organo-phosphates.

check this...

en.wikipedia.org...

bad news

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Onet Wosix

Yeah that looks likes some evil potion,hopefully it wasnt anything as toxic as that and i didnt notice any side effects but if you are getting a dose everyday it may have some ill effects,In the link i provided some people were complaining of headaches ,nausea etc.The cabin crew didnt announce they were going to spray they just started walking down the cabin spraying right above everyone.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Wow that's pretty crazy stuff actually.

I guess that makes being rich and getting that private jet even more desirable!

Us poor folk are treated like insects. Geez.

They may need a slightly more powerful toxin to get rid of us though.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
about 15 years ago i used to work with pesticides, and i got certificates and did training etc

all the manufacturers used to say 'oh yeah all our products are safe, blah, blah' - but when i looked in the little leaflets that came on the bottles, they were some really nasty side effects, and if you are sensitive to some chemicals , they can be really bad news.

i soon left that job.

being sprayed on an 'unregulated application' like spraying aerosols in an aircraft would have made me do one thing asap - eat some charcoal tablets and drink lots of water.

i would then ask the airplane staff for a data sheet on what pesticide they have just used in case you are sensitive and become ill.

hope you are ok anyway.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Onet Wosix

I think the massive headache i got the following day was from the pollution after landing in Manila,which makes the insecticide nearly insignificant.
Good move getting out the pesticide business.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I don't know about the whole plane thing-but it sounds really gross and hazardous!

I do know that every tuesday and thursday night a city truck comes by our house just a sprayin' away. I HATE it. I have lived here for nine years and I certainly don't believe that it does anything to any insect. I hate having to run in the house when they come. I really wish they would ban that stuff.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

Do you know what they are spraying for?Mosquitoes ?,I would go and ask them ,do they wear masks and protective gear?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Mosquitoes...and no the two city guys are wearing no protective masks..and they have their windows rolled down. I was outside once while they were going by and the stuff came down and it felt like I sprayed perfume in my mouth..I mean tasted like perfume not smelled like perfume. I was talking to a contractor about my roof or else I would have hightailed it in.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

i think i would be getting out of there,wouldn't it be easier and healthier to get rid of any stagnant water where they might be breeding
www.idph.state.il.us...

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

For years every time you landed in New Zealand they wouldn't let you off the plane till they had sprayed the interior. Was a real pain but since NZ has been so isolated for millennia they believed they needed to do this in order to protect certain food industry's and forest from the bad bad bugs!

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Carry a dust mask so you don't have to breath it

two

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Aircraft are just like any other place that has food in it, they attract bugs and require applications of insecticide. On a domestic flight, this is done once in awhile when the aircraft goes in for maintenance, however, on customs flights there is always concern over what types of harmful insects may be carried into the country. This is the same reason its illegal to carry certain plants, fruits, or soil even across state lines, let alone international boarders. Nothing really unusual about it, simply a precaution to keep out alien species.

new topics

top topics

join