It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Claudy bomb: Police Ombudsman report due into NI attack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Claudy bomb: Police Ombudsman report due into NI attack

www.bbc.co.uk

BBC Ireland correspondent Mark Simpson said the report "is expected to confirm that the authorities at the time were aware of the suspected involvement of a priest in the atrocity - but failed to arrest him".

"Instead, a secret deal was done between the Catholic Church and the state to move Fr Jim Chesney across the border into County Donegal,"
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.psni.police.uk

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
It appears that the catholic church have been involved in a cover up with the British Government in the 70's to save face after one of their clergy was a part of an IRA team that bombed the village of Claudy killing nine people.

I am glad for one that this is now being investigated so that the families of those that died can get some kind of closure and understanding.

It is interesting (to me at least) that this is being brought into the spotlight now. Is it a reflection of the subsidance in power of the church or are there other reasons?

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Disgusting,

I hope this is investigated to the full. The Church has a "stronghold" on the minds of many in Ireland and is akin to a Theocracy.

I for one have met one decent Catholic priest whilst living there and he was decent when he named and shamed everyone in church one Sunday who had connections with so called "liberating" armies and cleared them.

The extent of corruption and wealth in that so called religion makes me ill.

It was well known that many a priest had words with the IRA to remove youths from their grasp at the behest of families.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
If this has indeed been covered up it is a disgraceful act and just goes to show the hold that religions have over government bodies.

This kind of extremism has been going on for years, not just in the middle east as some people will no doubt believe.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
The Catholic Church has expolited the romantic nature of the Irish people and held them back for centuries.
Only now is Ireland beginning to break free from it's grip.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Yes, good!

I think the brainwashing and breeding programme is coming to an end.

When I was at school I do recall Virgin Megastores in Dublin fined for the illegal sale of condoms... all those years ago ..oh no it was in 1991... how absurd.

Two friends of mine were asked to "leave" the town because they were selling condom machines to the local clubs..who asked them to leave.? ..well.. the local priest did..

Oh yes and if you are a sinner, just pay the priest 40 quid and you'll go right to heaven..

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
UPDATE: Report finds that police, government and Catholic church colluded

So it turns out that there was a definite negotiation between the three parties to remove the priest to a different area so as not to "Aggravate the Security Situation"

however,

The report also states that:

Mr Hutchinson also concluded that his investigation "found no evidence of criminal intent on the part of any government minister or official or the on the part of any official of the Catholic Church".

Yeah right..

Surely it was covered up for a reason, be it the failings of the police to carry out their duties correctly or as I believe the Catholic church leaning on the government so as not to have such a "highly regarded" institution tarred with the brush of supporting terrorism.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Yes gruesome reading , above the law then and now with child abuse.

The good ole faithful paying to see that man dressed as santa claus when he comes to England soon.

A detective who wanted to arrest Fr Chesney after the attack was told by the Assistant Chief Constable that "matters are in hand".

fair dues to the detective who was tryng to arrest him.

What will happen now , most of the people in charge are dead or retired. Smells like a a PR stunt for the PSNI to blackwash the RUC because to be fair the Catholic Church are in the pits already.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I am not surprised by this, however I do not think it is a common occurrence priests are often the voice of reason during times of cross community tension.

It was well known that many a priest had words with the IRA to remove youths from their grasp at the behest of families.

This is still happening today, youths are being indoctrinated into extremist groups. In particular the Real I.R.A and Continuity enjoy modest support in Lurgan and South Armagh. I believe vulnerable young men in these areas are at risk, from former Provisional and I.N.L.A members.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner

This is still happening today, youths are being indoctrinated into extremist groups. In particular the Real I.R.A and Continuity enjoy modest support in Lurgan and South Armagh. I believe vulnerable young men in these areas are at risk, from former Provisional and I.N.L.A members.

I agree many disenfranchised young men/ boys are targeted, I wonder what story they are fed now? It is a right of passage for many young men to join a gang and to fight but this is a different league.

if they continue to plant bombs , no business is going to invest in an area, people dont want to pay protection money to racketeers. These pimps exist in many cities but in NI they are pimps with bombs and bigger guns.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by BANANAMONTANA

It's a very small minority of bitter and twisted old men who miss 'the glory days' when they were able to manipulate the romantic nature of the Irish people to further their own agenda of power and control.
They used history and religion as tools to enable this.
That small elements of The Catholic church were complicit in this is beyond doubt.

These people can not be allowed to drag Ireland back to the horrors of The Troubles and every effort must be made to stop them.

For this to happen then it is imperative that a 'wiping of the slate' must occur.
This requires the complete and total openness of all concerned when investigating the events of yesteryear.

The people of Ireland deserve their chance for peace free from the bigotry, hatred and control that consumed them in the past.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Quote:
Mr Hutchinson also concluded that his investigation "found no evidence of criminal intent on the part of any government minister or official or on the part of any official of the Catholic Church".
Unquote:

Above quote from the BBC link provided above.

I find this conclusion by Mr. Hutchinson incomprehensible. Surelyl, conspiracy to pervert the cause of justice IS A CRIME!

Surely, aiding and abetting IS A CRIME!

Can you imagine if instead of the IRA this had been a Muslim extremist group - do you think Mr. Hutchinson would have come to the same conclusion? Maybe so, because there is clearly one law for the 'authorities' and one law for the rest of us.

top topics

join