It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook is an intelligence gathering operation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Windows Live has partnered with facebook, and feeds them not only your contact list, but also a history of every email address you've ever sent mail to. This is how facebook is able to send me emails telling me that people I corresponded with briefly five years ago have facebook accounts...even though I don't have a facebook account.

Facebook has a similar arrangement with yahoo mail, auto-connecting everyone on your contact list with their facebook accounts.

Facebook is also integrated with battlenet, as everyone who plays World of Warcraft or Starcraft can attest to.

Facebook is now using geolocation to show the world where you are and where you've been.

Facebook's Privacy statement is a vague statement that they'll "try their best" to keep your information secure, and that they don't give information to their advertisers as part of their personalized advertising placements. They do not say they won't blatantly sell or give away your information to corporate or government entities.

And now ATS is inviting everyone to create an association with their facebook accounts. What intelligence organization wouldn't want the real name, personal data and pictures of everyone on the biggest conspiracy site in the world?

Intelligence op? Yeah, probably.

So who wants to associate themselves and every post they've ever written here on ATS with their personal profile on facebook, pictures of yourself and your family, and geolocation data showing where you physically reside? Have you ever spoken on an unpopular topic? Expressed an interest in revolution? Talked about what guns you own? Now's your chance to associate those discussions with who you are personally and where you and your family can be found.

I'll pass, thanks.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by LordBucket]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

I don't usually believe in conspiracies, however Facebook, Google and Microsoft are, in my opinion, gathering personal data. Intelligence agencies and the police are known yo use tools such as Facebook, so they do give out your information to the authorities if the authorities want it. I wouldn't want my information in their data bases, but everyone else has Facebook (well not quite), so why not, just make sure you only put on the internet information that you don't mind sharing with the world, that includes the intelligence. I don't think however that the Intelligence will use it for bad in a big way.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket
And now ATS is inviting everyone to create an association with their facebook accounts.

No such "invitation" to associate accounts is implied, suggested, or endorsed. Please retract that statement.

edit on by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Yes, I would recommend, that if you were going to sign up to Facebook, use an email and username that cannot be traced to your ATS account.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I knew facebook would eventually be used as a way for the powers that be to gather info on people, it was only a mater of time.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
The thread author was a given an opportunity to retract his misinformation, and has not.

No invitation to associate Facebook accounts with ATS accounts has happened, and it never will happen. In fact, we've made it clear that our target is non-ATS members on Facebook.

Thread closed.

join