It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Machine That Turns Plastic Back Into Oil

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+37 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   

A Machine That Turns Plastic Back Into Oil

motherboard.tv

Akinori Ito, the CEO of Blest, a Japanese company, has somewhat of a panacea. If plastic is just oil, why don’t we simply turn it back into what it was, he pondered. So the guy made a machine to do it. His solution is safe, eco-friendly and efficient.

“If we burn the plastic, we generate toxins and a large amount of CO2. If we convert it into oil, we save CO2 and at the same time increase people’s awareness about the value of plastic garbage,” Ito told Our World 2.0.

Blest produces the machines in various sizes suitable for more industrial purposes or simple home use. There are a
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
This is incredible news and this invention has to be one of the most important steps for our planet. Imagine the millions of tons of wasted plastic waiting to be recycled back into oil and gasoline!

The questions now: Are we in the green, using 1kw of electricity to create 1 liter of oil?
Will the govts and oil corporates allow this to be mass produced?

motherboard.tv
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23-8-2010 by TheOracle]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
This is an excellent find.

I think the inventor had the right idea, selling it as an example of turning refuse into something useful. If we can get the recyclers in on this this it could be a big step.

The machine and its inventor have become part of a United Nations campaign to teach children the value of what would otherwise be called garbage. The intent is to raise awareness of the power of recycling and to teach children to care for the environment, not only for the environment's sake, but for the value in our 'garbage', as well.

from here

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
A good solution but not a very good step. But I do like the idea. Looking at lifetime of plastic this is good solution, but a better way is to use bio degradable plastic in the first place.

Its always break my heart to see floating plastic in the sea, nobody there to pick it up, thats why.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Absolutely jaw-dropping.

Let's hope these machines become common all over the world. I want one already - that video was inspirational.

Here is an article on the Envion Oil Generator in Maryland. It, too, converts plastic into oil but this is on a much larger scale than the machines featured in the video.

www.gizmag.com...

[edit on 23-8-2010 by berenike]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Does this mean our plastic waste will earn us a small fortune?

Second. S&F

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Better start collecting my plastic then and making one of these machines, maybe I can make diesel out of it, free fuel.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
If this machine actually proves out to be viable it is an exciting thing...

Right up until people begin brainstorming about how to turn this into a "for profit" concept.

Can you imagine $20.00 sodas, with $18.00 of those dollars being made of up deposits and some kind of "carbon usage" tax?

*this edit brought to you by ADHD*

[edit on 8/23/10 by Hefficide]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by scottlpool2003

I wish you could be right.

Unfortunately we know where this machine is going to end, right?

Together with the car that runs on water, the car that runs on garbage, the wireless transmition of energy (Tesla), and all the REAL data about alternative energy potentials.

Oil is a well-known monopoly (or cartel), and it is naive of anyone to think that this is going to change (ie.: I will be able to produce it at home) just because a man had this incredible idea about turning plastic back to oil and made it happen.

Peace

PS.: I'm feeling a little pessimist today, so...

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Wonderful news!!

Too bad this is the last we'll hear of it and it will be suppressed.
This tech is to beneficial to mankind to be acceptable.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

Amazing...This earth will change if this machine can ever get to the market. One hopes the inventor is "careful" maybe he should hire some bodyguards for his own safety before the TPTB come for a "talk" to pay him off.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
should stick a couple on old tankers and visit that texas sized rubbish island in the pacific, make money clearing rubbish

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I would, unfortunately, have to agree that to use this to its maximum potential, all governments (at least those that really need it) should have access to this technology as they were the only ones that have the ability to introduce and use it en mass.

For maximum efficiency, willingly give these data over to the States, EU and China for instant mass destruction. Don't worry about the governments covering this up, since they will be too busy in trying to keep up with each other, especially with China thrown into the equation.

I wouldn't entrust the technology to corporates or private institutions, although 'leak' is inevitable.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I thought you people here were smart?
Ok get a pot with a lid that can seal then stick a metal pipe into the top and run it to a water filled container .
now heat the plastic junk at low and thats all there is to the machine its self.
ok so out of 1kg of plastic you get 1 liter of oil .
ok so the first question is how much energy does it take to boil the plastic?
then once you have the oil it once again must be processed into usable fuel.
and once you have boiled the plastic what residue is left in the pot?
because you should know plastic is NOT only oil lol there are other chemicals in it as well .
man you could do this at home people .
yea i know this guy has the boil chamber hook up to a computer .
big deal you dont need a computer to turn on a stove .
any one notice the temp reading he was getting?
come one people all this would really help with is the trash problem but if you built a company based on this its a NO money maker . as a matter of fact you would louse money on it .
no one has to bury this teck NO sane company would try making money from it.
ps one other thing ever see a old car tire Dry rot? or a really old Tupperware container crack? taht is because the oil in it slowly evaporates
out making it brittle.
heck get 50 tons of old tires and 50 tons of plastic put them in a green house with LOW humity and a pips all leading to a container thats in a cool place and wate a year . You WILL have oil in that container .
funny thing is if you built this at home you could get the oil cheaper then the electricity is as electricity is subsidized .
but there is a NET ENERGY LOSE .on the other hand it will reduce the amount of garbage going to the landfill. as much as 03% probably

[edit on 23-8-2010 by xxcalbier]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

You say there's a net energy loss - but don't provide numbers. ...How 'bout it?

You say there's no profit in this conversion but as posted above, the
Montgomery County Waste Transfer Station uses this or similar technology.

More information and references required please!!!

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
perpetual motion has been dis-proven so many times .No numbers I could give you would make you believe it is not possible to get more energy out of a system then you put into it.
Any more then I could ever convince you Obama Is NOT a alien reptile over lord.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
This will be incredible...safe waste disposale.
This could clear so many landfills which is a problem on its own.

Plus you could make the machine more efficient through solar powered heating elements.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by o420x]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
The moment I learned that plastic is nearly pure petroleum,it popped into my head to convert it back to oil...years ago...

Bio-Fuels,Well,just collect up all of that flammable debris from the wooded areas so they don't cause so many fires,and use that instead of wasting food crops making ethanol......

Too bad I am just a "Po Boy",mighta come up with this myself long ago.

I just watch,and someday I will leave.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by chiponbothshoulders]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Fantastic news and this is where the brain power and money should be spent. Finding alternatives to oil and the processing of our waste instead of the relentless pursuit through warfare

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

There are a number of American publicly traded companies that can do this as well.
Ticker GBRC, using a specific frequency microwave, can turn rubber tires into fuel.
Ticker RTK, using plasma gasification, can turn garbage into fuel.

RTK's technology has already been used in a UAL test flight.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join