It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Received Spam from my own E-mail address?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Hi

I need some help with this. I recevied spam for buying codeine online today but the senders e-mail address was my EXACT same e-mail address I pay for from an ISP.

Is my machine a clone or something?? I have NAV and Norton Firewal installed with current updates, which I regularly install.

Also when I go to the Windows update page, I have already installed updated stuff but now when I get an alet to install and go to the site it loads but not without the button to click to install updates. It says updates ready to install, review and install..but there is no button loaded to click to move forward and update software.

Help please!
Thanks
TSTF

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Forging the "From" field with the receipient's address is a common technique used by automated spamming tools to get past spam-filters since you would not normally block messages from yourself. It isn't anything to worry about. If you have good antivirus, a firewall, and anti-spyware tools you are ahead of the game.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 12:22 AM
link   
You really should block yourself..it helps alot. I have even gotten a Netsky virus from myself on my @ATS address. I just blocked myself and i havent gotten anymore from myself.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 04:55 AM
link   
thanks for your help.

i have latest NAV and NIS updated all the time so theres not much else I can do other than block my own e-mail.

another question for you, occasionally i get e-mails sent to me from postmasters saying e-mail not delievered, only I never sent any e-mail to that address and it aint in my outbox. Is this spoofing? I get mail saying that antivirus failed and could not deliever but ive ran scans on updated NAV and found no virus.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I get those "mail undelivered" messages a lot, yesturday on my hotmail address I recieved 44 of them in one day!

I am not too sure what they are, but they always tend to come with attachments, which hotmail says contained viruses, so yea - I guess their spoofers trying to copy the messages, in hope you open the attachment. (as it looks like it comes from a 'reliable' source - postmaster).

top topics

join