It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mind control by parasite!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Not sure what forum this belongs in...please move if necessary. I found it pretty fascinating and certainly disturbing in its implications.

Implications for natural spreading of such parasites: Unsettling

Implications in terms of deliberate engineering/spreading of such parasites:
Highly unsettling

Plus, it mentions zombe ants. ZOMBE ANTS!!

Mind control by parasite sounds like the stuff of science fiction, but not only have scientists revealed that it is real across a range of animals – including perhaps humans – they now even have fossil evidence suggesting it has taken place for millions of years.

An unnerving variety of parasites have evolved the ability to control the brains of victims to help the parasites spread. For instance, the protozoan known as Toxoplasma gondii makes rats love cat urine so that it can spread among its feline hosts – and it may influence human culture as well, making people more prone to certain forms of neuroticism.

Another case of parasite mind control involves the fungus Ophiocordyceps unilateralis, which essentially turns ants into zombies. It maneuvers the insects into biting down on the major veins of the undersides of leaves just before they die – the fungus then rapidly grows a stalk from their victims’ heads, releasing spores to infect more ants.

More at source:
www.livescience.com...

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Yeah I just posted the same article! It's awesome that fungus can do this to ants.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
Yeah I just posted the same article! It's awesome that fungus can do this to ants.

Their heads explode. Unnerving.

Viruses and bacteria that can impact the mind are bad enough, but there is something especially squicky about PARASITES that can do so.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
this probably explains why some people like to eat undercooked food. parasites?

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
Not sure what forum this belongs in...please move if necessary. I found it pretty fascinating and certainly disturbing in its implications.

Implications for natural spreading of such parasites: Unsettling

Implications in terms of deliberate engineering/spreading of such parasites:
Highly unsettling

Plus, it mentions zombe ants. ZOMBE ANTS!!

Mind control by parasite sounds like the stuff of science fiction, but not only have scientists revealed that it is real across a range of animals – including perhaps humans – they now even have fossil evidence suggesting it has taken place for millions of years.

An unnerving variety of parasites have evolved the ability to control the brains of victims to help the parasites spread. For instance, the protozoan known as Toxoplasma gondii makes rats love cat urine so that it can spread among its feline hosts – and it may influence human culture as well, making people more prone to certain forms of neuroticism.

Another case of parasite mind control involves the fungus Ophiocordyceps unilateralis, which essentially turns ants into zombies. It maneuvers the insects into biting down on the major veins of the undersides of leaves just before they die – the fungus then rapidly grows a stalk from their victims’ heads, releasing spores to infect more ants.

More at source:
www.livescience.com...

I think you found the source of the Goa'uld for
Stargate SG-1.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
MK Ultra's got nothing on mother nature
good find s&f

new topics

top topics

join