It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alert - AMS apparatus leaves CERN

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Fresh news regarding the AMS experiment, from CERN press-release:

MS experiment takes off for Kennedy Space Center

Geneva, 18 August 2010. The Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer (AMS), an experiment that will search for antimatter and dark matter in space, leaves CERN next Tuesday on the next leg of its journey to the International Space Station. The AMS detector is being transported from CERN to Geneva International Airport in preparation for its planned departure from Switzerland on 26 August, when it will be flown to the Kennedy Space Center in Florida on board a US Air Force Galaxy transport aircraft.

A press conference to mark the occasion will be held at the press room of Geneva International Airport at 9:00 CEST on 25 August, and journalists will have the opportunity to visit the AMS detector and the aircraft. Those wishing to attend to the visit should contact the CERN press office by 12:00 CEST on Monday 23 August at the latest, providing their nationality, date of birth and passport or identity card number. This document must also be presented before the visit. Please note that only the people who have registered will be able to go on the apron to visit the AMS detector and the aircraft

Additional info:

Link

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
More:

AMS will examine fundamental issues about matter and the origin and structure of the Universe directly from space. Its main scientific target is the search for dark matter and antimatter, in a programme that is complementary to that of the Large Hadron Collider.

Last February the AMS detector travelled from CERN to the European Space Research and Technology Centre (ESTEC) in Noordwijk (Netherlands) for testing to certify its readiness for travel into space. Following the completion of the testing, the AMS collaboration decided to return the detector to CERN for final modifications. In particular, the detector's superconducting magnet was replaced by the permanent magnet from the AMS-01 prototype, which had already flown into space in 1998. The reason for the decision was that the operational lifetime of the superconducting magnet would have been limited to three years, because there is no way of refilling the magnet with liquid helium, necessary to maintain the magnet's superconductivity, on board the space station. The permanent magnet, on the other hand, will now allow the experiment to remain operational for the entire lifetime of the ISS.

Following its return to CERN, the AMS detector was therefore reconfigured with the permanent magnet before being tested with CERN particle beams. The tests were used to validate and calibrate the new configuration before the detector leaves Europe for the last time.

"The entire AMS collaboration is delighted by this departure, because it marks a crucial milestone for the experiment. We are getting close to the space shuttle launch and the moment when our detector will finally be installed on board the ISS," explained Professor Sam Ting, Nobel laureate and spokesman for the experiment. "The detector's construction phase is now finished and we are eager for the data collection phase to begin."

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
By the way this is likely the most expensive science apparatus ever built... Project plagued with delays and modifications... Let's hope it'll fly successfully.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Thank you kindly for the awesome update on that project and its likes.

I certainly will be following up on it more.

Plus. I did wish to say Hello

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

so.....

They are going to put a failed experiment back up in space so it can fail again for the bargain basement price of only 1.5 billion?

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1

so.....

They are going to put a failed experiment back up in space so it can fail again for the bargain basement price of only 1.5 billion?

It hasn't failed because it's never flown a mission. Now it will. Let's see what happened.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Actually it has flown a mission.

They are using the same magnets as the AMS-01, I expect the same results.

I love statements like this:

“This really is the very first very, very precise particle physics detector. You enter into a totally new domain. It’s very hard to predict what you’ll find.”

Its very hard to predict what you'll find - Yeah, since your theory is a bunch of junk science, you'll make crap up as you go.

The guy is basically expecting his 1.5 billion dollar tax payer funded toy to not meet with the theory it is predicated on.

What a fantastic waste of money.

That's enough money to feed a million people for 6 months.

[edit on 20-8-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
You know, I'm a moral person. My parents raised me to be a good and decent person. I would feel outrageously guilty if I was engaged in promoting what I knew to be outright fraud and deceit.

No matter how hard I try, I just can't understand why so many theoretical physicists can engage in outright blatant fraud, while stealing money from the public and lying to their faces.

I just read over the recent updates to the wiki entry for plasma cosmology and saw nothing but blatant lies all over the entire article. I mean not just one section - but the ENTIRE ARTICLE is lies.

For example:

"Examples of the very speculative nature of Alfvén's conclusions include factually inaccurate explanations for star formation using Birkeland currents.[11]" - they cite Alfven's OWN PAPER as evidence to support this claim! WTF? Are they suggesting Alfven knowingly published factually inaccurate explanations himself? No proof, no nothing, just wild claims.

"These plasma currents were believed by Alfvén and his supporters to be responsible for many filamentary structures seen in astrophysical observations. However, there remains no direct observational evidence of such large scale plasma currents[citation needed] and mainstream astrophysical explanations for large-scale phenomena preclude plasma current mechanisms[citation needed]."

"no evidence" - again, WTF? No citations, just wild claims.

"Alfvén's models do not provide any predictions that can account for any cosmological observations including Hubble's law, the abundance of light elements, or the existence of the cosmic microwave background.[10]"

All lies.

While Alfven might not have directly addressed these issues in papers, the article is on plasma cosmology in general, not Alfven - hence this is a bunch of lies. Plasma cosmology has indeed addressed all of those issues in published peer reviewed papers.

LIES

I mean the whole article is filled with this nonsense.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

Good post i agree with you fully. The scientific community has become a dictatorship of sorts only allowing certain theories to be published. I find it laughable that they are looking for the Higgs Boson, they will never find that particle because it doesn't exist and if they do find it then they are either mistaken or purposely defrauding the public for more tax dollars.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by epsilon69

Nice way to look at it.
Either way you're right. How comfy.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

They could prove me wrong with third party confirmation. With tax payer dollars i think that it's only fair, wouldn't you agree?

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by epsilon69

The scientific community has become a dictatorship of sorts only allowing certain theories to be published.

So a "third party" would be whom, exactly, if not the scientific community? Are you qualified to determine what is discovered at CERN? Do you know what Higgs "looks" like?

But yes, there is some scrutiny of what is published in peer reviewed journals but not a whole lot. Any examples of what is not "allowed" to be published? I've seen some pretty um...wild...stuff.

[edit on 8/21/2010 by Phage]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1

Actually it has flown a mission.

They are using the same magnets as the AMS-01

Not it hasn't flown a mission. AMS-02 is a vastly different detector.

Its very hard to predict what you'll find - Yeah, since your theory is a bunch of junk science, you'll make crap up as you go

As you and I know, you are woefully unequipped to make such determination.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

lol gotta let the 'less informed' think what they think. it'd be a catastrophe if they ever really looked into, or over anything.

Great works none the less.

top topics

join