It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human Caused Global Climate Change is a reality, the science is now part of most university classes.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
In the distant past when most learned, educated, people discovered the earth was not the center of the universe, many people continued on to believe it was for many years. To assume Homo sapiens as a species does not have any effect upon the environment; in direct opposition to statistical data is just plain ignorant. Sorry all you anti-Global Warming (by the way it is called human caused Global Climate change, human caused Global Warming is only a small part of the bigger picture) advocates the debate has been over now for many years. In all my university classes this subject was being taught as fact, most are now trying to "work the problem". However freedom of speech is grand, I just choose to believe the world is round, we are not at the center of the universe, and through corporate greed, ignorance, and disregard to sound anti-pollution policies we have screwed up our biosphere. The existence of this condition does not require your consent to be real or not; the scientists, professors, students and others who understand human caused global climate change just view your ignorance as sad. Never underestimate stupid or misinformed people in mass numbers. But, hey, believe what you want it still doesn't change the reality; the science is just leaving you behind. Human caused Global Climate Change will still be taught in the schools and universities as fact. If you choose to be a fool and embrace ignorance more power to you. However, believe whatever you wish; just please stop polluting while you do.

Three out of the four main concepts of human caused Global Climate change is undisputable; mainly because their effects can be observed by the human eye. Pollution, Acid Rain, and the decay of the Ozone layer are OBVIOUS human caused changes in global climate. The fourth main aspect is the Greenhouse effect or Global Warming if you prefer, the only one which is disputed by a few scientists (who seem to be given tons of FOXLIES air time). Some try to say the sun spot cycle is the cause for the most recent accelerated global warming trend. However, for over the last hundred years, there have been no great changes in the sun spot cycle. In actuality we are experiencing an extreme solar minimum; in 2008 there were no sunspots observed on 266 days, 73% of the time. Dean Pesnell of the Goddard Space Flight Center said, “We’re experiencing a very deep solar minimum”, while David Hathaway of Marshall Space Flight Center continues, “This is the quietest sun we’ve seen in almost a century.” This is the reason most scientist dismiss the idea of sun spots causing the almost doubling of carbon emissions found in the atmosphere over the last 60 years. Furthermore it is quite apparent there is a correlation of the high carbon emissions found in the atmosphere and the recent industrial age. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to make this common sense connection. Please leave science to the scientist and please do not add anymore breathe into the right wing conspiracy FOXLIES disciples spout. Regardless science is not a belief system; to think we as Americans have the right to either believe in science or not is ridiculous. Below is a link to a global time clock which I think some people may find interesting it displays CO2 emissions, global temperature rise and deforestation figures:

www.carbon-projects.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
deforestation: bad
pollution: bad
carbon dioxide: essential.
Climate Change Alarmists: nut jobs

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

Pollution, deforestation, acid rain, depletion of ozone layer, and RISING carbon emmision all bad, and are all parts of human caused global climate change. Alarmist nut jobs?.....ya probably some...but why not we as a society for just once act in a sane way, enact sound anti-pollution policies, hold accountable the industrial pollutors, and hey, why not try to make a better safer place for our kids and grandkids or is that too much sounding like a alarmist nut job??

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by AmosGraber

How can I put this delicately...When I was a boy, I recall once in science class the teacher was reading from the text book, not paying particular attention, when she said something that caught most of us kids' attention: She read from the book that carbon dioxide was a poison. I raised my hand and asked "Mrs Brazel, dont you mean carbon monoxide?"

She did a double take at the book, and said "Umm yes, this must be a typo..."

I grew up living close to the land, and know fully well the special relationship between people who breathe in oxygen, and breathe out carbon dioxide; and all the flora that breathes in carbon dioxide, and breathes out oxygen.

I agree whole-heartedly that mankind would do well to seek renewable energy, to seek in every way possible to live in harmony with our planet.

I cannot agree that carbon dioxide is anything less than essential to life on our planet. Put not so delicately, CO2 makes the green sh** grow!

The effect of co2 on flora is to make it bigger, stronger, and more lush...which in turn means it emits more oxygen. I will never agree to pay a tax(be it direct or indirect) for the privilege of breathing, as A. there is proof that ours is not the only planet that has recently experienced an increase in temperature and B. who's to say that a slightly warmer planet is a bad thing?

What is the end objective here? To reduce the over-all temperature to a normal level? Guess what? The planet is constantly in a state of change! There is no such thing as a "normal" climate, and for the last time; increased carbon dioxide is a good thing for the planet!

Once more however I will make the distinction clear to you: Carbon DIoxide is what comes out of your mouth( = good ), Carbon MONoxide is what comes out of your exhaust pipe ( = bad ).

[edit on 18-8-2010 by blood0fheroes]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by blood0fheroes

Although your premise is correct carbon dioxide, nitrogen, oxygen and many other chemicals are very essential for the green world we live in. However you’re over simplification is misdirected. Natural rising and falling of levels of carbon dioxide has and can be measured throughout hundreds of thousands of years with ice samples from such regions as Antarctica. However, in the last 100 years scientists have measured a dramatic increase in the amounts of carbon dioxide which has never naturally occurred. To quote, “There is no scientific debate on this point. Pre-industrial levels of carbon dioxide (prior to the start of the Industrial Revolution) were about 280 parts per million by volume (ppmv), and current levels are greater than 380 ppmv and increasing at a rate of 1.9 ppm yr-1 since 2000. The global concentration of CO2 in our atmosphere today far exceeds the natural range over the last 650,000 years of 180 to 300 ppmv. According to the IPCC Special Report on Emission Scenarios (SRES), by the end of the 21st century, we could expect to see carbon dioxide concentrations of anywhere from 490 to 1260 ppm (75-350% above the pre-industrial concentration).” --- www.ncdc.noaa.gov...

This human caused increase in carbon dioxide is in direct relationship to the industrial age. Scientists have concluded this anthropogenic effect will cause the permafrost to melt in the northern tundra. Which will cause another dramatic release of gas, methane; this in turn will cause human caused global warming to have a very long lasting effect upon our biosphere; causing global climate change. This change will cause vegetation to either completely disappear or dramtically decrease, while undoubtedly causing the relocation for areas for crop growth, increasing deforestation, and the rise of sea levels worldwide.

Currently 22% of all carbon dioxide found in the atmosphere has been released by human causes, such as by the burning of fossil fuels, by producing cement, carrying out land clearing, and forest combustion, etcetera. However, I do find it slightly humorous lay people still think somehow they can dismiss human caused global climate change. Maybe you should enroll into a biology university class, (no pun intended), I was a skeptic at one time, however the science is not treated as a debatable issue anymore like back in the 90s, there are countless classes where this phenomena is being treated with scientific scrutiny, research and study. Every year there are more graduates entering the scientific community working on this problem.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Just because it's now being taught does not prove it to be fact.

Please then explain how the other planets in our solar system are also heating up. Are they going to try and pin that on us as well and in the process tax us even further?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Namaste1001

Let me reply with a feeble attempt at sarcasm. Just because gravity is being taught in school doesn't mean it is a fact, just because quantum mechanics is being taught in universitites doesn't mean its a fact, just because the existence of dinosaurs have dispelled the myths of dragons, it doesn't mean its a fact.

Please don't take this harsh, but just because you either disagree or are not aware of the science, it doesn't mean they will stop teaching human caused global climate change as a scientific fact. Maybe you should do a quick google search of how many univeristy biology syllabi include this as scientific fact right along with all the above science. Lay peoples refusal to understand doesn't stop the progression of science, science is not a belief system.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Should people live more sustainably? Yes, of course, we have a long way to go on that front.

Are humans impacting their environment? Certainly they are, and as you point out, not always for the better.

Is global warming a scam that is used by TPTB to extert control? Yoooo betcha.

Is the data Globalclimatechangeologists use: a) Technically faulty b) Such an incredibly small amount of data that it is hardly even anecdotal. c) compromised by "scientists" that want to believe so badly they cherry-pick data and ignore conflicting studies. OR d) ALL OF THE ABOVE. ?

In no way do I mean to disrespect, but you're being played by the green religion my friend. Wake up. You're heart is in the right place, but modern science isn't some infallable giant brain sitting in marbled halls.
There is not a consensus among scientists, there's a media consensus to supress dissent about global warming.
www.canadafreepress.com...

We need to be better stewards of our earth for sure, but this green religion is simply a tool to cause western guilt, gain control and sell carbon credits.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Aye, and I agree the facts are not up for debate, as they are indeed facts. However unlike the followers of the eugenics movement - which many in our government as well as those around the world are members - I disagree with the conclusion.

As stated previously, I know what the direct effects of increases in carbon dioxide are.
That being, thicker, stronger flora to feed us and give us ever more oxygen.

Herein lies the difference in ideologies between myself and those in government. Those who seek to control, and to dominate will tell try and sell you any excuse they can to "cull the herd", or to tax you into slavery.

I say that in a symbiotic such as that between animals and plants (we both give each other food, and air to breathe) where one increases, so does the other.
Also as I said before, who of us is to say that warm = bad? In an ever-changing world, the only bad thing is stagnation,the lack of change. Just because it is not what we are accustomed to does not make it bad.

When we finally stop trying to control everything (which is the height of ego) only then will we reach natural equilibrium.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
paragraphs, paragraphs!!

the only thing certain is that we need to improve our techs and stop hurting nature the way we are doing simply because its wrong

but, to say that climate change is directly caused by men is a stupid statement, you just need to search around, there is no conclusive evidence, so, you just CANT state that

and lets be real, the solution proposed by AL GORE only will make some people more richer, it wont solve the problem, so, I propose the disclose of these black organizations technologies to be implemented in real life, instead of futuristic weapons

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
So sad.

Brainwashing works, and another generation will be controlled.

Seminary is a university also-----so which one teaches the truth?

1971 the uni's though we were on the brink of man made ice age. (cover of time magazine---look it up.)

Don't believe blindly---anything at all----- look up and study the data yourself.
Not the lazy way, studying the summaries, but the actual raw data.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmosGraber

Originally posted by Namaste1001

Let me reply with a feeble attempt at sarcasm. Just because gravity is being taught in school doesn't mean it is a fact, just because quantum mechanics is being taught in universitites doesn't mean its a fact, just because the existence of dinosaurs have dispelled the myths of dragons, it doesn't mean its a fact.

Please don't take this harsh, but just because you either disagree or are not aware of the science, it doesn't mean they will stop teaching human caused global climate change as a scientific fact. Maybe you should do a quick google search of how many univeristy biology syllabi include this as scientific fact right along with all the above science. Lay peoples refusal to understand doesn't stop the progression of science, science is not a belief system.

At one time didnt they all teach creationism? Didnt they teach that the earth was the center of the universe? Like the above poster said, just cause they teach in universities doesnt always make it a fact.

I will agree with you that renewable energy sources is a good idea. I mean, why the hell not if its cheaper and runs out less im all for it. Ill also agree that humans effect the earth, not so much the climate tho. The climate is unpredictable at the best of times to trained meteorologists.

But, to say that humans are the direct cause of all that is wrong with the natural world is rediculous. Everytime some major natural disaster happens we blame it on global warming from earthquakes to hurricanes to tsunami's. Its getting old.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
It always comes down to a "right wing conspiracy". We cause localized and regional pollution.Best read the DATA, not a computer modeled simulation that can't predict anything.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Whoa so much paranoia over academia. I always wonder why people somehow connect the idea that scientific academic study is somehow connected with irrational and overreaching government interference into personal lives brings to mind my signature quote, “Wherever there is authority there is no freedom”.

Originally posted by gotrox
Don't believe blindly---anything at all----- look up and study the data yourself. Not the lazy way, studying the summaries, but the actual raw data.

Your assumption may apply to some, but it doesn’t apply to me. I am a graduate, with high honors, from Indiana University, I graduated 3rd in my class. As I stated before, I was very skeptical, I try to live by the premise never to be too quick to accept, but at the same time never be too quick to dismiss.

Originally posted by blood0fheroes
Herein lies the difference in ideologies between myself and those in government. Those who seek to control, and to dominate will tell try and sell you any excuse they can to "cull the herd", or to tax you into slavery.

Again I agree with your premise but you’re a little misguided on your conclusion. TPTB are not the forces of the world’s governments, they are just puppets to those multi-national corporations and people in those ivory towers which want you and the rest of the world to remain addicted to oil. The, the real powers that be, want human caused global climate change to remain misunderstood by lay people; THEY don’t want a thing to change. They like society to remain as gregarious sheep all marching into line right into their den of wolves. Personally, I don’t want things to remain the same; personally I would love to leave my grandchildren a world less polluted, less impoverished, and freer to pursue a higher state of human evolution, instead of this primitive mutated ape culture we are now enveloped in.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by blamethegreys
Is global warming a scam that is used by TPTB to extert control? Yoooo betcha.
There is not a consensus among scientists, there's a media consensus to supress dissent about global warming.
We need to be better stewards of our earth for sure, but this green religion is simply a tool to cause western guilt, gain control and sell carbon credits.

Again the powers that be are not the ones wanting to stop the over pollution of industrial production, the powers to be are not the ones wanting to stop the world’s addiction to the burning of fossil fuels, the powers to be are not the ones wanting to stop the deforestation of the world’s rain forests. You really cannot believe TPTB are the people, scientists and/or organizations concerned with the condition and legacy we in this present generation will leave our environment?

Although a complete 100% consensus is never achieved in science and neither should there be. However, again the media is not experts or scientists; I could care less what the 24/7 yellow sensationalist media outlets of the present have to say. However, if I want to know about how a molecule reacts with a virus, I’ll ask a microbiologist. If I would like to know how the orbit of Pluto moves through the solar system, I’ll ask an astronomer. Peter T. Doran and Maggie Kendall Zimmerman of the Earth and Environmental Science department of the University of Illinois at Chicago did exactly this when it comes to the question of examining the scientific consensus on climate change.

They sent out two questions to 10,257 earth scientists, ranging in fields from climatologists, geologists, biologists, and other varying fields of related scientific study. The two questions were this:

1. When compared with pre-1800s levels, do you think that mean global temperatures have generally risen, fallen, or remained relatively constant?

2. Do you think human activity is a significant contributing factor in changing mean global temperatures?

Their results: 90% answered risen to question one, while 82% percent answered yes to question two, what is even more interesting in their study is how lay people percentages are way lower than the scientific experts.-- tigger.uic.edu...

It would be my assessment too many lay people make their presumptuous conclusions while lying on their couches watching their favorite 24/7 yellow news commentator telling them human caused global climate change is some kind of paranoia fantasy promoted to only raise their taxes (their favorite tactic), making them give up their combustion engine cars, while forcing them to do things that would rob them from all that leisure time typing on a computer or lying on a couch staring at the television set.

I do agree with you we ALL need to be better stewards of our world. If a genie could grant me a wish it would be this: that we all stop arguing who, how, and why is our world polluted, drinking water is undrinkable, forest’s are disappearing, and the level of extinction of species is incriminatingly increasing. And that we as a society take that next great step into a future where these problems become part of a history book, not a biology textbook. When I was a child (when television stations went off the air at midnight) I’ll never forget when the stations would sign off playing the national anthem, while showing the video of a Native American Indian upon a horse looking out upon the polluted America, while the camera would zoom into just below his eye while a tear would fall down his cheek.

[edit on 18-8-2010 by AmosGraber]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Sure man made global warming, can I pay the taxes to you or mother nature directly, I hear she only accepts VISA.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by broli

I hate to repost, but maybe you didn't read my above statements, about how the media uses the fear and paranoia to get people to accept that everything is just hunky doory. So let me re-reply to the idea you typed:

It would be my assessment too many lay people make their presumptuous conclusions while lying on their couches watching their favorite 24/7 yellow news commentator telling them human caused global climate change is some kind of paranoia fantasy promoted to only raise their taxes (their favorite tactic), making them give up their combustion engine cars, while forcing them to do things that would rob them from all that leisure time typing on a computer or lying on a couch staring at the television set.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   

They have taught evolution for years
dude and it is still a theory isn't it?

It says in the Bible that the earth is a sphere and is hung in space.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by slugger9787

If evolution is a theory....I sure would like to know why my bloodhound doesn't resemble a gray wolf!

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Did you know that 450 million years ago our planet had 10 -20x the amount of CO2 present as is currently? What's interesting about this time period is that it was the coldest ice age in the past 500,000 million years.

[edit - clarity]

[edit to add image]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b791183fe01a.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 18-8-2010 by misinformational]

[edit on 18-8-2010 by misinformational]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join