It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baghdad suicide bomb hits army recruits, kills 60, wounds 125

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Article

BAGHDAD – A suicide bomber blew himself up Tuesday among hundreds of army recruits who had gathered near a military headquarters in an attack officials said killed 60 and wounded 125, one of the bloodiest bombings in months in the Iraqi capital.

The massive strike just outside a major division headquarters and recruitment center is an embarrassment to Iraqi security forces and casts doubts on their ability to protect themselves and the nation just two weeks before all but 50,000 U.S. troops head home.

Yasir Ali, who had been waiting outside the military headquarters since 4 a.m. with about 1,000 other hopeful recruits, said he saw the bomber, describing him as a blond young man. Ali said the bomber was sitting quietly among the recruits, then walked up to an officer collecting I.D. cards and blew himself up.

I usually dont post stuff like this, but this attack has been one of the worst in months. 60 killed, 125 wounded.

Iraq dosent seem to be getting "safer" at all, even though the US is starting to bring back the troops. I dont think we have had "mission accomplished" yet. After all the troops are gone, I wonder what the country will be like.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

It really is horrible. These bombings are just reported as the norm by the media as events in Afghanistan hog the T.V. screens these days.

The worst of the secterarian killings of 2005-2007 may be over, (mainly because the Shia groups won, with the help of U.S. forces, by driving out the Sunni communites from Baghdad) but these (bombings and government reprisals) will continue for years to come.

They do not even have a functioning government at the moment due to the political deadlock since the General Elections earlier in the year.

I don't know how Iraq is going to move forward. The only thing keeping them afloat is the oil money but that which in turn is not being effectively directed towards the needs of the Iraq people i.e. a fucntioning electricity network, sewage works and real security.

The U.S. replaced a sociopathic Sunni tyrant who provided well paying jobs for his entourage and an economy for the wider public that could support them with a Shia-Kurdish tyranny that provides well paying jobs for their entourage but little else for the wider popuation.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by Peruvianmonk]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
reply to post by buni11687

It really is horrible. These bombings are just reported as the norm by the media as events in Afghanistan hog the T.V. screens these days.

The worst of the secterarian killings of 2005-2007 may be over, (mainly because the Shia groups won, with the help of U.S. forces, by driving out the Sunni communites from Baghdad) but these (bombings and government reprisals) will continue for years to come.

They do not even have a functioning government at the moment due to the political deadlock since the General Elections earlier in the year.

I don't know how Iraq is going to move forward. The only thing keeping them afloat is the oil money but that which in turn is not being effectively directed towards the needs of the Iraq people i.e. a fucntioning electricity network, sewage works and real security.

The U.S. replaced a sociopathic Sunni tyrant who provided well paying jobs for his entourage and an economy for the wider public that could support them with a Shia-Kurdish tyranny that provides well paying jobs for their entourage but little else for the wider popuation.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by Peruvianmonk]

The globalist elite do not really care about rebuilding Iraq to when, its pre-Saddam era, where it was one of the most Westernized Arab nations at the time.

They want to see the nation slowly crumble from infighting while they loot the oil resources and launder the monetary revenue through Wall Street so that they can finance the one world order.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
The media does report these just as if they were the norm. We barley hear about the other bombings/shootings there that happen daily. I went on the the Icasualties website and looked up the Iraqi deaths. There is a pretty high number for every month. In July for example, there were 497 civillian deaths. Thats an extremely high number, considering the US has said "mission accomplished". Heres the link if anyone wants to see the numbers. Link

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
This is happening a lot more than is being reported.

Iraq isn't ready.

Government isn't cohesive.

Infrastructure isn't adequate.

Military and police aren't ready.

Funny how the US military is still in places like Europe, Japan, Korea and others over half a century after those wars but we're leaving Iraq.

Seems to me that the powers that be are still intent on breaking the US economy. If Iraq were to recover then the US would have access to oil that they could afford and Iraq would end up leading the middle east in oil production within a decade.

Seems like Neither Iran (who is financing these attacks and even sending the individuals) nor the present US administration cares to see a rebuilt Iraq or a source of affordable oil for the US.

Nobody will be pulling oil out of Iraq the way things are going. Nor Afghanistan. Nor the US either if the administration has its way.

Iran is selling oil for euros which is weakening the dollar more and the US govt is still throwing away any chance of getting oil aside from paying exhorbitant prices due to "shortages"

It's been 10 years and hundreds of billions. Now we take off when the whole thing is actually getting close to turning around and they are finally drilling?
And we leave the Iraqis in the lurch to boot.

They need to sell the oil as badly as the world needs to buy it. The Iraqi people live in poverty while sitting on top of trillions that they can't use.

So, why?

Meanwhile the MSM doesn't report a fraction of these suicide attacks and only seems to sensationalize the most successful ones.

They don't want the world to know how big a blunder this is until it's too late and the US is paying a premium for oil to finance it's enemies activities even further.

Am I just crazy here or does this all make no sense?

[edit on 17-8-2010 by badgerprints]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Iraq is still a mess for the most part, after the USA leaves blood will be spilled...all those corrupt whores to America that find safety in the green zone will be dragged out and hanged in the street by the 'commoners' after America leaves, knowing that many of these people sold out their country. It is a ticking time bomb imo...most are just biding their time, which they have plenty of...America doesn't.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
To any reasonable mind, an attack as devastating as the one today should raise alarms in the US and the rest of the world that Iraq may not be ready to take over as soon as the Administration would like? That place is a hellhole with no power, refuse in the streets, bandits robbing and stealing with impunity, a government dead in the water, terrorists and insurgents pouring out of Iraqi run prisons, and security forces who have become walking targets with this most recent suicide attack on their base.

Personally, I think the US government is working like crazy to get the hell out of there, because they don't want the American people learning that Iraq Reconstruction money had disappeared into thin air.

. . . the Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction, known as SIGIR, as much as 96 percent of the $9 billion provided by the Development Fund for Iraq (DFI) for reconstruction cannot be properly accounted for, noting that poor management and lack of regulations have led to the missing funds.

abcnews.go.com...

Most likely, practically all of it is gone? To put it into perspective about how serious the fraud is to the American taxpayer, 96 percent is unaccounted for or missing? As I see it on thing is for certain, the contractors and bureaucrats used the War in Iraq as their own personal atm machine. Or a government run ponzi scheme. When it was reported, why was it reported so sparingly? Why no Justice Department investigation and no hearing on the subject?

What happened to all that money that the US taxpayer donated to Iraq in good faith that our government would use it for the right purposes to see that country ascend from the ashes? Oh yeah, at the same time those same taxpayers were having their sons, daughters, husbands, and wives being maimed, mutilated, and killed just a few years ago.

The whole thing stinks to high-heaven and the government wants us out of there as soon as possible. Moreover, they have worked long and hard to shift the focus from Iraq to Afghanistan. It seems they are using this withdrawal as means to shift the attention of the American people elsewhere, and mask the epidemic criminality that had taken place during the war? What a mess!

[edit on 17-8-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Just another normal day, in paradise, for the peace loving islamic based population.

Where are all the Islamic apologist at ATS talking about islam being tolerant and full of love.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Is the world prepared to see Iraq collapse into chaos after our troops pull out?

Is the world prepared to deal with the reality of how many soldiers, foreign and US, died in vain for a War that many people feel should have never been fought anyway? and the civilian losses too...

Why?

To keep a campaign promise....

Pull out now so we can just return 5 years down the road.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by jibeho]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by hinky

Could you show me where it says 1.5 billion people were responsible for this suicide attack? or are you just imagining things again? i guess creating fictitious facts is the only possible way to have such an irrational, hate filled view make any sort of sense.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by hinky

So if a mortar round fired by a Christian soldier kills Iraqis, would you ask "Where are all the Christian apologists at ATS talking about Christianity being tolerant and full of love?" At what point do we separate this from religion?

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687
Article

BAGHDAD – A suicide bomber blew himself up Tuesday among hundreds of army recruits who had gathered near a military headquarters in an attack officials said killed 60 and wounded 125, one of the bloodiest bombings in months in the Iraqi capital.

The massive strike just outside a major division headquarters and recruitment center is an embarrassment to Iraqi security forces and casts doubts on their ability to protect themselves and the nation just two weeks before all but 50,000 U.S. troops head home.

Yasir Ali, who had been waiting outside the military headquarters since 4 a.m. with about 1,000 other hopeful recruits, said he saw the bomber, describing him as a blond young man. Ali said the bomber was sitting quietly among the recruits, then walked up to an officer collecting I.D. cards and blew himself up.

I usually dont post stuff like this, but this attack has been one of the worst in months. 60 killed, 125 wounded.

Iraq dosent seem to be getting "safer" at all, even though the US is starting to bring back the troops. I dont think we have had "mission accomplished" yet. After all the troops are gone, I wonder what the country will be like.

when we are gone there will be no more suicide bomber. we were there believing if we destroyed iraq, we would bring peace to our country, our families and friends, even to the world. to protect our national interest, we turned their country into a battlefield, we ravage and laid to waste their country. when we're through, they are left to suffer the pain and misery. rebuilt what we destroyed and mourn the lost of their families and friends.

tell me then, put yourself in the shoes of a man who's family has been slaughtered, or a son who's father was gunned down by helicopters by "accident", wouldn't you want revenge? wouldn't you want those responsible to pay?

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
"describing him as a blond young man."

new topics

top topics

join